mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Looking for places to ride on new years trip to Austin/San Antonio

Thinking about spending the new years weekend on a quick trip from DFW (home) to Austin/San Antonio/hill country. We want to ride each day, but aren't very familiar with trails outside of DFW. I'm already sure I want to go to Reveille Peak Ranch, but what are other good rides in the DFW to San Antonio corridor. We're totally open other than we want to be in San Antonio for new year's eve.

What are everyone's suggestions on where to go?

mtbr member
    I would suggest Walnut Park in Austin...Barton Creek (in Austin) if you can find somebody that knows the trail really well...it can be a little difficult to navigate.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Flat Rock Ranch is known for its goodness and should reopen post hunting season on New Years Day. Located vicinity Comfort, TX (not far from SA).

edit--Walnut Creek is good for a quick 55 to 75 minute ride--follow the blue dots on the signs.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Depending on your fitness level there is no reason you couldn't knock out WC and BCGB in one day, and they are both must rides if you come to Austin.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will start looking into them. How about San Antonio? There has got to be some great riding near there with the Hill Country so close.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Tapatio springs is a fun ride. You have a long climb but worth it when you turn back down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Op Schnabel is in San antonio and is a fun ride if you can follow someone who knows the area.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I'd be happy to show you around the Leon Creek OP Schnabel area when you come to San Antonio. The only caveat is rain. A decent amount of water makes many of the places in Leon Creek to muddy or impassable to ride.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    I'd be happy to show you around the Leon Creek OP Schnabel area when you come to San Antonio. The only caveat is rain. A decent amount of water makes many of the places in Leon Creek to muddy or impassable to ride.
    Thanks, We might want to take you up on that. I am still waiting to see if a few things at work are going to come up to decide whether I have time to make the trip.

Also, thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll be checking everything out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    Is Leon Creek & OP Schnabel two different trails?

I'm a San Antonio native currently living in Austin, so I've only ridden the trails here.

mtbr member
    Just north of San Antonio Government Canyon State Natural Area makes for a Great day ride too. Everything is well marked. Front country is a good warm up. Back country is where all the fun stuff is at. Open Friday through Monday. $6 entrance fee.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Acres View Post

I'm a San Antonio native currently living in Austin, so I've only ridden the trails here.
    Its pretty much the same trail. It would be best to have someone show you around. It could get a little confusing if its your first time out there.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Acres View Post

Yep...Leon Creek trails go from Ingram Mall all the way to I-10/1604. Although I usually turn around at the big bridge aka Bird sanctuary.

If I want a really good workout and have plenty of time I will start at Bandera/Mainland, go all the way to the Bird Sanctuary and hit OP on the way back. You can get over 20 miles of dirt with all kinds of variety depending on your pallet. Single track, drops, jumps and downhills too. No shortage of climbing to get your cardio going.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Reveille Peak is a good ride with great views. Rocky and tough but worth the ride at least once to see if you like it.

Walnut and Greenbelt in Austin are ok, but very crowded with locals. We ride this when we don't have time to drive an hour away. Check Austin Ridge Riders website and you can join a local club ride to get to know the trail.

Riemers Ranch and Pace Bend parks are good rides and worth the drive. They are close to each other on the far west side of Austin and part of the Travis County parks system.

Comfort is also a great trail with a little bit of everything. This would be worth the ride if you are going West but it's a long drive away...few hours from Austin.

Rocky Hill Ranch is another must ride and one of my favorites to ride. However, this is on the east side of Austin and the others are on the west side. If you go to the east side and ride Rocky Hill then also go about 20 min east and ride Bluff Creek Ranch in Warda.

If it were me, I'd come ride Reveille Peak day 1, then go to Riemers Ranch on day 2, Rocky Hill Ranch on day 3.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    These suggestions are great. We're not tied to trails actually being in Austin, just anywhere between Dallas and San Antonio, even if it isn't directly on the I-35 path. We'll have time to get off the beaten path if the riding is worth it.
    Last edited by seancs14; 12-12-2012 at 08:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There are a ton of great trails here, but for the purest hill country riding experience you need to ride the Greenbelt. There you'll find the ledgy embedded limestone that people's eyes twinkle about when they're talking about Austin trails. There are miles of trail in the greenbelt and to truly experience you need to get away from the creek. Starting from Zilker, go ~10 miles, then go uphill away from the creek - you'll find what you're looking for. Please start this adventure early in the day though, you're gonna get lost. If you do, just head down - you'll eventually hit the creek where you can head back home.

Reveille is also a must ride, but for a different reason. It's super unique due to the volcanic dome it's built on.

Walnut is fun but it's a more 'common' mountain experience - fast hard pack. You can get that most anywhere. Warda is like Walnut in this respect.

Rocky hill is pretty common as well, but it's in the Lost Pines of Bastrop which is a remnant forest (from a glacial retreat I think) so that part of it is pretty cool. It's also been around for ages - the trail has stayed the same but I really miss the old bar they used to have there and all the salty regulars.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Madrone Canyon Lake great destination

mtbr member
    Going to piggyback on this thread, rather than start a new one...

The fam is headed to San Antonio next week, and I'm hoping to find a way to get some singletrack in during our weeklong stay. The upside is that our friends live very close to OP Schnabel and Govt. Canyon. The downside is that I doubt I'll be able to ship my bike for the trip (looking into it).

So are those two places the best options for me (since I'll be so close), and where would I be able to rent/borrow a bike?

Thx!