True adventurer

A good ride near Beaumont?

Hey Guys, Is there any good rides near Beaumont,Tx, With in 1 hour drive. I might do 2 hours if the ride is good, Lots of fun stuff. and also looking for a female riding partner. Nothing against others, would like someone to BS with on just regular life stuff. You can also reach me at radmsonnydoster@yahoo.com. Thanks, Sonny Doster

mtbr member
    Village Creek State Park is the only confirmed place here in Texas. If you find any others, though, let me know.
    Pedigre

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    I hate to beat up on any mountain bike trail as any trail is better than no trail but Village Creek is not worth the drive no matter how close you are to it. There are three trails at the park but none are suitable for bike riding.

The Village Creek trail leads to the swimming area and is 90% thick sand. It's a mile long one way and is an out-and-back trail. You'll be pushing you bike thru the sand a majority of the time.

The Water Oak trail is a jeep road with deep ruts. It's mostly flat with no technical areas unless you call sand technical. The sand isn't nearly as thick as on the Village Creek trail but it's noticable. There's lots of debris laying on the trail waiting to eat up your drivetrain! The only redeaming feature is the beaver swamp which is nice to look at.

The last trail is the Caney Slough trail. This is the closest to an actual bike trail in the park. It's short at about .8 miles and has little sand and quite a few up-n-downs. The entire trail is triple-wide track and has a massive amount of trail debris. I spend most of my time removing small tree limbs from my drivetrain. There are also tons of vines with extremely sharp needles on them. I finished the trail with bloody scratch marks all over my arms and legs.

It's a nice park for hiking or swimming but for it to be even a halfway decent bike park would require alot of hard work. If these were the only bike trails in Texas I'd drive out of the state just to avoid this park. Not worth the effort.

The closest real bike trail to Beaumont is Double Lake.Recreation Area. The bike trail there is nearly 9 miles long with another 12 miles to be added this next year. It's maintained by GHORBA (www.ghorba.org) and is the site of the annual Big Ring Challenge put on by TMBRA. The trails is always well maintained by it's trail stewards whom I give major props to. There's also a great place to swim in the lake as well as a very nice hiking trail. Double Lake is well worth the drive!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude
    ...Village Creek is not worth the drive no matter how close you are to it...
    Hmm..I was afraid of that. Unfortunately a few state parks list "off-road biking" as an activity, though the trails aren't what mtbrs would care to ride. Perhaps we should consider not even listing it? Thanks for the info.

Actually, I'll keep it listed, but I'm going to steal your comments.
    Pedigre

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    No problem using the comments. I'd keep it on your site as it is a nice park to visit for swimming and light hiking or for bikers who really can't travel far from the area. A cleanup job on the Caney Slough Trail plus trimming the killer vines would make for a nice, if short, trail. The other two trails aren't worth the effort. Perhaps someone in the area will step up and offer to be a trail steward and get the ball rolling.

mtbr member
    There used to be a trail just over the border north of Lake Charles @ Sam Houston Jones SP. Have no idea of the condition but they used to run a small race there years ago.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Have you tried clayborne park? My friends say its nothing great, but its only 15minutes from where you at.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Try Sam Houston Jones Park in Lake Charles. 50 minutes from Beaumont. It has a few switchbacks and lots of stumps. Good food places afterward. We live near Bmt. so we know the pickings are not too good.
    After 40, crashing doesn't hurt as much as getting up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Sorry to bump an old thread. Just moved to the Beaumont area any updates on places to ride?