mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Fat Bikes in Houston

Is there anyone in town that is sporting a Fat Bike? i know there are several vendors for Surly in Houston, but have never seen one on the trails that i have been to.

If you have one, how often do you ride it compared to your other ponies in the stable?
    Living in Houston makes me more of a Ditch Bike Rider

Man my bike needs a better motor

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    T Bone at West End commutes on a tricked out Pugs.

meh
    the new surly krampus 29+ is pretty interesting...ive never seen nor ridden a fatbike here in dfw though

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    So with our trail and weather conditions, i wonder how i could justify (to the wife) the purchase......especially since i have had my current bike for less than a year.

Clewttu, didn't Dorba temporarily have a fat bike forum?
    Living in Houston makes me more of a Ditch Bike Rider

Man my bike needs a better motor

meh
    not that i recall
    tell her you need a beach/sand bike

mtbr member
    West End Bicycles has a couple fat bikes for sale

mtbr member
    The mechanic at Bikeland has a Pugsley that he recently acquired. I'd say he rides it half the time he's on the trail. The other half is with a 90s Trek.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Faulker479 View Post
    So with our trail and weather conditions, i wonder how i could justify (to the wife) the purchase......especially since i have had my current bike for less than a year.

Clewttu, didn't Dorba temporarily have a fat bike forum?
    Yeah, there was one temporarily. For some reason, it was way up near the top of the list of forums when it should have been down closer to the bottom. It was removed a short time later, though.

There are 3-4 fat bike owners in DFW that I know of. I have a Pugsley, there are two other Pugsleys that I know of, and there's another rider that has a Salsa, I think.

I bring my Pugsley out once every couple of weeks these days -- with the heat, it's rough trying to pedal it around on the trails. Once things start to cool down, I expect it'll see more action.

One thing about a fat bike: they really attract attention. It's not uncommon for people that know I have it to ask me "where's the Pugsley?" when they see me at a trail on another bike.

I do know of at least one DORBA member that has a Krampus on order already...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    West End Cycles has the Surly Pugsley & Krampus, Salsa Mukluk and even a Beargrease.

Performance Bicycle on Westheimer advertises that they sell the Charge Cooker Maxi, but none on site. This bike and the Pugsley are advertised by REI now, but I don't know of one on site anywhere in town.

I'd go to San Antonio, Austin or DFW if I could take a look at some others. I'd like to see an On One Fatty and a Norco Bigfoot. Someone in town will eventually have a Specialized Fatboy, I'm sure, if for no other reason than show.

I did like the Mukluk!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    CycleTX in the Woodlands has Moonlanders. I haven't been up to take a look.

When asked, several shops said they have no plans to carry either the Fatboy or the Farley. Several employees have tried to discourage me from considering them, but I am not listening.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hopefully, if Bikes Direct's info is accurate, I should have my Motobecane Boris X9 in a couple more weeks.. It's been a long wait since I pre-ordered it in November..

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

fat bike choices in H-Town

Quote Originally Posted by CC-John View Post
    Hopefully, if Bikes Direct's info is accurate, I should have my Motobecane Boris X9 in a couple more weeks.. It's been a long wait since I pre-ordered it in November..
    CC-John, that would be great if you post what you think of the bike and the process of buying online. I am a little leery of buying a bike I never rode! Choices on fat bikes are limited around here, though. I wish I could look at an On One Fatty, but not likely. Someone posted he bought a Kona Wo in Austin. The Boris sounds like a good deal!

A friend bought a road bike through BD & was very pleased. I think there was an actual store for BD in the Heights, but I think it closed. He picked it up there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The Boris will be my second Bikes Direct bike, I bought a Gravity 29point4 29er from them in 2011 and have been totally pleased with the bike.. I've rode the snot out of it and it's only required basic maintenance that any bike would require..

As far as buying online, I don't have any problem with it.. I've been wrenching on my own bikes since the 70's and can assemble and tune my own bike, I have no need for all the "extras" that get built into the price of a bike from the LBS..

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I ordered an On One Fatty two weeks ago and just got an update that the bike is due to ship end of April from the UK. So far the online purchase process has been a breeze, I'm confident after months of extensive research (obsession) that this will fit my riding style. Fingers crossed that it gets here without much delay. I'll post back once I've had some time with it on H-town trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Dcass,
    Reviews of the Fatty by very hardcore people have been excellent. It is described as a trail bike design rather than a snow bike - not sure what that really means! Reviews of the wheels and tires don't seem too bad. The same people seem to think only Surly wheels & tires are acceptable. Those are MAJOR expenses. We won't see the snow, so I wonder if other options might be fine around here.

I have test ridden a Mukluk and a Moonlander, both were very nice. The Pugsley had a slightly unstable feel to the steering, but a very brief test. That is about all we can try out around here!

Hope you enjoy!

bike rider
    I rode this Mukluk that I changed everything except the frame and hubs on for a while last year. I'm doing a LaMere carbon build now. The Muk was 25.4lbs and the LaMere should be 20lbs.

I got some pretty decent Niners!

Fatty Nation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcass_mtbeng View Post
    I ordered an On One Fatty two weeks ago and just got an update that the bike is due to ship end of April from the UK. So far the online purchase process has been a breeze, I'm confident after months of extensive research (obsession) that this will fit my riding style. Fingers crossed that it gets here without much delay. I'll post back once I've had some time with it on H-town trails.
    I too live in The Woodlands/Houston... would be nice to see a few fat bike riders around... my On One Fatty is being built up at Planet X USA as we speak...
    IF IT AIN'T A FATTY IT AIN'T WORTH RIDING...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'd love to hear what you guys think of the On-One Fattys! Sounds like a very cool bike and I like the slightly unusual looks.

So many new fat bikes coming out in just the last week! Unfortunately prices are going up, not down!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I bought a Surly Moonlander from West End before relocating to Kazakhstan. I broke it in riding around Pundt Park near Spring, Woodlands trails and some in the nature center off Riley Fuzzel. Absolutely changes the spectrum of what you can ride when it comes to that powdery, soft wheel sucking sand along bayous. It literally floats over that stuff and with a little momentum you can ride over anything. I diverted off on the horse trails at Pundt (before I knew bikes weren't allowed but not officially banned) and the sand there is several inches thick and churned up by horses. Moonlander rode over it like alpine soil in the Colorado mountains. Here in KZ I'm riding mostly dirt roads but when it gets muddy or several inches of soft powder snow it plows through with no problem. Get a fat bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've seen three in the past 10 days @ Double Lake, Cypresswood, and CyCreek
    They're out there...