Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Maybe moving to Houston

Hey guys There's an opening for me at the Houston Airport Bush Intl.(IAH).
    I'm looking at moving somewhere within 15 to 20 mins of the airport.
    I'd like to be in a good school district and, most important, near awesome trails.
    I've heard "The Woodlands" is nice.

Anybody have ideas and/or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Bikingscott.

mtbr member
    BikingScott, I sent you a PM

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I would suggest Kingwood. We are northeast of the airport with no where near the traffic you would have driving from The Woodlands. We have over 60 miles of greenbelt trails. Welcome to Kingwood Texas - www.Kingwood.com for some information.

Check my website for more bicycling information about Texas and my rides. Texbiker.net
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I work for the City of Houston at IAH and I lived about 1/2 an hour west of IAH and only 1 mile from the Cypresswood trails. Pretty good trails for this part of the Houston metro area. Who are you working for?

YKN

Ugly As F*ck
    Umm, where exactly are you moving FROM?

Trust me when I say this, NO job is worth moving to Houston for. I don't care if it's six figures, don't do it.

There are airports everywhere. Mountains however, aren't everywhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    Umm, where exactly are you moving FROM?

Trust me when I say this, NO job is worth moving to Houston for. I don't care if it's six figures, don't do it.

There are airports everywhere. Mountains however, aren't everywhere.
    OK guys you're gonna love this. I'm moving from San Diego, where it's 70's year round. If it's over 80 it's too hot. If it's less than 65 it's too cold.
    Plus we have epic trails such as Noble Canyon and Anderson/ World Cup.

I know, I know. Laugh your a$$ off. But jobs in aviation are ( except for building Drones) are declining in SoCal. And that's my line of work.

My company, Mesa Airlines is opening up an E-175 base there.
    I'm tired of spending my days off sitting in the back of an airliner going to n from work.

So... How bout them Padres. Umm I mean Astros, Texans. Wait. What's the baseball team there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDocTx View Post
    BikingScott, I sent you a PM
    Got it. Thanks

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingScott View Post
    OK guys you're gonna love this. I'm moving from San Diego, where it's 70's year round. If it's over 80 it's too hot. If it's less than 65 it's too cold.
    Can't stress this enough, don't do it. Never put a job/money before something that you're passionate about or something that brings you joy. The trails here are crowded, flat and boring as all hell. Nothing that even comes close to proper MTB.

I've been dying to move out of Houston as long as I can remember. It wasn't until I started riding that I had motivation and purpose to move, finally. I nearly quit my job to move to a place where I can MTB a couple years ago. I held out because I was supposed to get a job transfer to a prime MTB location last August. Never happened. They won't tell me if the new location is opening or not. Bottom line, I'm quitting my job of 6 years this summer to up and move somewhere on the west coast. I don't make a lot, but it's good money for someone like myself with no degree. No matter where I go I'll be taking a huge pay cut. Also giving up 2 weeks paid vacation a year. It's hard to walk away from all of that, but I can't take it here any more.

And it's not just about mountain biking. This is an awful place to live in general. Traffic is beyond ridiculous at this point and is only getting worse. And people here are total a$$holes. Get ready to deal with out of whack egos on a daily basis if you come here. Being outdoors during the day in the summer is unbearable. There's really nothing good I can say about Houston, or anywhere in TX for that matter.

And if you do decide to come here. Please trade places with me. I've always wanted to go to San Diego. Not my dream spot, but the trails there look pretty damn good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Wow, san diego...

I moved here (Houston) from Denver, and I was miserable for the first several years.

Been here like 14 years now, and have gotten used to it. Houston has a booming job market, and the wife and I both have great jobs. The schools we picked for our kids are great and new, we can afford a luxurious house for what a condo costs in SD.

we all make tradeoffs I guess.

I don't know what your family situation is, but I would look carefully at the school system if you have kids, since one school district is widely different from another, and even different schools can be materially different within a single district.

I hope your opportunity pays well, since you're giving up a lot on the "pleasant climate, outdoor lifestyle, and beautiful scenery" front. Choose carefully where you live for schools and demographics that you feel comfortable with.

I wish I lived somewhere else with less traffic, shorter commutes, less ugly landscape, etc. but I cant think of another place in the US where both my wife and I could have great jobs that offer the income and flexibility that we want.

Depending on where in Houston you live (as anywhere) people are extremely nice and outgoing, always ready with a quick smile & helping hand. on the other hand if you live in tougher neighborhoods, prepare for that kind of experience; a bunch of super-proud, broke-ass opinionated fatasses with 7 pickups parked in the front yard grass & beer cans all over. Not that they're bad people or anything, that's just the kinds of choices they make.

Ugly As F*ck
    You just described the typical redneck, which this whole state is littered with. And surprisingly a lot of them make a lot of money and live in these so called "luxury" neighborhoods. If he's moving into a tougher neighborhood he should be prepared to be the only white guy (if he's white) amongst a slew of Mexicans and blacks. And prepare to have his belongings stolen on a regular basis.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I moved from Chicago to the Woodlands. I always heard that you can live anywhere for 5 years. In reality it is 3.

The Woodlands is VERY suburban. If you enjoy a city life, it is 45 minutes to an hour to get into downtown with traffic and whatnot.

I don't golf and we don't have kids. That is why we did not fit in. Oh, and I was a democrat (and this was back in the early 90's.) I can only imagine what it is like now.

They did a good job of planning for the infrastructure, but the last time I was there it felt like they were growing over that infrastructure.

We chose the woodlands because we wanted a place that would hold its value in the near term. We were able to make money after selling the house 2.5 years after we moved there. Definitely look at the neighborhood and the adjacent tracts of land. One of the things that impacts housing value is whether, when you want to sell, you are competing with new houses. When we were selling you could still buy the same house in our neighborhood and have it built on a lot. In less than 6 months. So people come in, like your floor plan, don't like your wallpaper and just have one built to their style.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Re: Maybe moving to Houston

Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    I moved from Chicago to the Woodlands. I always heard that you can live anywhere for 5 years. In reality it is 3.

I don't golf and we don't have kids. That is why we did not fit in. Oh, and I was a democrat (and this was back in the early 90's.) I can only imagine what it is like now.
    Man...hate hearing this. We, too, dont golf and don't have kids. And we're young (26-27). Where else in Texas have you lived?

Looking to get into the O&G business and it's just Houston Houston Houston!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Not golfing doesn't matter.

Not having kids also doesn't disqualify anyone from being accepted. you just get to do stuff you like, instead of building your activities & social life around your kids.

Houston is place to be for career in O&G. it's just brutally hot in summer and not very scenic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingScott View Post

Anybody have ideas and/or suggestions?
    BikingScott pay no attention to the haters on here as someone raised here in Houston I can say this if you are looking for the good you will find it if your looking for the bad you will find it. Like any large metropolitan Houston (4th largest city in the country) has its problems with crime, traffic etc...

However Houston has a lot to offer number one is our economy is booming Texas has weathered this ongoing economic malaise that the rest of the country has been suffering through for the last six years our unemployment is W A Y below the national average.

Your cost of living is low meaning that your paycheck will go much further and we have no state income tax or any of those ridiculous taxes you pay out in California.

Housing is affordable if you don't believe me just browse around on a local real estate website.

Houston has more Fortune 500 headquarters than anywhere in America except for New York.

Houston has about a bazillion places to eat there's a spectacular range of ethnic cuisines, fantastic seafood, and great barbecue.

I could go on and on but you get the drift and like anything you get out of it what you put in, the haters only want to see the negatives.

Houston has a diverse cycling scene and it will be easy to find folks that have the same interests as you do so don't worry about that.

Worried about the oppressive summer heat? do what the rest of us do in the summer migrate to Colorado; Texas’ playground and rip up the trails there while is 100 degrees out and 99% humidity.

Houston for many of us is a means to an end make a sh*t-load of money live dirt cheap so you can live anywhere and do anything you want later.

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't” ― Jerry Rice

Oh and one last piece of important advice BikingScott don't bring your blue state political ideologies that screwed up the state your escaping from to Texas.

Also it's a good idea to get a (CHL) Concealed Handgun License.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ that last sentence makes it sound like he'd need concealed handguns to engage in the usual weekend shootout / hostage situation / gang-banging, etc. lol.

It's always a good idea for everyone to be able to defend themselves; it makes it a little less likely people will succumb to stupid temptations if they think the other person may be able to defend themselves better than it appears on the surface.

You don't have to carry in TX if you don't want to. I've not had a single occasion in the last 14 years where I felt like I needed to defend myself with a firearm (not that I don't have them available). That may just reflect my choices in lifestyle, neighborhood and temperament though...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by L8APXR View Post
    You don't have to carry in TX if you don't want to. I've not had a single occasion in the last 14 years where I felt like I needed to defend myself with a firearm (not that I don't have them available). That may just reflect my choices in lifestyle, neighborhood and temperament though...

There are alot of crazy people in the world and it doesn't matter if you go to sketchy places or not crap can happen. I refuse to be a victim to some low life.

Paranoid? I don't think so. I also have health and life insurance, a fire extinguisher, a spare tire and I back up my hard drive daily. Not worried about my health, a house fire, flats or computer crashes. Those are just prudent things to do or have.

Anything can happen to you even though 99.99% of the time nothing will. I'd rather have it and never need it than to need it one time in my life and not have it.

Let There Be Rock
    My $250,000 house in Houston is $1.6 million in San Diego.

I love Texas. From California but Texas is in my blood.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Houston can offer cheap(er) housing (prices are getting inflated because hedge funds and cali investors are coming in and buying everything they can get their grubby hands on), good wages in oil and gas and medical field, and cheap restaurants...that's about it...the nite life is ridiculously lame and can offer only places that bang top 40...if you like chain restaurants and suburbia character, then you would like the woodlands...we do have a decent museum district which even goes so far as opening up one evening a month with music, drinks, and food trucks...live music pales in comparison to many cities, larger and smaller...and on the topic of mountain biking since this is an mtb forum, BLECH!! there is one trail in central Houston and maybe six others 25-45 min drive from downtown. they are decent trails, but you can't practice climbing or descending here, and I honestly don't think they are technical in the least bit. closest thing to technical would be Austin

Let There Be Rock
    I take all the money I save living in Texas and travel to all the biking hotspots. My job is in Texas so I have to adapt.

mtbr member
    I'm considering moving back to The Woodlands after being in Denver for 3 1/2 years. I came by yall's side of the forum to see if there were any mountain bike spots opening up since I moved. I think I am gonna stay put in Denver. I'll take the smaller house and higher cost of living to live where I want instead of somewhere that I am saving money to leave.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    you've made a wise choice
    plus with the $hit ton of people moving here these days, traffic is not getting any better

mtbr member

*update*

Well, I'm here now. It's not as hot n humid as I thought it would be... For now.
    Anyway, I've taken up a temporary residence on FM 1960 near Humble.
    Or "Umble" as everyone here calls it. It's ok. I have no complaints.

I am thankful for the advise of my co- workers to avoid "Gunpoint"

Now on to the really important things. Where to ride?

Thanks again everybody for their honest opinions about this area. It's a very large urban area. I expected it to have pros n cons.

Gas is Cheap here!!! Over $1.00/gal less than SoCal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Everything is going to be cheaper than SoCal.

I'm a native Texan. It's hot as hell here, no way around that. But you should be able to find some place to live that's not a complete suburban hell, at least until you want complete suburban hell.

The hill country is two hours north and you will find some decent riding there. If you can stand the drive to the west, Big Bend is a national treasure. And the point about spending the money you save on vacations to places where you really want to bike is quite valid. You can actually drive to Colorado and NM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am not a MTB'r but there are trails to ride in Huntsville State Park, Double Lake in Coldspring and Lake Houston Park. These 3 are within an hour or less from Humble. (I live in Kingwood)
    For more trail information look at GHORBA.org.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    On your way to Colorado stop @ Palo Duro Canyon. At least a couple of days worth of riding. You HAVE to eat at the Big Texan while in Amarillo. Home of the free 72oz steak. My daughter works there as a hostess. She'll get you a good table.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast