View Poll Results: Do you ride at night?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time

1 7.69%
  • periodically

7 53.85%
  • rarely

4 30.77%
  • No

1 7.69%
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

It's starting to get hot. How many of you night ride?

If so, what light setup do you use? If not, why not?

I ride at night all the time due to job time restraints and a child. I run a helmet mounted Lenzyne 800 lumen light with an old 200 lumen bar mounted as a backup. Works fine for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ride at night periodically at McAllister. I use an 1100 lumen bar mount Magic Shine (I think its closer to 900 lumen), but it is plenty bright for pitch black night riding. I also use a helmet mount with about a 50 lumen light. Works for me. I'm also in the time restraints/child bucket for riding during the week.

mtbr member
    No. Because spiders.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    If it ever actually gets "hot" I will usually just ride the Greenbelt after work. I use a Stella 400 dual on the bars and a Mity-cross 480 on my helmet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    No. Because spiders.
    Is this a phobia? Or have you had a bad experience?

BTW, here's a spider nest from the Greenbelt near the 360 office entrance.

mtbr member

Re: It's starting to get hot. How many of you night ride?

My mom wont let me

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I like to ride really early in the morning and sometimes run a light for the first half hour, until it gets light enough to see without it. This is the coolest part of the day, plus, you have the trails all to yourself. That said, you have to go to bed pretty early to pull this off for many days in a row.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    drmoreall, let me know when and where you will be riding next so I'm not the one clearing all the spiders and there webs! Seems like I've always got some crazy bites after my rides...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    K-Rad,

Ok, you got me there fair enough. I chose to live really close to the trail head for Woodward Park in Waco. There are about 20 miles of trails - all of them rideable in one direction at least :-)

I usually dose up with bug juice B4 riding in the season. Out in the open, road riding, I dose with sun block. I try not to think about what these chemicals are doing to my body when I am sweating like a horse with all pores open to the max. That said, there are some seemingly less toxic bug sprays made from mint, eucalyptus oil, and other stinky plants that bugs avoid. The really interesting thing about the sunblocks stuff is that much of it contains nano-particles, which are often so small they can slip right through the cell wall and into the deepest recesses of the body. According to my smart chemist friends, no one knows what the effect of these particles will be over the long haul.

My motto: Its a good life until you weaken! Said another way, Ride Dammit!

mtbr member
    Ride at night regardless of spiders but if you hear somebody screaming like a woman it's probably me and I more than likely ran into this. Saw this sucker at Mac and it was enormous.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's starting to get hot. How many of you night ride?-image.jpg  

"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
    -Douglas Adams

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

It's starting to get hot. How many of you night ride?

I love night riding. Have been using a Serfas 1500 for the past 3 years but just upgraded to a Trail Led XXX.

Great light with plenty of power to light everything in your path.

Wrote a full length review of the Trail LED XXX with video and more here: http://www.texasmountainbiketrails.c...-light-review/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I tend to night ride more in the winter than the summer due to less daylight after work. I don't mind the heat so much after I get used to it, though I'll avoid some trails with tons of climbing on 100+ days.

mtbr member
    I ride at night about twice a week. It is cooler but also because the kids are in bed. Since I live in the tree-less desert, I don't worry about spiders or snakes in the trees. The most I see are rabbits, mice, beetles, ants, and the occassional tarantula or scorpion trotting across the trail. My setup is a cheapo Chinese light (rated at a not very likely 3500 lumens) from Amazon mounted on the bars and then a Bontrager Ion 700 on my helmet. I have plenty of light to see any potential dangers on the trail...including creepy critters.
    Last edited by Dirt n Dust; 06-26-2014 at 04:05 PM.

mtbr member

Re: It's starting to get hot. How many of you night ride?