Houston Night Riding-----

Printable View

• 11-06-2012
    xcracer450
    Houston Night Riding-----
    Hey Guys,

I have a question for Houstonians,

New to the area and come to you seeking some advice. With daylight retracting earlier than we all would like, the possibility of the sun going down during the middle of a ride (assuming you get off around 5) becomes real. With that being said, which trail system do most people prefer to ride during the night, Memorial or Anthills? Being new to the area, I like seeing others on the trail and not feeling "alone" while I am in the woods in pitch black. Therefore, which is more heavily populated with night riders? Also, is one trail system preferred when it comes to ease of ride (smooth, flowing trails without roots and rocks)?

Thanks guys.....
  • 11-07-2012
    cycleologist
    Memorial has an outer loop that is pretty tame. That partricular trail is marked with purple posts and is mostly flat and can be used as an vehicle access road.

Despite both trails being in the city you can be out there while the parkinglot is full and still not see anyone. there are groups that ride on T and Th at both trails. Check the Ghorba website ( GHORBA.org). The Kiosk at memorial sometimes has info on group trail rides.
  • 11-07-2012
    SenorSerioso
    My favorite night ride destination is Cypresswood. It's surprisingly flowy in the dark and I've found myself going faster than I do in the daylight because it's so magnetic. I love it.
  • 11-08-2012
    xcracer450
    Thanks for the help guys. Any tips on what kind of light would be suitable for the trails?

Thanks
  • 11-08-2012
    cycleologist
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xcracer450 View Post
    Any tips on what kind of light would be suitable for the trails?

For trail riding I think a dual lamp solution is necessary. One headlight can get you by on the road but the trails almost require you to have one on your helmet to look were you are going and one on the bars for periphery and straight ahead lighting. Also the 2nd light is good to have just in case one goes out. You can limp out with just one. I recommend no less than 250 lumen per light on the trails, the brighter the better. Buy the brightest you can afford. Check out the lights and night riding forum for brand/model suggestions. There are lots of good light sets out there.
  • 11-08-2012
    johnybutts
    Are there meetups for night riding at memorial park? I've never been out there at night before, after I get my lights, would anyone want to do some sort of group night ride to get the hang of it?
  • 11-08-2012
    SenorSerioso
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleologist View Post
    For trail riding I think a dual lamp solution is necessary. One headlight can get you by on the road but the trails almost require you to have one on your helmet to look were you are going and one on the bars for periphery and straight ahead lighting. Also the 2nd light is good to have just in case one goes out. You can limp out with just one. I recommend no less than 250 lumen per light on the trails, the brighter the better. Buy the brightest you can afford. Check out the lights and night riding forum for brand/model suggestions. There are lots of good light sets out there.

Boy have I been living in the dark ages, literally. I have a NiteRider 150 that I always run on medium (100 lumens). I strap it to my helmet and that's all I have.
  • 11-08-2012
    cycleologist
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SenorSerioso View Post
    Boy have I been living in the dark ages, literally. I have a NiteRider 150 that I always run on medium (100 lumens). I strap it to my helmet and that's all I have.

I'm not saying it can't be done with less but it sure does help with more light. I'm spoiled run two 900 lumen units. If you only had one light, helmet mount is the way to go.
  • 11-08-2012
    cycleologist
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnybutts View Post
    Are there meetups for night riding at memorial park? I've never been out there at night before, after I get my lights, would anyone want to do some sort of group night ride to get the hang of it?

I'd check ghorba or look at the kiosk at MP. There is a group on tuesday nights that ride out there. its a pretty quick group and not a "no drop ride" so you just have to keep up. But that's good though, it will make you faster. look at meetup and search for the mountain bike groups in houston.
  • 11-08-2012
    xcracer450
    I try to get out to Memorial Park on MWF around 6:00...of course, I haven't been there lately because I need to buy a light..
  • 11-09-2012
    xcracer450
    Well, just bought a light. I went to West End and picked up a Serfas 500+....so far I am pleased with it. I'll be at the Ant Hills tonight around 6...
  • 11-09-2012
    johnybutts
    Can't make it tonight - but maybe next week!
  • 11-15-2012
    orlowskij
    I'm up for some night riding, I just picked up a new Magicshine that I need to test in the woods. I'm only about 2 miles from MP so I' m free to ride most evenings that I'm in town.
  • 11-15-2012
    phidailo
    I'm up for some night riding! I'm about 2 miles from MP as well.

I've had my lights for several years. I went the wireless route and got Exposure Lights.
  • 11-23-2012
    mattkock
    I'm not sure when they Night Ride at Memorial but there is a regular group at Cypresswood that meets up at 6:30pm on Mondays and Wednesdays. It's pretty Fun!:D
  • 11-24-2012
    johnybutts
    How is the magic shine? I'm still debating which lights to get
  • 11-24-2012
    SenorSerioso
    I've heard and experienced bad things about the magic shine. They just die on you. I was in the middle of the trail and it just quit, no damage to it or anything. Worst thing about it was that I was borrowing it. He never believed my story even after I repaid him for it.

Lots of similar stories floating around the Internet too.
  • 11-26-2012
    orlowskij
    Mine's worked well for me so far. I got the 808 and like it a lot for a handlebar mount (flood beam) paired with a CygoLite 350 on the helmet. I can't attest to the durability yet, but you can double up on Magicshines for the price of most other lights with comparable output.
  • 11-26-2012
    johnybutts
    I ordered 2x NiteRider Lumina 650. Hoping this will do the trick.

Bike was ordered last week. Just waiting on Cannondale to deliver. Any day now.
  • 12-03-2012
    johnybutts
    Alright, I'm all set up. When are people going out there?
  • 12-04-2012
    johnybutts
    I will try to find whatever night ride is happening at Memorial Park this evening. If anyone wants to meet up, speak up!
  • 12-04-2012
    johnybutts
    Looks like rain is coming in. I'll likely be skipping this then...
  • 12-11-2012
    johnybutts
    Anyone alive?
  • 12-22-2012
    CYCLEJCE
    The wife let's me get out weekly for night rides. I've hit memorial, Justin Brinley, and River Bend (not quite in the dark here) over the last few weeks. Memorial is by far more challenging with lots more trail options/miles. Is like to ride Brooks at night some day!

I usually hit the trail @ 6, give me a shout next time!
  • 12-22-2012
    phidailo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    The wife let's me get out weekly for night rides. I've hit memorial, Justin Brinley, and River Bend (not quite in the dark here) over the last few weeks. Memorial is by far more challenging with lots more trail options/miles. Is like to ride Brooks at night some day!

I usually hit the trail @ 6, give me a shout next time!

Funny you say that because my wife doesn't like me going on night rides alone. So I told her that there may be a few people on the forum that want to go....she then says "how do you know they are not going to hurt you?" Lol