mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Honeymoon MTB Tour (New Braunfels to West TX)

So me and the wife were married Friday and left Gruene, TX Saturday morning for San Angelo. We rode 16 miles at San Angelo State Park. I had an absolute blast out there. It was rather simple and super flowy IMO. I don't remember that many technical spots. I endo on the Armodillo trail after we checked out Bells Point at the end of our ride. We started at the Burkett trail head. I had to change one flat because I had a mammoth sized thorn stuck in my rear tire.

16.03 mi mountain bike on 03/10/2014 in San Angelo, TX | MapMyRide

From there we went to Abilene state park and stayed the night in a Yurt so the next day we could go to Bike Town and buy a key for Buck Creek. Unfortunately we only got to do 7 miles there because we had prior engagements later on in the day and I think the 16mi. the day before and the wedding and preparations had finally caught up to me and I just wasn't feeling riding that day. However, it was a pretty awesome and unique trail.

7.35 mi mountain bike on 03/11/2014 in Abilene, TX | MapMyRide

After Abilene we camped at Caprock Canyon state park for 2 nights to check out some bison, canyons, and prairie dogs. This place was absolutely beautiful and we enjoyed a 7 mile bike ride in the morning and then a nice 4 mile hike in the evening to check out a natural formed bridge. I really enjoyed this park, however there wasn't much in the way of pure MTB single track it still had trails to offer and awesome scenery.

After Caprock we headed over to Palo Duro state park which was our final destination. We got lucky and were able to get a cow camp cabin at the park which was an awesome experience. We rode a little under 15 miles at Palo Duro. In the morning we did 4mi @ Capital Peak mtb trail where at the very end I suffered a flat and we walked to the Lighthouse trailhead. Then in the evening we did Passo Del Rio to Rojo Grande, and back on the Juniper river and Cliffside trails. Then we finished it off with a small out and back to a viewpoint on the Lighthouse trail. Then we drank a bottle of wine and watched the sunset on the canyons from our cabin.

4.55 mi mountain bike on 03/13/2014 in Canyon, TX | MapMyRide
    6.64 mi mountain bike on 03/13/2014 in Canyon, TX | MapMyRide

All in all it was awesome. I keep day dreaming about all the single track I flowed through all week and all the beautiful scenery I saw. Anyway, I guess it's time to go back to real life.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Alright, Aaron !

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Way to go. What an awesome honeymoon. Congratulations on the wedding.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    gratz man!

What a cool honeymoon! hope y'all are happy forever!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Honeymoon MTB Tour (New Braunfels to West TX)

Thanks guys. It was a lot of fun.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for sharing and the pics. Sounds like a great way to start the married life together. Congratulations to both of you... My wife is my main riding partner and we've been together 25 years. One tip I will share with you is you have to know when to ride together and when it's best to go solo...or at least ride ahead or behind a few hundred feet >;-) Cool to have a wife that enjoys the same things for sure.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Thanks for the report. Caprock Canyon seems like a great place to ride.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    Great trip! Sounds like fun and a fresh take to the normal "honeymoon".

I have a few questions about Caprock and Palo Duro. My gf and I are planning on going for 3-4 days and primarily hike. Would there be enough hikes between the two to keep us busy in your mind? And would the hikes be challenging enough or is it manly geared towards biking?

Would you recommend camping at Caprock or Palo Duro (or switching)? Right now we plan on setting up base camp at one and driving to the other.

Any other tips or hints about the two?

Thanks and again, great trip. Well done.

-Kyle

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Honeymoon MTB Tour (New Braunfels to West TX)

Yeah definitely. We only had one day at each. If you're splitting 4 days between the two you'll have enough to hike. On the maps they give you at both parks they have points of interest you can hike to. For example at caprock we hiked to the natural formed bridge and at Palo we rode to the lighthouse. Have fun!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2