Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lake Georgetown GWT trail Thursday 8/28 AM - worth it?

7K views 68 replies 15 participants last post by  GlazedHam 
#1 ·
I'll be coming back to ATX to visit family tomorrow, and I want to ride the GWT since seeing its inclusion in the IMBA awards a few weeks ago. Is it really much better than Emma Long? I've done a few other IMBA epic rides up here in Colorado, so I have high expectations of GWT...but I'm also not sure how much it can differ from Emma Long (which I love BTW).

Would anyone else be interested in riding GWT Thursday morning (I'm not great at navigating and would prefer to ride with others)? I've already rented a Remedy from BSS and I guess EL will be my backup.

Thanks,
Dennis

#2 ·
Subscribed.

I'm interested to hear if people feel this trail deserves the status. I live near Austin and have not ridden this trail. I am surprised it has been given this status, I haven't even heard many people speak favorably about the trail. Maybe I should go investigate for myself, mostly I have heard people refer to it as a huge pain in the ass.

#13 ·
I am surprised it has been given this status, I haven't even heard many people speak favorably about the trail. Maybe I should go investigate for myself, mostly I have heard people refer to it as a huge pain in the ass.
Disclaimer: I had a part in the design and development of the trails between Russell, Jim Hogg, and Overlook Parks. I know the trail fairly well.

From what I can discern, you either like it, or you hate it. It's very technical in places (from about mile west of Russell Park all the way to Overlook and from Cedar Breaks until about two miles from Tejas Camp (TC.) From there, it's fairly easy to TC, and it's mostly doubletrack from TC to a mile from Russell.

I like starting at Tejas Camp for a few reasons: It's the closest trail head for me. It gives me the option of either starting or finishing with an easy five mile spin. Either way, somewhere along the half way point from TC, you ride a little over a mile across the dam on pavement. This can be tiring depending on which direction the wind is blowing. Generally, it's out of the south in spring, summer, and fall months. Sometimes it's out of the west. If you ride it counter-clockwise, you'll have a southern wind at your back across the dam but get some wind in your face between Russell Park and Tejas Camp.

The rock is tire shredding embedded limestone with scree in places. There are ledges here and there, too, as well as two or maybe three sets of log steps that I have yet to clear going up. Oh, and there's cacti galore.

As far as the IMBA Epic status goes, it wouldn't have been chosen had it not met the IMBA standards for epic. Those standards do change, so one day it might not be an epic. I submitted the application for epic status and had to answer several follow up questions. I had no idea it was being chosen until IMBA announced it.

To see the various ride times for a full loop and segments thereof, log into Strava to see what people have created and accomplished. I strive for an under-three-hour lap following the "official" loop.

If you're interested in riding the loop and think you can ride it between 2:45 and 3:15 hours, PM me. I can show you around.

D

#3 ·
Is this the trail the goes all the way around the lake? I visited a friend in Austin a few years ago and rode it 2/3 around and it was something else. A lot of the trail is very rocky and slow going. In a few areas the trail faded away and we had to use a map to pick it up again.

All I can say is it's August so you better bring lots of water and sports drink. I don't think I'd ride this trail solo in August. There were a few parks we crossed where you can get water, but it's a long way between. Also bring at least 2 extra tubes and a patch kit, even if you are tubeless. There are plenty of sharp rocks and I managed to cut a tire.

All that being said, it is a really fun trail. I'll try to dig up some pics.

#4 ·
This trail has been on my radar this past week. I've been researching on austinbike.com and mountainbiketx.com sites getting the low down. It's an hour and a half drive from where I live and I have not been there yet.

What is the best trailhead to use / direction of travel?

#5 ·
LGT is a great experience. The trail isn't amazing but it is totally worth it. It's rocky, rough, and you will really feel "out there". I'd say it easily the only place in central Texas I would consider close to an epic (mini-epic maybe, depending on the tempeture).

I have ridden it all the way around both ways and counterclockwise is far better. Navigation is pretty easy but if you have a GPS you might as well bring it. And don't make the mistake of trying to bail out to the roads, you will wind up riding farther and be in the sun. Have fun and watch out for snakes.

#9 ·
This is a great trail, but can be difficult and rocky as hell in places.. NOT FOR BEGINNERS!
Cedar Breaks is free parking, but the lot fills up pretty fast, then you have to park outside the park.
Tejas Camp is one of the best places to go as the rides in either directions start off very easy and flat.
I ride out there a lot... Tejas Camp back towards Cedar Breaks is a nice rugged ride I like.
There are some tough climbs and fun descents.
Use slime tubes and bring a pump and flat kit with you. There are lots of prickly things out there
Here is some vid of part of the trail near sawyer park -
this is heading back to Tejas camp
I had a little crash at the end...lol

The entire ride is about 26 miles or so...
here is my garmin course http://connect.garmin.com/course/5680230

Again, I do not recommend this trail for beginners at all.. the parts by Tejas are OK, but when you get up in the rocks it gets
pretty tough.

hoffmonster

#11 ·
It is not as twisting and turning as Deception, Rim Job or Mulligan, but it is every bit as rugged and more so in many places. You will be tested!
there are not as many switchbacks, etc, but there are a lot more varied rocks and rock gardens, ledges, steep climbs, tricky descents.. It has it all.
From Cedar Breaks park to the other side of Sawyer park (bout 6 -7 miles) is very rugged and has some very tricky ledges going up and down.
Same with Russel park, Jim Hogg parks...

I would say it's a more fun ride simply because it is point to point or there and back with some nice views out in the middle of nowhere... Very isolated.
There are no bail outs. The only way to get to Sawyer park is to hike or ride.. Maybe a boat but you would still have to hike.
BCRT trails are really just maximizing the terrain, which they most definitely do and are good for a quickie 1-2 hour jab. Love them as they are less than a mile from my home.

Goodwater will def test your skills, all of them, especially if you challenge the entire trail in one go.
Lots of water, tubes, pump, goo... bring it all...:)
And the whole time you're riding you will be buzzed by horseflies! especially this time of year, They are very hungry!

#12 ·
Ps hoff i was apprehensive about it but ditch the tubes altogether and convert to tubeless. Its really very simple. Stans sealant, gorilla tape and some tubless tires. The traction is out of this world. Almost anything can puncture and seals instantly. I just pulled about 30 goatheads out of my sons 20" roadmaster and lost no pressure. Plus no patching on the side of the trail! You wont regret it.

#14 ·
Slow down there Tex ... Bring LOTS of tubes to LGT. I run tubeless with orange seal and cut a tire out there. Then pinched the tube I put in, then patched that tube twice. I only made it from cedar breaks to the climb just past the strawberry farm springs thing and bailed through somebody's pasture to hwy 29. I ran out of water also and my forearms were torched from pumping up the tire 8 times.

Aqua World Map Atlas Number

I severely underestimated this trail. At the time I was living in Dallas and 20 miles was a short ride. I knew I was in trouble when it took me an hour to go 5 miles. I was on a surly karate monkey with an 80 mm fork. It's like riding on a cheese grater sprinkled with large razor blades. It's FULL of those Swiss cheese type limestone rocks. The section I rode was pretty slow and hard to keep momentum. I cut the tire early in the ride so I may have just been being cautious. That day sucked.

I even went back and gave it another shot, riding from Russell park. I cut another ardent and thought: "hmm these tires are expensive and I am not having fun..."

For now, I ride a full squish at BCRT weekly and try not to think about LGT. If I win the lottery or come into some extra tires, I may give it another shot. For now, with limited time with toddlers at home I'm all about the fun per minute for me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Damn mallard75! I'm tired just reading your post....but still had to laugh.(laughing with you, not at you!!)
Now I'm even more enticed to ride out at Lake Georgetown. I'm no longer tubeless since getting my new whip, so I think I will try tubes with slime inside. Plus extras.

What trails did you ride regularly when you were in Dallas?

#18 ·
I stand corrected mallard. Ill probably steer clear of this trail as I dont have a life savings to spend on tires and would like to ride for minimal expense to save for a FS. I can see how that would turn into an unpleasant experience pretty quick!
View attachment 923580
I severely underestimated this trail. At the time I was living in Dallas and 20 miles was a short ride. I knew I was in trouble when it took me an hour to go 5 miles. I was on a surly karate monkey with an 80 mm fork. It's like riding on a cheese grater sprinkled with large razor blades. It's FULL of those Swiss cheese type limestone rocks. The section I rode was pretty slow and hard to keep momentum. I cut the tire early in the ride so I may have just been being cautious. That day sucked.

I even went back and gave it another shot, riding from Russell park. I cut another ardent and thought: "hmm these tires are expensive and I am not having fun..."

For now, I ride a full squish at BCRT weekly and try not to think about LGT. If I win the lottery or come into some extra tires, I may give it another shot. For now, with limited time with toddlers at home I'm all about the fun per minute for me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

#29 ·
Totally agree, this s a great ride! Anything can happen to tires, but the ride is awesome! I love the ride from TC to the Cedar Breaks side of Sawyer park. I rode it on 9/16 and it was pretty dry considering the rain we had the days before. not sure it's like that after the last couple days though. that is about a 10 miler give or take. a nice 1 -1.5 hour ride.
Again I think Goodwater is one of the most underrated rides in the Austin area.
Having said all that, my 1st attempt to ride the whole thing ended the same way as Mallard's. and had to bail out the hard way. 2nd time I made it with out issue, albeit it took me 4.5 hours with a few 15-20 minutes rest/food stops. I did it solo.
If anyone wants to go, gimme a shout. hoffmonster at twc dot com. I live 15 minutes from TC. Not sure I can ride it in 3 hours or less, but I would surely give my best shot :)

#20 ·
I'm gonna kick myself for saying this but I have never gotten a flat out there. Actually, I have never even been with anyone, or come a cross anyone with a flat. Though I did find a decent "scratch" on my sidewall after a ride that was simply cured with some superglue. LGT isn't THAT much more gnarly then other central Texas trails, just longer. IMO a hardtail will be fine out there if your used to the local trails.

#23 ·
Finished (I think) deception yesterday during the drizzle and it was fun but challenging with mud caked tires and rocks grinding the paint off my seatstays had to walk alot of the big climbs due to the slippery limestone. I dont think ill be venturing out when wet again for awhile. Anyone have any tips to keep mud out of rear D? And shoes? Probably nothing doable to prevent it but fun none the less, Although slowwwwww progress. I may hit up gtown sometime soon.

#25 ·
I generally start LGT at either Tejas or Cedar Breaks, depending on which way I want to go. I always want to get the Tejas <-> Cedar Breaks section out of the way first, as it's by far the most challenging, and I like to finish it when I'm feeling good. I don't really have a preference on clockwise/counter clockwise.

I'd avoid riding it solo if possible, especially the Cedar Breaks <-> Tejas section. There are some remote areas, and (especially on a weekday) you might have to wait a long time for someone to come by if you get injured. The other sections get more foot traffic since they're good hiking from campsites, but will still be sparsely populated on a weekday.

How long it takes can vary greatly depending on how good you are at riding rock gardens. I generally finish it in 3.5 - 4.5 hours. The 4.5 hours was with someone riding a rigid SS - mad props to him, though. I wouldn't even consider riding with no front suspension there.

#30 ·
Hoff, what days do you usually ride? I would be coming from about an hour and a half / two hours away...(give or take) and I'm usually off tues. - fri.
I don't worry about speed. It's all about the ride for me. Not a racer here, but an off road enthusiast. Followed by some recreational beer consuming usually! (which explains the non-racer description). I will be bringing my wife to do this ride in the near future (maybe)...Which is why I want to try it out first. Although depending on the day, she can be waiting on me bringing up the rear!!
I figure I'll be heading down that direction in the next few weeks waiting for the temps to moderate since it will be later in the morning before I can get there.

#31 ·
I have been trying to ride almost daily with a rest day in there somewhere. Tuesdays are the only day that are questionable for me.
With enough notice pretty much any weekend morning or weekday afternoon is good.

How far do you wanna go? the entire trail is a task you need to be very ready for. (3-4 hours Min) I do a lot of out and backs out there. Waiting for it to cool off a bit more before I do the whole thing again. (last did it in March)

I too am just an enthusiast.. My goal is to not go fast, it's to not fall off the bike and just make it up and down as many obstacles as possible. A recent crash @ BCRT (Rim Job trail) has reinforced that. :)

#32 ·
Being that I work weekends, I will hit up your email to nail down a time that works if possible.
I plan on riding the whole shebang ultimately and in cooler temps... however, it would be cool to get in whatever mileage time allows, as well as getting the lay of the land, directional preferences etc.
I ride Dinosaur Valley alot and get nowhere near 26 miles. Usually 14 miles with the route I ride at around 3 1/2 hours. It can be done quicker!(If I don't stop and smell the roses!)
I have to agree with you, staying on the bike and not crashing has become of more importance for me lately. I'm still nursing a dislocated shoulder from 3 months ago. Not sure why, but I've crashed more lately than in recent years put together. May have to do with my ever devolving eyesight. Gotta love the 40's...

#41 ·
What the hell did I ever do to you bamwa?? That was just mean...However it is a good hike a bike after slicing my tire's sidewall!!;-) Not sure why, but I'm already plotting my next attempt on this damned trail. That (one more time) might be enough to never speak of LGT again!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.