IdontShootPeopleAnyMore

lookin to rent/borrow/buy a bike in aus/san marco

Snagged a dirt cheap flight and made the impromptu decision to fly out and visit my brother in Wimberley, (closest to san marcos) before I head out to start a long term permaculture research project in the Appalachian Mountains.

I am going to fly in AUS airport and be there from apr 9th through 18th and cant quite picture renting a car, so I want to get a bike...

I looked at shipping one of my bikes, and delta wants to charge $200 on top of what the rental case costs (each way) so that is a no go... Also I think boxing it up and UPS ing it is gonna be a little much too... (coming from VA)

It looks like most shops in Austin/Antonio/Marcos want to charge about 45 per day to rent a decent MTB, and at that rate I may as well rent a car... Im not planning on riding every day and probably will spend most daylight working (I work online currently) and just use the bicycle to travel around town and do minimal trial riding, (except for one or two days which I will devote to checking out trails)

Basically I am asking a few things...

-are there any decent rental places that would rent a week for under say $150 for a decent trail worth bike?

-anyone live in san marcos have a beater I could borrow/but cheaply just to get around? (I have been checking c-list in aus and sanmarcos/antonio recently...

--I am also considering buying a used bike for ~400, riding it for a week, then splitting the cost with my brother (who needs a bike and is about the same size as me)

I am a decent mechanic (have worked at LBS's) and am strongly thinking of bringing minimal tools and just buying a beater...

Any advise? thoughts? Recomendations?

Thanks for reading guys, I know this is a long meandering post...

cheers!
    -jeremy
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveByBikeShooting
    Snagged a dirt cheap flight and made the impromptu decision to fly out and visit my brother in Wimberley, (closest to san marcos) before I head out to start a long term permaculture research project in the Appalachian Mountains.

I am going to fly in AUS airport and be there from apr 9th through 18th and cant quite picture renting a car, so I want to get a bike...

I looked at shipping one of my bikes, and delta wants to charge $200 on top of what the rental case costs (each way) so that is a no go... Also I think boxing it up and UPS ing it is gonna be a little much too... (coming from VA)

It looks like most shops in Austin/Antonio/Marcos want to charge about 45 per day to rent a decent MTB, and at that rate I may as well rent a car... Im not planning on riding every day and probably will spend most daylight working (I work online currently) and just use the bicycle to travel around town and do minimal trial riding, (except for one or two days which I will devote to checking out trails)

Basically I am asking a few things...

-are there any decent rental places that would rent a week for under say $150 for a decent trail worth bike?

-anyone live in san marcos have a beater I could borrow/but cheaply just to get around? (I have been checking c-list in aus and sanmarcos/antonio recently...

--I am also considering buying a used bike for ~400, riding it for a week, then splitting the cost with my brother (who needs a bike and is about the same size as me)

I am a decent mechanic (have worked at LBS's) and am strongly thinking of bringing minimal tools and just buying a beater...

Any advise? thoughts? Recomendations?

Thanks for reading guys, I know this is a long meandering post...

cheers!
    -jeremy
    Jeremy,

Will you have access to a car while in Austin? If not, you'll want a car. TX, even Austin, is not the best place to try to ride only. What kind of bike do you have @ home? If I were in your shoes, and had a bike that I liked @ home, I'd box it up, ship it and rent a car (you can do a low impact deal like car2go if you're into that thing). I'd ship the bike via DHL (better than UPS & FedEx price wise) just make sure you do a good job packing the bike. Pipe insulation and tons of zip ties will ensure a safe shipping experience.

Good luck, enjoy the trails.