mtbr member
    May 2012

Flats and Lubbock

And I'm not just talking about the topography.

I went for my first ride at Mae Simmons since I got a mountain bike a few months ago and ended up with a flat rear tire late in the ride. Later when I went to change it, I noticed the front was flat too. I pulled out quite a few small thorns and 2 or 3 bigger thorns from both tires. Do all y'all run tubeless up here, or am I just a thorn magnet? I never had any problems with flats on the trails at home (I'm up here for school), but they also aren't located in an area with desert vegetation.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I put a Specialized Airlock tube in my rear tire for this reason. I am in North Texas, but I have a tendency to find thorns and such on the trail. I don't want to go tubeless (scared to with my size), but running tubes with sealant in them is the best I can do.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    I ride in El Paso and it's impossible to ride here without tubeless

meh
    tubeless for sure

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ride the mae simmons trail about once a week.. I used to get flats pretty often up there but i havent had one in a while. I use the tire liners now and havent had a flat out there in a while.. just try to avoid riding off the trail as much as possible. btw were you riding with headphones on a couple satudays ago around 11am?? Also use slime..

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nope, that wasn't me.

mtbr member
    Tubeless, TUBELESS!!

I used to ride there when i was in school. I rode Slime tubes, but that was back around 2004. Now, tubeless would be a no-brainer. It will be lighter and more compliant than thorn proof tubes or liners.

Seriously, just do it. You probably convert your current wheels and tires for less than $40.