mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Looking for beginning/intermediate riders around Austin

Hey guys,

I just moved here from Tallahassee, and haven't really ridden in about 6 months. I would say I was an intermediate level rider there, but the trails there were mostly hardpack clay with a lot of roots and some embedded limestone, so the loose rocks and gravel out here takes a bit of getting used to.

I like riding fast, flowing trails with a lot of turns and short technical climbs and downhills where you won't end up in the ER if you screw up. Unfortunately I haven't found much of that around here.

So far I've ridden Barton Creek Greenbelt, and found the sections that I tried to be above my skill level. Basically I could ride for a little while, then had to get off and walk the steep big rocky sections. The stair like rocks more than about 2 feet high I'm not really comfortable climbing or descending.

I rode Walnut Creek and there were some fun sections of single track with good climbs through the woods, but they were all pretty short.

I found St. Edwards yesterday and rode the side on the parking area of the creek, it was fun but really easy.

Today I rode part of Thumper but the loose rocks kept giving me trouble. I had to walk up Jack's section, and then almost cleaned Katie's climb until the top section. I explored for a little while but couldn't ride a whole lot consistently, so I went back to St. Edwards. The far side of the creek was a lot more fun, but still fairly small. The long rocky climb up to the Balcones preserve was fun, and a couple small downhill runs as well.

Anyways, I'm looking for riders around the same skill level as me or a little bit better to ride 1-3 times a week or whenever you can to get out on some of the trails around here. It's not all that fun trying to keep up with people a lot better than you, but hopefully after riding here for a couple months I will be able to hang a bit better.

I'm on the north side of town at 183 and 620, and have a flexible schedule, so I can ride during the day when it's less crowded.

Let me know if you would like to get together and hit a few trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You should post up in bike mojo:
    Austin VooDoo

And check out the meetup group:
    The Austin Mountain Bikers Meetup Group (Austin, TX) - Meetup

When you are intermediate/early advanced, ping me and I can show you some things around town.

My site has all the detail you need on trails.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Sunday we are goin to greenbelt all the fun stuff. Most uphills we walk though. Maybe you could get more comfortable seeing a few go down first.

sent from my galaxy tab 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I recomend attending an Austin Ridge Riders group ride. They break into skill groups and a good place to meet riders to ride with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Muleshoe sounds like it would be right up your alley. Also Pace Bend park is in that same area. Both are great trails with flow.