mtbr member

Gravel, fsr, smooth dirt, etc in central TX

I have a sscx bike that is mostly used on the road and i would like to put some knobbies on it and grind some gravel. Where can i set out on a long stretch of dirt that is smooth enough for a non-mtb but not too brutal for this bike? I might even take it on relatively smooth singletrack.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 06-19-2013 at 06:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Check out the Spinistry for your central Texas GG fix. The Midnight Mini Massacre is comin up on 7-20, me and a few guys from work are planing on heading up if you wanna join.

There isn't a huge amount of stuff within riding distance of Austin, although you can put together some nice loops if your willing spin on the asphalt to get there. Bastrop has some nice stuff and it's only a short drive. There is also so good stuff out west in the hill country but I have only been out there on the motorcycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The hike and bike trail and barton creek greenbelt main trail are pretty tame and would be good for a CX bike. 14 mile out and back. Lots of joggers, dogs etc on weekends. Go early.

Most of walnut creek is ok (many people ride ss rigids) 10-11 mile loop. 9:30 am beginner ride led by austin ridge riders can help you figure out the loop (easy to get lost)

Shoal creek trail (not sure how long but runs from hike and bike @ around lamar to 38th street)

There is a trail starting at balcones district park that runs to walnut creek. doubtful you will see many people except at balcones district park.

Brushy creek regional trail - wide gravel - not sure how long it is.

in the future there will be the north and south walnut creek regional trail and the violet crown trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Slaughter creek as well. My site has pics of the different trails that should help you see how technical things are.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com