Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gravel Curious?

Church of the Bike

Gravel Curious?

Texas Chainring Massacre on 1/11 has a one lap (50 mile) fun ride option as well as the two lap Open race. The fun ride is $10 less and it really is a great 50 mile route. CX bikes and mtb's would be best on the course, a road bike with 28's may work depending on county road maintenance. I wouldn't suggest a road bike for first timers though. We'd also like to announce that Mad Duck Cyclery is once again sponsoring the event. https://www.bikereg.com/net/texas-chainring-massacre

mtbr member
    in. that's the day after my 32nd birthday!

mtbr member
    where might I find information about how to set up a bike for this course? I think my bike will do but I might get some slightly larger tires. I am currently using 32mm slicks.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    What happens if I refuse to support USA cycling by buying a license?

Ride Everything
    Looks like fun. If you'd like, I can post some info on my blog.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Church of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    where might I find information about how to set up a bike for this course? I think my bike will do but I might get some slightly larger tires. I am currently using 32mm slicks.
    Try our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/spinistry or DFW Gravel Grinders https://www.facebook.com/groups/480257141994795/

Church of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    What happens if I refuse to support USA cycling by buying a license?
    This one is a permitted USA Cycling race so it requires either a one day license or an annual license. The fun ride is $10 "less" so you can sign up for it and get the one day license for the same price as a race entry. Your results wouldn't be posted to USA Cycling standings though.

Church of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    Looks like fun. If you'd like, I can post some info on my blog.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    Please do!

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinistry View Post
    Please do!
    Done. See:
    Texas Chainring Massacre | GRAVELBIKE.com
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinistry View Post
    This one is a permitted USA Cycling race so it requires either a one day license or an annual license. The fun ride is $10 "less" so you can sign up for it and get the one day license for the same price as a race entry. Your results wouldn't be posted to USA Cycling standings though.
    It's not the cost I take issue with but the fact that I have to pay some governing body so I can do something fun on my bike.

mtbr member
    I already registered but what would stop you from just showing up and riding anyways?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Gravel Curious?

Maybe just think of it as supporting Spinistry and not USAC?

Sent from my hammock
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

mtbr member
    since I don't know the terrain, what kind of tires might be best for this course? I have a CX type bike. would anything bigger than 38mm be overkill?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    since I don't know the terrain, what kind of tires might be best for this course? I have a CX type bike. would anything bigger than 38mm be overkill?
    IMO anything bigger then 28 should be adequate. I have done a couple on 29x2.25 and was fine. Narrower=faster, wider=comfort.

mtbr member
    I am looking at a few 32-35mm tires. just not sure if I want something with knobs for grip or if the volume will be enough that I can ride slicks. I have no intention of "winning," but I would like to try to go fast and have a good time, and not wipe out on a fast turn.

Ritchey Speedmax, Clement MSO or LAS, Conti CX speed versus some Panaracer Pasela PT's.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I am looking at a few 32-35mm tires. just not sure if I want something with knobs for grip or if the volume will be enough that I can ride slicks. I have no intention of "winning," but I would like to try to go fast and have a good time, and not wipe out on a fast turn.

Ritchey Speedmax, Clement MSO or LAS, Conti CX speed versus some Panaracer Pasela PT's.
    I'd definitely want more traction then the Panaracer. Some of the corners can be pretty loose and off camber, and it's nice to have some bite for the hills.

Church of the Bike

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    It's not the cost I take issue with but the fact that I have to pay some governing body so I can do something fun on my bike.
    It's most likely permitted through USAC so that they can get insurance for the event. There are other ways to do this, but USAC is one of the easier ones for smaller promoters from what I've heard.

Church of the Bike
    Technical document:

Texas Chainring Massacre Bible

These notes should give an all inclusive overview of the format and rules for the 2014 Texas Chainring Massacre races. Organizers reserve the right to modify and change at any time for rider safety and/or as events dictate.

Texas Chainring Massacre
    Presented by
    Mad Duck Cyclery and The Spinistry

705 S. Lee St
    Valley View, TX
    Saturday, January 11, 2014

Online Registration Closes
    Friday, January 10, 2014 at 10:00 PM, Eastern Standard Time

USA Cycling Event USA Cycling Permit # 2014-154

This race operates under USA Cycling rules for mountain bike ultra endurance/endurance racing. All USAC rules apply. Current USA Cycling license is required to participate in the race. One day license is available for $10 additional cost over race entry fees. Annual licesnes will be available on site as well.

A 50 mile fun ride option is available which does not require a license.

Link for online registration: https://www.bikereg.com/net/texas-chainring-massacre

Day of registration will be available for $50 cash only for racers, $40 cash only for fun riders.

Race and ride begin promptly at 9:00 am, racers'/riders' meetings will be held at 8:45. Registration will open at 7:30 am and all riders are required to check in and sign waivers. Prereg riders should plan to be at registration no later than 8:15, day of registration please be there no later than 8:00.

There is no outside support allowed on the course. Racers/riders must be prepared to complete 50 miles totally unsupported. There will NOT be any SAG vehicles on course. The course will be swept at the end of the day but that could be several hours away should you not be able to continue. Please make arrangements for somebody to pick you up should you become stranded. 911 is available for true emergencies.

The course is a 50 mile loop consisting primarily of dirt roads. Open 100 mile racers will do 2 laps, all others 1 lap. The Start/Finish/Staging area in Valley View is the only "aid station". It is a completely neutral area and the only location where outside assistance is allowed. No support vehicles or drop bags are allowed on course. Racers must carry enough supplies to cover 50 miles without support. There are no convenience stores or any amenities on the course. Racers and riders may support other racers and riders without penalty.

The course is made up entirely of public roads. All rules of the road apply. Racers may be disqualified if reckless behavior is observed. The course will be marked at every turn, but not necessarily every intersection. Continue in current direction if no arrows are visible. We strongly suggest that each racer have a course map/cue sheet on hand hand just in case. GPS data and cue sheets can be downloaded from the following site: Rain Ride - Valley View, TX

Organizers WILL NOT be providing maps/cue sheets on site.

Scoring will be compiled utilizing electronic chip timing with manual back up based on number plates. It is each racer's responsibility to properly care for and attach timing devices as required by the organizers. Organizers are not required to record results of racers with lost, damaged or improperly mounted timing and scoring equipment. 100 mile racers will "tagged" with a visual differentiator visible to other riders from behind.

100% payout is 100% payout of all race entry fees at the category level. All entry fees will be returned to the racers with zero holdback to organizers. All USAC permit/insurance fees will be paid from the fun ride entries.

Open race pays 15 deep based on a formula of 120 shares of total entries. 15th place = 1 share, 1st place = 15 shares.
    Women's race pays up to 10 deep based on a similar formula dependent on total number of entries. Additional prizes and primes may be added by sponsors at any time with or without notice.

Final results will be submitted to USA Cycling.

Please email spinistry@gmail.com if you have any questions or concerns.

mtbr member
    Looks like rain of Friday, dry Saturday. Fender choice may be critical.

Church of the Bike
    Looks like rain of Friday, dry Saturday. Fender choice may be critical.
    Typically, this route holds up very well to rain (notice the map is named Rain Ride). Last year we had over 3" of rain that stopped about 5 hours before race start and 95% of it was good to go by the time racers hit it. No worries about conditions unless it's actually raining during the race.

Church of the Bike

Church of the Bike
    Last edited by Spinistry; 01-13-2014 at 06:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Did I spot an event photographer near the beginning? Is Spinistry going to post some of their photos?

Church of the Bike
    Did I spot an event photographer near the beginning? Is Spinistry going to post some of their photos?
    Uploaded this morning: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=8ce1948828

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast