mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Madrone Trail 7/6/11

Went out for a very short ride on the Madrone Trail in Canyon Lake, TX. I live in the town so it's a short 5min drive from my house. Usually dont do the first 2mile loop from the trail head cause I'd always get lost, but this time there were actually proper markers telling you where to go etc, including some cool new map markers along the trail. Trail looked nice, and I had a blast on my 45min ride ( first 2.5miles ).

If you havent checked out the Madrone i suggest you do. Had some real technical rocky stuff, along with some great flowing singletrack and short downhill sections.

Thanks, Kevin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the update, Kevin. I might head out there this weekend for an early morning ride. I have avoided going there solo because of the lack of trail indicators and the myriad intersections. Also, always safer to bike with a second person.

-Travis

mtbr member
    Are we talking the same Madrone? There's really only one intersection unless you count the road crossings: http://www.mountainbiketx.com/downlo...ps/Madrone.pdf
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre View Post
    Are we talking the same Madrone? There's really only one intersection unless you count the road crossings:

I am basing my experience from following (trying to keep up with) a fellow Hub Racing team-mate and coming to a few trail splits and one or two not-straight-across-the-road crossings were part of that confusion. I will definitely check it out again now that I looked at the map. Thanks.

I rode Walnut Creek Metro Park solo after having only ridden it once with a friend a few weeks ago. I missed a couple of trails like the BMX loop and I re-rode a number of trails trying to find The BMX loop and other parts of trails I knew I was missing. Not sure why I didn't think to look at a map online or bring one with me. Maybe it is my chauvinistic or getting-lost-is-where-the-adventure-is-at (which is successful more often than not) upbringing.

mtbr member
    alphamav > With the 'nut it's easy to miss some things, sometimes even with a map. I try to bring a map along just in case, no matter how simply I may think a trail is. I know that contradicts everything anyone knows about guys, but hey.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    I'm not sure the "front" section is quite 2 miles, think it's more like 1. Anywho, here's a map of the trail for you. You can view it on bing or download it to a device if you're into that sort of thing

mtbr member
    May 2011

how fast

how fast does everyone ride the madrone whole loop 8ish miles

mtbr member
    I'm fat and slow, it's at least an hour for me. There are fast guys who can knock out a lap in 40ish minutes from what I hear

Big Damn Hero
    I'm going to be in Canyon Lake over Memorial Day weekend and was hoping to ride Madrone while out there. I don't really know much about it nor know anyone who's ridden there. Can anyone provide some info on the trail terrain, elevation, tech level, etc... it would be much appreciated.

I've raced a few hill country places such as Comfort, Camp Eagle, Solavaca and am hoping its similar to places like that.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRsteve View Post
    I'm going to be in Canyon Lake over Memorial Day weekend and was hoping to ride Madrone while out there. I don't really know much about it nor know anyone who's ridden there. Can anyone provide some info on the trail terrain, elevation, tech level, etc... it would be much appreciated.

I've raced a few hill country places such as Comfort, Camp Eagle, Solavaca and am hoping its similar to places like that.
    I frequent the trail at least once a week. Its still a great trail with some great views of the lake. Its still too early for me to know for sure if I'll be available to show you around out there during the Memorial weekend. But If I am available Ill be more then happy to show ya. Trail is about an 8 mile loop and can be technical in a lot of areas. If you've been to FRR in Comfort then I don't see you having any problems out at Marone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    WOW. We did this trail today for the first time ever because we have some family literally down the road. It was GREAT. It was technical in ALL the right places and I feel like it was just at my skill level! I had to stop and take a lot of breathers but at the end of this trail we were so stoked. Here is my map my ride map and my progress. It took me two hours but oh well. I don't know how you guys do it under that, must take practice.

Biked 8.33 mi on 01/04/2014 on 01/04/2014 | CYCLING Training Log Entry | MapMyRide

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I rode it yesterday too. A little windy, but still a great day. My guess is, if you keep riding it, you'll get it down to about an hour - the finest hour-long workout to be had.

Btw...who the hell keeps dragging that damned dead tree into the trail? I'm getting tired of moving it. Speaking of obstacles on the trail, I'm guessing that the corp didn't open up the park to wildlife management (hunting) this year. The deer are thick. I was riding last week and must have ridden up on 30 deer along the way. It was a virtual deer orgy. The smell of bucks in rut was thick. Got a little too close for comfort several times with large, scared wild animals. Kept thinking of that video of the buck attacking a hunter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    There wasn't a tree in the trail when we rode Saturday as far as i know. Saw some deer and we saw some foxes out there too. Can't wait to go back. My local trail here is a corp trail also.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Rode last week, kicked my butt but was awesome!

mtbr member
    I'm going today.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This trail is on my short list to check out. Coming from 30 miles south of Fort Worth, probably around a 2 hour drive...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Madrone Trail 7/6/11

Hope you have fun man,
    I did!
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Might make it down that way during spring break with my wife. We've been planning on a small road trip to the hill country for some trail riding. We rode Colorado Bend S.P. a few weeks ago and really liked it. Need to go back and ride there for sure. Been to Reveille Peak once and want to go back there too, but we will only be there during the week so they may not be open...Any other need to do trails recommended for this area?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Is Austin too far south? You can check out austinbike.com. he has trail reviews for pretty much the whole surrounding area not just Austin.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    Might make it down that way during spring break with my wife. We've been planning on a small road trip to the hill country for some trail riding. We rode Colorado Bend S.P. a few weeks ago and really liked it. Need to go back and ride there for sure. Been to Reveille Peak once and want to go back there too, but we will only be there during the week so they may not be open...Any other need to do trails recommended for this area?
    As far as I know, if you call reveille peak during the week you can ride. You just have to call ahead so someone will be the to take your land use fee.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    Is Austin too far south? You can check out austinbike.com. he has trail reviews for pretty much the whole surrounding area not just Austin.Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    We may actually go as far as New Braunfels so anything within a half hour / hour drive. I am aware of austinbikes site and will refer to it as well as mountainbiketexas. Just thought a shout out to folks in this area might be beneficial, like yours and others insight to the Madrone on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    As far as I know, if you call reveille peak during the week you can ride. You just have to call ahead so someone will be the to take your land use fee.
    Thanks for that info, will keep that in mind. Last time I was there I was on my Yeti 575 26er. Now I'm on a 29er and that technical terrain will be even tougher as I'm still in my learning curve with the larger wheels! (knee and elbow pads may be required)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    We may actually go as far as New Braunfels so anything within a half hour / hour drive. I am aware of austinbikes site and will refer to it as well as mountainbiketexas. Just thought a shout out to folks in this area might be beneficial, like yours and others insight to the Madrone on this thread.
    I would recommend Purgatory & Prospect park in San Marcos. Best way to describe the trail is an out and back with about 4 loops along the way. When It starts out its a bit lame but pretty much after you pass over the damn area the fun begins. Rocks everywhere. I personally love that area. Take left turns along the way until you hit the end. Once there you can make your way back to the trail head. Its really not that hard of a trail to follow. Have fun!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ^^Thanks, looks promising from some of the pics on mountainbiketx.com. Although it appears that parts of the trail are closed or will be closed till June 1st for Golden Cheek Warbler nesting...?? There is so much to choose from in Central TX.

Hoping my parents want their grand daughter for a couple of days!!

Sorry to O.P. for the hi-jack, it just felt like a good resource to tap into!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have only riden Madrone once whe I first started MTB riding. It was about 9 years ago or more. Its a fun trail for sure.

I looked at teh link for the map and saw my old racing buddy Joel on his rigid 29er. LOL. Memories. Thats the first 29er I ever test rode.