mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Interest in a new Gravel Grinder race?

Hi,

I'm working on a course profile for a 200 mile grinder in NE Texas, provisionally for October 2014. Planning a 100 mile route too, as well as shorter/easier rides for family/friends. I'm modeling the ride on the Dirty Kanza. Would have food/music at registration and at finish as well.

Do you think we could get 300 riders for each distance?

thanks, Dave

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    No. Maybe 300 total.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Gravel grinder NE Texas

Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    No. Maybe 300 total.
    Hmmm. Interesting. Dirty Kanza 2014 has 1,200 entry spots and registration closed in 13 days (five months before the event). I talked to the Race Director and they have riders from 40+ states and 7 countries entered. To ride in Kansas. Paying about $90 each depending on the distance.

Do they have great marketing? If so, I will hire Johnny Depp and we can just make it a pirate ride. Kidding.

Why so few potential riders in TX? I'm interested in learning - not critical at all just want to know thoughts.

Dave

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Dirty Kanza is a pretty well known event, obviously, and I think that has the largest effect. But if you look at some of the Spinistry events that are similar to DK the draw is much smaller even though they may be well established locally.

Although the Castell Grind did draw over 300 people, but it's a much shorter ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Would the first Saturday in October be good? Rideable daylight should be about 13 hours. If we start at 6 a.m. I'm thinking the 200 mile people would be riding the last hours in the dark.

Tree Dodger
    Nov 2012
    I'm interested for sure! I would agree that 300 total for the first year would be a realistic goal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hey thanks everyone for the input. I'm working with the City of Palestine as the start/finish host. They are pretty fired up and want to make sure riders and family have a lot of fun - we are looking at good food, beverages and music both at registration and after the ride. As for the course, I have been having a lot of fun designing it - pretty amazing country in the Piney Woods of NE Texas and really nice people. And its NOT flat - there are some short but challenging hills and they add up. Gotta love it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If you build it "they" will come. No reason you can't get huge numbers if you put on a good event-but almost certainly not the first year. Advertise. Let the people know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    To make the ride more accessible to non-hardcore endurance riders I have added a 105 mile loop, and for family and kids a 25 mile loop. I've been out riding the course and fine tuning it - pretty hot now but should be OK in October. All the routes have a lot of shade trees so if its warm that will be a welcome respite. What about dogs - do many people carry pepper spray or do you just yell at them?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I saw the site and am thinking about heading up with a few friends. It' right in between a 750 mile ride and RAT so I may try the 105.

I usually deal with dogs with a quick squirt of a water bottle, or a kick if they are presistant. TBH I have only ever had one dog actually scare me while out riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I was pretty cool with most of the dogs yesterday as I rode the 25 mile route because they barked first. Toward the end, there was a big mastiff that came up on me while I was going uphill - not the the time for out-sprinting. He did not bark until he was about 10' away and he was huge - maybe 150+. To paraphrase Daniel Boone: I wern't skeert but I wuz a mite werried...

Lurker
    May 2008
    Regarding dogs.... I got bit a few years back. I was riding with my wife and told her to "sprint" while I kept a pack of dogs back. She had a bit of a meltdown and her "sprint" effort was a deceleration to about 10 mph. My water bottles ran empty and one of the dogs tagged me in the right calf, at which point I got off of the bike and started chasing the dogs.

The particular section is near my in-laws house and there is a pack of a dozen loose dogs. The county sheriff's office told me I "had the right to protect myself" but that there was nothing they could do. Now I carry something a bit stronger than pepper spray when I ride that section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty
    You bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyMilkExpired View Post
    You bastard

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I have been harassed by a pack of 7 or 8 dogs while on my tandem riding with the wife. We jumped off and yelled and threw rocks and the dogs backed down.

That said, I like the pepper spray idea, because the owner will get it on their hands and get the message. The owners are the problem not the dogs.