mtbr member
    Sep 2009

New question here. How is the scene in Lubbock?

I've used the search feature but find very little.
    • How much trail nearby?
    • Is it possible to ride year round?
    • How is the local economy and work situation? I work in healthcare IT.
    • What is the character of the town? Is it blue collar, agricultural, etc. at a glance looks like it might be a college town.
    • Air quality? This is important because I'm having trouble breathing here in the humid Southeast so the idea is to find somewhere nice and dry with low pollen and low pollution.
    • I live far away but I am somewhat familiar with Texas having briefly lived there 20 years ago. You either like Texas or you don't and I enjoyed the culture so not troubled by that as many easterners would be.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by parser View Post
    I've used the search feature but find very little.
    • How much trail nearby?
    • Is it possible to ride year round?
    • How is the local economy and work situation? I work in healthcare IT.
    • What is the character of the town? Is it blue collar, agricultural, etc. at a glance looks like it might be a college town.
    • Air quality? This is important because I'm having trouble breathing here in the humid Southeast so the idea is to find somewhere nice and dry with low pollen and low pollution.
    • I live far away but I am somewhat familiar with Texas having briefly lived there 20 years ago. You either like Texas or you don't and I enjoyed the culture so not troubled by that as many easterners would be.

Thanks.
    I used to live in Lubbock and grew up an hour north of there.

Trail: as far as I know, not many trails - I believe the main (possibly only) trailis at a local lake (buffalo lake??) That said, you can travel up to Amarillo and mountain bike in the second largest canyon in the country - Palo Duro Canyon. Great trails and very fun; I drove in and rode them this spring and it was worth the 5 hour drive.

Riding Season: Doubt you can ride all year - the panhandle gets cold in the winter and you will see some snow.

Local economy is good and there are plenty of healthcare jobs in the region - I would expect you to find. Job in your field easily. Plus, cost of living is low.

Character: it is first and foremost a college town with the second main industry being farming.

Air quality is good (at least compared to Dallas where I live) but I couldn't tell you about pollen count - I would get the weather channel app if I were you and monitor that zip code.

Hope that helps some. I liked living in Lubbock BTW and miss the panhandle.

mtbr member
    I live in Austin now, but lived in Lubbock for 7 years during and after college. DudeNudem covered it pretty well. Overall, it's a great little town. Zero traffic, low cost of living and good economy.

However, the MTBing is fairly limited. There are a few more trails over on the southeast side of town (I'm drawing a blank on the park's name). In addition to Palo Duro, New Mexico is a pretty short trip for some riding options. You can ride year round. It's windy all the time, so a windy, cold winter day is brutal, but doable. When it snows a few times a year, it only sticks for a day or two. Not really an issue.

As far as allergens, when the cotton blooms and when a dust storm rolls in are all you have to worry about. It's too flat, windy and small for any pollution to hover over the town.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the replies. As you could probably guess I'm also considering other regions but there can be a lot of competition for IT jobs so I like to keep track of options. Palo Duro looks extremely cool and I've heard only good things about it. Looks like that is the main option for riding in the area. Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    There are trails at Sunrise Canyon. I am from Ga. and was very surprised that we had what I consider more than decent trails here in Lubbock. Also Palo is only about 1.5 hour drive from Lubbock and has a great trail system.

mtbr member
    I live 1.5 hrs from Lubbock, and 1 hr from PDC. Palo Duro is by far the best quality riding in the Panhandle area. Lubbock has Mae Simmons Park (aka MLK) for some pretty good XC competitive style trails. Amarillo has a XC competitive style trail system as well called Pitcher Pump (aka Girl Scout Camp). Lots of road riding and what not around as well.

The city is a College Town first and foremost. Second, it is a balance between agriculture and oil rigs. Lubbock is a pretty cool city though. I moved from Phoenix, and I'm in agriculture. But I spend my days off frequenting one of these trails all the time. There are always good mtb events going on (check out West Texas 12 Pack). And you can always get away to the Hill Country or New Mexico for a change of scenery.

Also, I ride year round, but you have to be able to withstand the cold and wind from time to time during the winter.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night