Curb Jumper

In Houston for the week. Looking for a ride. ;)

Hey everyone! I'm in Houston for the week trying to get my girlfriend settled in and then I'll be moving out here in mid- to late-November. I have a lot of time on my hands this week as she's started her new job and is busy getting up to speed there. I was hoping/seeing if anyone in the area had an extra bike they'd like to lend and go for a little ride during the week. I was wanting to check out Memorial Park as it's the closest trailhead to where we're looking of moving and I heard they were pretty laid-back. I'm not looking for a leg-killing drop-hucking ride, I'd just like to check out what Houston has to offer while I have some time on my hands. Beers on me, post ride

Thanks for reading my novel. If anyone would be interested just reply to this thread, I'll be checking it frequently.

- Will

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Your best bet is to rent a bike. West End Cycles has rentals and not too far from memorial trails. Word to the wise.....there are some nasty sections out there and easy to go over the bars if your not paying attention not to mention people and their dogs etc. One yellow section in particular has a bridge at the bottom and is nearly impossible to negotiate even when you know its there......and of course its not easy to spot since its right after a hard left and next thing you know you have a flashlight in your face. Just saying!

West End
    5417 Blossom 77007
    713-861-2271

Curb Jumper
    Thanks for the tips, George. I do a lot of AM riding and dabble in the freeride/DH sector, so I can handle the tricky stuff. I was just trying to be open to anything or anyone. Thanks again, I'll give them a shout and see what they say.

I'm still open to having a local show me around the trails, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Rent a Mojo from Blaine at West End and hit me up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by [dB]Will View Post
    Hey everyone! I'm in Houston for the week trying to get my girlfriend settled in and then I'll be moving out here in mid- to late-November. I have a lot of time on my hands this week as she's started her new job and is busy getting up to speed there. I was hoping/seeing if anyone in the area had an extra bike they'd like to lend and go for a little ride during the week. I was wanting to check out Memorial Park as it's the closest trailhead to where we're looking of moving and I heard they were pretty laid-back. I'm not looking for a leg-killing drop-hucking ride, I'd just like to check out what Houston has to offer while I have some time on my hands. Beers on me, post ride

Thanks for reading my novel. If anyone would be interested just reply to this thread, I'll be checking it frequently.

- Will
    You can also check meetup.com. There a couple of Houston MTB groups that organize things there.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

Curb Jumper
    Completely forgot about this thread!

Well, I've been living in Houston for about a month now and have ridden Anthills (Memorial?) and Jack Brooks Park so far. Both trails are great but I feel Anthills is more flowy and fun while JB is more technical and labor intensive. If anyone else has any other places for me to check out, I'd really appreciate it!

Big Damn Hero
    Go west young man (or north)... Houston trails are boring.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Rocky Hill Ranch is cool and has a little of everything. About an 1.5 hour drive. Rocky Hill Ranch - The Mountain Biking Outdoor Events Capital of Texas | Rocky Hill Ranch

This website lists all trails around Houston with maps. Greater Houston Off-Road Biking Association. Double Lake and Stephen F Austin are similar with Stephen F being about 35 mins from the west Houston/katy area. Not much technical but a fast pace makes things interesting. Hardly any traffic too which is nice.

Big Damn Hero
    On a side note, the Anthills are not Memorial. Memorial is in Memorial park (duh) while the Anthills are in Terry Hershey Park.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

Curb Jumper
    Yeah I figured that one out after finding the GHORBA site a while back. I'm usually out riding Memorial (as I can rude there from home) if anyone ever wants to meet up for a ride.