Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Georgetown trail

Looks like I may be living very close to Georgetown trail. What is trail like? Flowy? Hill? Technical? Boring?
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Georgetown trail

Hilly,rocky,technical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    sounds like fun. do you have to commit to full loop or are there bailout points?
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    In Round Rock last weekend in Nov '12 for a wedding, rode part of the loop. Lots of bail-outs, out-and-back options. So different from the usual fare in the Seattle metro/I-5 corridor. I really liked it. Enjoy (and Georgetown Square is full of foo-foo antique shops if your SO is so-inclined)!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Georgetown trail

Uh, not sure where he rode at that had a lot of bail outs, I've never seen any, you can do from park to park and back so lets say Russels to Jim Hogg park 11mile round trip that's a nice little stretch, I would start with that and then other sections, if you do anymore 12 miles one way you have already commited to a whole loop 25.6 is a complete loop, refresh water at camp tejas, russels ,jim Hogg and cedar breaks, and take plenty of if its hot out this trail will make you work for it. Good luck, if you want a guide hit me up, I like a good work out

mtbr member
    Lot's of local info here!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You can find all the details, along with pics on my site.

Just rode it this weekend, the full lap. About 26 miles around and lots of pain. Great trail, but when you get done with that lap you really need the ibuprofin.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member

Georgetown trail

Average loop time? Would love to ride with you just not sure I can hang with you
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Georgetown trail

I rode it this past Saturday and it took about 4 hours and 30 minutes. It is pretty gnarly overall although the jeep trails help balance out the rocky parts (even though the jeep trails can be boring). You can cut 3 to 4 miles off by crossing at the box crossing near tejas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Georgetown trail

Oh and forgot to mention that there is some over growth on the sides of the trail that kind of lay over the actual trail that makes it interesting at times with how rocky it is. Winter time is best because all that stuff is not there.

mtbr member
    i need to ride this trail! There is nothing better than a trail that kicks your #$$! i will be trying walnut this weekend for my first ride in Austin. Hopefully I don't get to lost. Wifey doesn't show up for a least a month, so I have some time to hit some trails.
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Georgetown trail

Walnut is great! But beware if you go on Sunday after noon it can get really busy,Saturday early is my best time, Sunday early is good to but by10 or so it starts to fill up, is a great day to meet some local riders though, Austin ridge riders have a weekly ride on Sunday 1or2 pm I think you can check their website the will show you around and have a no drop for all levels,

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Be careful at Lake GT right now - the rattlesnakes are really out sunning themselves on rocks with the Spring temps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My ride report from a while back. It's pretty detailed:
    SBTEC MTB ATX: Goodwater Lake Trail
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member

Georgetown trail

Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    Be careful at Lake GT right now - the rattlesnakes are really out sunning themselves on rocks with the Spring temps.
    So how long is this an occurrence?
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member
    May 2011

Georgetown trail

They'll likely be a danger for most of the summer. You might not see them as much in the middle when it's very hot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_2011 View Post
    Average loop time? Would love to ride with you just not sure I can hang with you
    I ride at a social pace. Probably 4 hours for the full lap. It is something I like to do once or twice a year, it takes a lot out of you
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    IMO the Goodwater loop is some of the best MTBing in the Austin area. It's the only place around that you can really feel like your "out there" and you feel like you've accomplished something when your done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You're right; I was thinking park to park shuttle or out & back as a way of avoiding a commitment to doing the whole loop.

Team Livemedium
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    You can cut 3 to 4 miles off by crossing at the box crossing near tejas.
    What do you mean box crossing? the westernmost point is the road/bridge at tejas
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_2011 View Post
    i need to ride this trail! There is nothing better than a trail that kicks your #$$! i will be trying walnut this weekend for my first ride in Austin. Hopefully I don't get to lost. Wifey doesn't show up for a least a month, so I have some time to hit some trails.
    austin ridge riders leads a walnut ride sunday mornings at 9:30 am, they have beginner to advanced groups.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa View Post
    What do you mean box crossing? the westernmost point is the road/bridge at tejas
    a couple miles downstream from that westernmost point there is a stream crossing. i think on some maps it is shown as hunt crossing.

endo_2011, let us know if you ever ride out there. i tried it out and it was really really tough. but, i am a relatively weak rider, on a heavy hardtail bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Really? That's not even close to accurate. You must not be riding on the same trails I am. Best in the Austin area? Not even close.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lake GT has many areas for 4 hour rides or just a quick hour ride as time allows - see map attached. I usually start at the dam and head counterclock wise from Overlook Trailhead toward Jim Hogg Park - some flow, technical, rockbeds and some great views - lake and wildlife. Always come up on turkey, fox, deer, dillos in the morning...

From Tejas toward Russell and/or Cedar Breaks offers some great flowing trails then it get into technical areas - there are some many areas to explore around lake GT...and I have never seen another MTB on trails when I have ridden the lake, it is very peaceful and good for the soul!
    Attached Files Attached Files

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    yep. you stop and look at a deer at g'town, and you're not going to get nicked or yelled at by some pinhead ripping by you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast