mtbr member
    May 2007

Hill country overnight trip...What to ride??

Coming down Friday afternoon. Plan on riding Saturday...Me and the wife. We're not exactly in the greatest shape, so we are looking for the Goldilox trail. Not too easy, and not too hard! I'm not into climbing. I understand it is necessary. With that said I'm leaning heavy towards Reveille Peak. Been there once about a year ago but we missed the Super D course due to time constraints. No time to try and navigate through the Green Belt this time. Been to Rocky Hill Ranch, Colorado Bend S.P. Been wanting to check out Muleshoe, Pace Bend, Reimers, Tapatio, BLORA, Emma Long ( probably better tackle that one on a solo day trip though) to name a few. Any thoughts!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Flat Rock Ranch is awesome, camping, showers, awesome challenging trails, great owners. No dogs allowed. The town of Comfort is great too, food & booze in a nice setting.

Pace Bend is less technical then FRR but still super fun, great facilities and views. I camp here regularly. You can bring your dog!

Reimers is super nice, no camping as far as I know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Flat rock ranch is good. I agree. And so is Rocky Hill Ranch in Smithville! Reveille peak is also great. Go ride them all!
    2015 Epic Expert WC
    Sworks Phenom saddle, EC70 flat bars and seatpost, crankbrothers candy 3's

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cool, Had not thought about Flat Rock Ranch! I definitely enjoy scenic rides that make you feel like you're really out there...Will look at that area for sure! Checking it out on austinbike.com now.....

Also we will be looking to stay in a cheap hotel / motel, not going to camp. More into the creature comforts these days. ( AIR-CONDITIONING )

Places to eat and grab a cold one are a definite plus for Flat Rock being so close to Fredricksburg. I noticed there is an event being held at RPR on Sunday called Carry The Load, I'll call to see if that will affect the trails on Saturday...
    Last edited by keithrad; 05-21-2014 at 07:49 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This was a thread I started in May, and we ended up riding Reveille Peak then. It is now October and we'll be coming down Friday the 10th. Trying to decide which new to us trail to explore this time around. So for you folks that ride these frequently, which would you recommend for fun / remote feeling / scenic with some rocky,tech to keep me honest ( wife's not too fond of tech though) with some fun flowy downhill sections. Thinking of around 4 hour drive from Cleburne and looking at Flat Rock Ranch / Reimers / Pace Bend / Madrone / Hill Country State Natural Area...?? Leaning towards Flat Rock but they all look cool. We'll be staying in a cheap hotel so camping is not an issue. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    This was a thread I started in May, and we ended up riding Reveille Peak then. It is now October and we'll be coming down Friday the 10th. Trying to decide which new to us trail to explore this time around. So for you folks that ride these frequently, which would you recommend for fun / remote feeling / scenic with some rocky,tech to keep me honest ( wife's not too fond of tech though) with some fun flowy downhill sections. Thinking of around 4 hour drive from Cleburne and looking at Flat Rock Ranch / Reimers / Pace Bend / Madrone / Hill Country State Natural Area...?? Leaning towards Flat Rock but they all look cool. We'll be staying in a cheap hotel so camping is not an issue. Thanks
    Sounds like Flat Rock Ranch is up your ally. Do it and enjoy. A great scenic ride with plenty of miles to get your thrill in. Not as techy as RPR but still very fun.

Madrone is another great place but its only an 8 mile loop or about an hour ride. Madrone I would say it has plenty of technical areas with some great views of canyon lake. If you plan on being in that area hit it up as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Another selling point for Madrone is the fact that it's just down the road from Gruene Hall, which should take care of the "night life" factor, if you're into such things.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Been checking out lots of youtube videos from F.R.R. and others...Found some footage that XRaptor shot! If that's you..??^^
    I think we may go with Flat Rock Ranch. It has enough to keep it interesting, take a break, and ride some more. Maybe we can hit both...I would like to have longer to check out multiple trails. So many gems in Central Tx to choose from.

Night life.....that involves food and sitting on the deck with a cold one these days. Followed by promptly hitting the sack! That's best left to the younger crowd nowadays. I think we burned ourselves out on that 20 + years ago when I was playing the club circuit in a band. I know my wife was done with that after about the first couple of years...haha! Seriously, some good German food does sound in order though. Fredricksburg should be able to deliver! thanks for the tips guys

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, we got down to Fredricksburg Friday evening, had German food at Auslanders. Knocked back a few New Belgium Tour de Fall brews. Got back to the room to sleep at a decent hour. Then came the rain....and more rain.... I didn't even say the ( R ) word! Oh well!! We dove out to Flat Rock Ranch anyway as we had nothing else to do. Turns out the fellow that drove in behind us was Jimmy Dreiss the land owner. We talked a bit about the ranch and our Toyota Tacomas'. Nice guy. He said the trails would be too wet, but maybe if the sun came out later in the afternoon could re-check. We had to be home at a certain time in the evening to pick up our daughter from a band trip so we came back home! Will try again but it may be January for Flat Rock.

mtbr member
    Man bummer sorry bout that. Yeah Jimmy is super cool guy. Glad you got to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    Well, we got down to Fredricksburg Friday evening, had German food at Auslanders. Knocked back a few New Belgium Tour de Fall brews. Got back to the room to sleep at a decent hour. Then came the rain....and more rain.... I didn't even say the ( R ) word! Oh well!! We dove out to Flat Rock Ranch anyway as we had nothing else to do. Turns out the fellow that drove in behind us was Jimmy Dreiss the land owner. We talked a bit about the ranch and our Toyota Tacomas'. Nice guy. He said the trails would be too wet, but maybe if the sun came out later in the afternoon could re-check. We had to be home at a certain time in the evening to pick up our daughter from a band trip so we came back home! Will try again but it may be January for Flat Rock.