Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Just Moved to Houston from CA - help me find a trail please

Hi All,

I just moved to Houston from the SF Bay Area and I am used to really great trails from every angle. I am mostly a XC rider, but used to lots of climbing and nice technical challenges. I have two custom bikes - a SS, rigid 29er and hard tail 29er. I am a very experienced rider/racer.

Where should I go around here? I live in Northside Village (off either 45 or 59). I don't mind a 45-60 min drive. I have seen list of places on the forums here, but I am not sure which one will be the best for me to start with.

Thanks!

R

MC Hammer
    Ghorba is your friend

Area Trails and Conditions | GHORBA

Obviously there's nothing in Houston that's going to be anywhere near CA in terms of scenery and elevation change. But since you're an XC rider there are some fun fast trails around.

I don't know where North side village is (been out of Houston for a few years) but if it's on the Northwest side of town, Cypresswood is going to be your closest trail.

If you're West/Southwest then The Anthills would be your closest trail, and if you're central, then Memorial Park should work

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    GHORBA also regularly hosts group rides and skills clinics, check those out as well for options on expanding your trail horizons.

mtbr member
    Welcome to Texas! I'm actually up near Dallas, but just got back from NorCal where my girlfriend lived for over 20 years. I finally got to see Marin, Sonoma, Santa Rosa (we stayed in Freestone). I got to see Alcatraz and San Francisco, which was awesome. The AmGen race was rolling through in early May when we were up there.

Hope you find some nice riding. Some of the best that Texas has to offer is a little west of you. Check out this regional map and some of the lists that detail "the best of..."

MountainBikeTx.com | Texas Mountain Bike Trails

the best of...
    MountainBikeTx.com | Top Texas Trails

mtbr member
    If you like XC I'd say head out to Double Lake near Coldspring. It's not very technical or hilly but has the most single track mileage in the area (about 20 miles). I think the trail is closed at the moment for dead tree clearing, but should reopen soon

Double Lake Recreation Area | GHORBA

Huntsville SP would also be a good place for XC riding. The trail has more elevation change than any thing else in the Houston area. The down side is the trail is only like 8 miles long. Huntsville is for sure open right now I rode it 2 days ago and the trail is in good shape.

Huntsville State Park | GHORBA

Memorial park is fun as long as you go in the morning on a weekday. To many people go their after work and on the weekend. Again the down side is it's a short trail system, you have to ride it several times to get a work out.

If your on the north side of town Cypresswood is a good place to go after work. Less crowded than Memorial but just as fun. Ignore the No Trespassing signs after the T C Jester bridge, that's where the best trails are.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone and the great resources! I was thinking about heading out on Sunday for a ride, but it looks like a hot one...and I have not yet acclimated to the humidity. I do not know how you all do it!

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbybird View Post
    I was thinking about heading out on Sunday for a ride, but it looks like a hot one...and I have not yet acclimated to the humidity. I do not know how you all do it!

Thanks again!
    How to avoid the humidity? We move to Dallas.

(then we drive to places like Austin for signs of life and adventure)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone and the great resources! I was thinking about heading out on Sunday for a ride, but it looks like a hot one...and I have not yet acclimated to the humidity. I do not know how you all do it!

Thanks again!
    Welcome to Texas.
    Sorry to say,..but the heat and humidity is gonna get much worse. I hate it with a passion. Would love to move, but the wife won't follow

mtbr member
    I also just moved to Houston but from northern Utah. I know that Austin is a better place to ride than Houston but how are the anthills? I have read about them (I think that's what the trail is called) and they also look promising for xc in the area.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Yeah...darn partners. I had to follow mine here. Oh well, I love him more than mountain biking...slightly.

mtbr member
    The reviews on the anthills are good... I want to try that place out soon too. It is on the opposite side of Houston from her I live... So I am worried about traffic

mtbr member
    The reviews on the anthills are good... I want to try that place out soon too. It is on the opposite side of Houston from her I live... So I am worried about traffic
    Yeah, traffic can be kind of rough here...
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

XC racer
    May 2005
    My favorite "Houston proper" trail is the Ant Hills, followed by Cypresswood. I live within riding distance of Memorial Park but it's so overused and crowded I just can't get excited about going there anymore. Jack Brooks Park on the way to Galveston is also popular with some but I don't make the trip down too often.
    Texas has a very strong racing community (see TMBRA.org) and Huntsville and Double Lake are both venues used in our series. Warda and Rocky Hill are both private ranches that are open fulltime and within a couple hours drive from Houston. Statewide we are blessed with all kinds of cool trails with lots of variety, I like them all.
    PS, just did the Ant Hills yesterday morning, they were in great shape. I did a two hour ride starting at 10 and the heat wasn't unbearable yet.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    I also just moved to Houston but from northern Utah. I know that Austin is a better place to ride than Houston but how are the anthills? I have read about them (I think that's what the trail is called) and they also look promising for xc in the area.
    Anthills is a great place to ride, in my opinion. Get on at Dairy Ashford at the parking lot just south of the bayou. Going east is more technical, west is flatter.

mtbr member
    I just moved to Tomball from Odessa where there are no trails or scenery.

I plan on hitting all the local spots over time.
    Trek 4300 Disc
    Trek Soho S
    Haro 124
    Haro Flightline one

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The best thing about Houston is that it's only 2.5 hours from Austin.

mtbnozpikr: There are no Utah comparable trails in TX, but Reveille Peak has legit trail and campground (but junk map), Barton Creek Green Belt is good in places, and Lake Georgetown is good from what I hear. I hope you're making bank roll by moving to Houston, because you're probably going to hate it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gillespie View Post
    mtbnozpikr: There are no Utah comparable trails in TX, but Reveille Peak has legit trail and campground (but junk map), Barton Creek Green Belt is good in places, and Lake Georgetown is good from what I hear. I hope you're making bank roll by moving to Houston, because you're probably going to hate it.
    I appreciate your insight but have to respectfully disagree. I have been here for about three weeks now and am actually getting ready to fly back to get my stuff and move permanently. I believe that a place of residence is what you make of it (good employment definitely helps). It is definitely different than I'm used to (mountain biker and downhill skier), but am approaching it with an open mind willing to learn the traditions and customs of the area as well as take on some of the hobbies done by the locals. I grew up about an hour south of the Canadian border and have lived most of my life in the northern U.S. (northern Idaho and North Dakota) but so far I am having a great time getting used to Houston and exploring what Texas has to offer.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gillespie View Post
    The best thing about Houston is that it's only 2.5 hours from Austin.
    That's the truest statement about living in Texas. :-) No matter where you live, you are only __________ hours from Austin.

mtbr member
    If you are the racer type check these websites out we have a very active racing scene in Texas

TMBRA - Texas Mountain Bike Racing Association

TXBRA.org = The Texas Bicycle Racing Association

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have not yet acclimated to the humidity. I do not know how you all do it!

This time of year I would suggest getting on the trail as EARLY as possible. Especially in Houston which is extremely humid.

I live in San Antonio and I have been hitting the trail between 6:30 and 7:00 am this summer.
    I'd rather be riding than healing, body armor is your friend !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_R View Post
    This time of year I would suggest getting on the trail as EARLY as possible. Especially in Houston which is extremely humid.

I live in San Antonio and I have been hitting the trail between 6:30 and 7:00 am this summer.
    It is the MOST humid early in the morning. This time of year the humidity is close to 100% in the morning and slowly falls to 50% by mid afternoon.

If the humidity bothers you ride in the evening.

XC racer
    May 2005
    Just wanted to throw in another kudo for Huntsville State Park. Yesterday, while the rest of the Houston area (and most of Texas for that matter) was being rained on, HSP was a small oasis of dryness. We rode there starting around 10:00 and received a couple of light sprinkles but nothing that did anything to the trail surface, it's very sandy right now. Also amazing was how cool it was for July 1, humid yes, but temp only in the low 80's.
    I ride HSP 3-4 times a year and forget sometimes how much I like it. It's easy enough to take a rank beginner to, but has enough challenges for more experienced riders. It's right at an hour away from my central Houston home, probably only 30 minutes or less for those of you in the north burbs. Might go there again this Wednesday on the holiday.

mtbr member
    Lotta Houston folks going up to Rocky Hill Ranch - The Mountain Biking Outdoor Events Capital of Texas | Rocky Hill Ranch on the 4th I think I will dust off the SS for the day and suffer in the heat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    Lotta Houston folks going up to Rocky Hill Ranch - The Mountain Biking Outdoor Events Capital of Texas | Rocky Hill Ranch on the 4th I think I will dust off the SS for the day and suffer in the heat.
    Check out the Super D and report back...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    It is the MOST humid early in the morning. This time of year the humidity is close to 100% in the morning and slowly falls to 50% by mid afternoon.

If the humidity bothers you ride in the evening.
    Can't say I agree with that, in my opinion the combination of low temp ( early am ) and humidity is better than high temp and humidity ( evening ). It takes a long time for the heat of the day to bleed off in the evening this time of year.

I've tried both and I prefer early am, too each his own though.

BTW Welcome to Texas OP
    I'd rather be riding than healing, body armor is your friend !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast