mtbr member

Help me out with a few good spots!

Just moved here and have NO idea where to go riding. Any recommendations or advise? I ride both road and MTB but I am no good at either. I just really enjoy being outside and am dying to get out again ASAP.

I live south of Austin near Circle C (just below in fact in the Meridian sub-division). Thanks for any info you folks can offer!

-Shane
    "Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    We should all kick each others asses to protect the environment.."

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBShane View Post
    Just moved here and have NO idea where to go riding. Any recommendations or advise? I ride both road and MTB but I am no good at either. I just really enjoy being outside and am dying to get out again ASAP.

I live south of Austin near Circle C (just below in fact in the Meridian sub-division). Thanks for any info you folks can offer!

-Shane
    Since you're saying you're not that good, start out at Slaughter Creek for Mountain the the Veloway for road. Both are closed loops and both are easy but fun.

Strava Segment | Slaughter Creek Trail

Strava Segment | Veloway Loop

Once you've brushed up on your mountain, you can venture into Barton Creek. Be forewarned that it can be pretty gnarly, especially if you're not familiar with riding limestone.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baconismidog View Post
    Since you're saying you're not that good, start out at Slaughter Creek for Mountain the the Veloway for road. Both are closed loops and both are easy but fun.

Strava Segment | Slaughter Creek Trail

Strava Segment | Veloway Loop

Once you've brushed up on your mountain, you can venture into Barton Creek. Be forewarned that it can be pretty gnarly, especially if you're not familiar with riding limestone.
    Slaughter Creek is a great trail for beginners and is literally two minutes away from where you live. It may be a little hard to find though, but I am planning on heading out there on Saturday if you want to tag along.

Just be careful to not get caught at Slaughter Creek after dark because you'll get locked in.

mtbr member
    Great info - thanks guys! I should probably have said that I am fat and slow rather than a beginner! I have been riding places like DownieVille and Demo Forest in CA which are pretty technical but I havent been on the bike in about a year now so I need to brush up the skills a little and start getting back into shape!

40Acres - what time do you head out there on Sat?

mtbr member
    I'll probably be there around 11am. Does that time work for you? I'll be free all weekend.

mtbr member
    Pm me your number there's a group of us that ride during the weekend. We don't care how fast ya are.

I ride slaughter just to get the cardio. Back section is fun tho. Gate closes at 9. I live about 20 mins from slaughter so I can meet up sometimes. My job isn't a 9-5 lol.

Btw Sunday either walnut creek, or the green belt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by EmbraceTheHate; 10-31-2012 at 09:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHate View Post
    Pm me your number there's a group of us that ride during the weekend. We don't care how fast ya are.

I ride slaughter just to get the cardio. Back section is fun tho. Gate closes at 9. I live about 20 mins from slaughter so I can meet up sometimes. My job isn't a 9-5 lol.

Nice! I've been up to ride Barton Creek recently.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Acres View Post
    Nice! I've been up to ride Barton Creek recently.
    Went today put a hole in my ankle and split my knee! I was having a off day.

mtbr member
    Ouch! I think longer socks would help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Acres View Post
    Ouch! I think longer socks would help.
    To soak the blood up! Lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Go can go to the Ray Roberts Lake State Park..its cool place for riding. I often go there in the weekends. Since its in the outskirts, make sure you carry your own food there. We usually carry ready to eat food, its convenient. You can check out Classic Foods.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crishmartin View Post
    Go can go to the Ray Roberts Lake State Park..its cool place for riding. I often go there in the weekends. Since its in the outskirts, make sure you carry your own food there. We usually carry ready to eat food, its convenient. You can check out Classic Foods.
    He's in south Austin, doubt he's interested in hitting Denton for a ride.

MTBShane, you need to find some peeps down that way and learn the BCGB/Travis Country stuff. There is other stuff that is very tech down your way, but I'll leave it to your south pals or a bit of snooping on your part.

mtbr member
    I suggest reimer's ranch. they have beginners, intermediate, and advanced trails there. You can spend all day out there and still have fun. $10 entrance fee though.

mtbr member
    Hey Shane me and a few guys are going to Barton creek greenbelt Sunday if ya wanna join. Its sorta tame, with a few technical spots. I walk some of them. Pm me if your interested.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the invites guys. I'll take you up on them at some point. Still lots of "moving in" going on so I will probably just hit up Slaughter Creek with 40Acres tomorrow. See if my fat ass still has what it takes to pedal around.

40 - I'll PM you my number, just let me know where to meet you. I have to get my bike together as it was in pieces after the move so I am going to work on that right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHate View Post

I'll get my info over to you, let me know what you guys have planned but like I said - probably just a shorty ride tomorrow, maybe also check out the Veloway although I cant imagine thats much fun on a MTB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBShane View Post
    I'll get my info over to you, let me know what you guys have planned but like I said - probably just a shorty ride tomorrow, maybe also check out the Veloway although I cant imagine thats much fun on a MTB.
    We only go out for a few hrs anyways. Just let me know. The more the merrier!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    If you are looking for what's around, check out the MountainBikeTx.com Googlemap. You can hit up the link below for more information than what the Googlemap will provide.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Thanks folks. I gave Slaughter Creek a run and then Pedernales Park. I will keep exploring! Appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    MTBShane, I think I've seen you on the Norcal forum where I mostly lurked for several years. Our situations sounds similar. I've just moved (back) to Austin after several years in the South Bay (very near Santa Teresa). I've also been off of my bike for several months and am also feeling fat and slow, and I'm much more tentative on technical stuff than I used to be. I do, however, live in far north Austin. Maybe we could meet in the middle sometime.

Ray

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bareiss View Post
    MTBShane, I think I've seen you on the Norcal forum where I mostly lurked for several years. Our situations sounds similar. I've just moved (back) to Austin after several years in the South Bay (very near Santa Teresa). I've also been off of my bike for several months and am also feeling fat and slow, and I'm much more tentative on technical stuff than I used to be. I do, however, live in far north Austin. Maybe we could meet in the middle sometime.

Ray
    Hey Ray! Yeah, Norcal was my stomping grounds. I am happy to meet and ride some new places to check them out. I have been to Slaughter Creek and Pedernales Park so far. Would love to ride some longer rides with more elevation if possible but not sure that really exists out here. I dont actually ENJOY the long climbs, but they do make you strong right! Just PM me your info and we can figure it out.

-Shane