mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Gonna be in Temple / Killeen area in March. What trails?

Hey, guys and gals! Coming to visit family next month and hoping to hit the trails some. I've ride BLORA in the past but don't remember it being anything special. Any other recommendations? Bringing the singlespeed hardtail 26er, so no dh action or anything crazy like that on this trip. Thanks for the replies!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    If you dont think BLORA is special then you might not like amy trail in the area. We have Dana Peak but it is almost the exact opposite of BLORA. Buff and flowy and very fast and can get miles n miles. Located on Stillhouse Hollow Lake off 2410 outside Harker Heights.

You may be better served driving the 25 or 30 miles further north of Temple and hitting Cameron PArk trails in Waco.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    SlowRdr, thanks for the reply! Dana's peak sounds pretty good from your description. Have any more details about it?

Also, I should have mentioned this in the OP, but last time I rode BLORA was 11 years ago when I first started mountain biking. I stayed off of the trails that seemed mire advanced and I remember going in circles a lot! Have I missed something out there?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    The intermediare blue loop at BLORA used to be about 8.5 miles I think...now it's around 7 or so. Several reroutes over the last years have really messed things up. The 1st 2 reroutes were nice. The 2 lattest just a land grab.

Dana Peak is not really marked at all. I usually like showing riders new to it around but I am one week off a frshly busted wrist so dont know if I will be available or not. Likely it would have to be late in March. But others monitor this board that is familiar with Dana Peak so maybe you can have someone guide you around. There are lots of options. Tri-City bikes out of Belton usually has a ride on Sundays that rides singletrack from dana peak park out to still house hollow park and abck and the pace is generally fast.

Quote Originally Posted by akaHector View Post
    SlowRdr, thanks for the reply! Dana's peak sounds pretty good from your description. Have any more details about it?

Also, I should have mentioned this in the OP, but last time I rode BLORA was 11 years ago when I first started mountain biking. I stayed off of the trails that seemed mire advanced and I remember going in circles a lot! Have I missed something out there?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Funny thing is that the OP thinks he's really gonna get a chance to ride at all. Going to visit family? Good luck with that one. Maybe if you sport the Honey Badgers in nothin but the Johnny Longs, wifey will letcha off the hook.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I will definitely look into the Dana peak rude on Sundays. Thanks for the heads up on that one. Any idea how long they go for?

Oh, and let me tell ya, I already have the clearance from the boss to go! She's one fabulous lady!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    most of the morning. contact Chad at Tri-City Bikes for the start time. I think it varies week to week. have fun..dana peak is super fun and you should take some time to explore all the trail they don't hit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    SlowRdr, thanks again for the info. If I can squeeze the time in for Dana peak, I will definitely give it a go. If not, then I'll hit up BLORA, and enjoy riding among the mesquite trees again. We ride under the shade of lots of pine trees here in Birmingham!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    B'ham ALA ? I've ridden at Oak State way back in 2002. Nice trails !

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by akaHector View Post
    Hey, guys and gals! Coming to visit family next month and hoping to hit the trails some. I've ride BLORA in the past but don't remember it being anything special. Any other recommendations? Bringing the singlespeed hardtail 26er, so no dh action or anything crazy like that on this trip. Thanks for the replies!
    spend 30 min in the car and you can ride the best singletrack within 300 miles. cameron park. not raggin' blora or dana peak, but they've got nothin' on CP.

"The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Cameron park looks gorgeous! Thanks for the info.

meh... whatever
    no worries.

there's a group ride that starts from the redwood shelter (see map) parking lot and leaves at 2pm sharp.

if you go by yourself be sure you print off a copy of the trail map and take it with you. if you ever get lost just start heading downhill and you'll eventually get to the river. from there keep the river on your left and it will get you back to the redwood shelter.

it's best to ride with a group or local your first time or two out so feel free to hit me up when you're planning on coming through (with as much advance notice as possible) and if i'm free or can move some stuff around i'll give ya the $2 tour.
    "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

Confused
    Not to hi-jack but I will also be down visiting family from the 28th to the 9th of March. I'll be in the Georgetown / Killeen / Ft. Hood and Houston area's. Will be hitting BLORA because Ft. Hood was my first post and I'm kinda interested in seeing it 5 years later.
    Sorry for the hi-jack, just didn't want to start a whole new thread on the same subject.
    Colorado Springs, Co.
    www.theInflexibles.com