mtbr member
    May 2007

Early in the a.m. or late in the evening? Debate...

In these late summer days when do you get out and ride? Why?

I like the mornings when I can. However, the spider webs really wear me out..Your welcome!

Evenings are still hotter than I like, even when the sun is gone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Where i live in El Paso, its early in the morning if you live on the West side of the mountain and evening on the north east side of the mountain. If you can ride in the shadow of the mountain, it makes a big difference. Morning rides suck however if you dont like waking up early.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I like to ride in the evening because I'm too lazy to get out of bed in the morning.

mtbr member
    exercising early in the morning always makes my stomach hurt, so i usually just go for evening, or suck it up and ride in the afternoon becuase thats when i have the time.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    I like to ride in the evening because I'm too lazy to get out of bed in the morning.
    I hear that !

Ugly As F*ck
    Spiders? What do you know about spiders? I've ridden the local trails at 4am. Both me and the bike were covered in them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I do either, but prefer evenings after work. I am not a morning person. The heat doesn't bother me when I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Early morning is ideal but I'm not a morning person either. By the time I get ready and get my ass in gear it's 10 or 11am when I start. Evenings are still to hot this time of year to ride.

When I was 18/19 I would ride at 3 in the afternoon and the heat didn't bother me. Now days the heat really drains my energy. I don't want to do anything the rest of the day after a hot ride.

mtbr member
    it takes longer for the terrain and air around here to heat up than to cool down. if you want to wait in the evening until it's cool enough to ride and not boil alive, you need to wait until WELL after dark. If you want to ride in daylight when it's still cool, you need to go out early. I never get myself together early enough on my days off to ride early, so I always end up riding in the heat of the afternoon.

mtbr member
    Late after, 'cause I need to take advantage of morning energy for working.
    Swingin' a hammer is for the young.
    Aaarrrrgggghhhhh.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Early mornings are the way to go. But I will admit in the summer the webs and spiders are crazy. I dont mind the small webs at OP, but the huge ones at Govt cyn are a nuisance.Govt cyn in the winter is the best. I used to live in CA, and riding when its 50 degrees, I could easily ride for 4-7 hrs and enjoy it.

Custom User Title
    Nights are far more fun, but early morning is far cooler. Im not much of a morning person, but after work Im usually too tired to ride. Its terrible.
    Slightly faster than a speeding snail.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have to agree with pretty much everybody on this one...I have had to work at making myself get up early on my days off to beat the heat. But come fall, I'll be back to early afternoon / evening rides for sure!

Thanks for playing...needed to liven up the Texas forum board a bit!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Thanks to God I haven't encountered any spider webs on my morning rides. This ole boy don't do spiders...period. If I'm riding down the trail and hit some low lying trees and feel something fall through my helmet onto my head I freak out. Anyone remember the guy from Home Alone when the spider gets put on his chest? That's what you hear from me in the woods. I'd rather stick my hand blindly down a snake hole.

I agree that the Texas board get a little...boring at times. I know we have lots of riders but getting them to come out of the woodwork is tough.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

Ugly As F*ck
    Spiders don't bother me. I actually like the little guys.

Bikes/Beers/BustinAss
    Dec 2012
    I don't mind the heat if I have water. I wish they would come out with a camel back bigger than 100 oz. Sometimes my friends complain about my odor during the scorchers.
    I ride because exercising sucks, it's a lot of fun, and it makes beer taste oh so much better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rambler85 View Post
    I don't mind the heat if I have water. I wish they would come out with a camel back bigger than 100 oz. Sometimes my friends complain about my odor during the scorchers.
    If you have a MULE or something bigger you can put a second bladder in it. Just put it in the big compartment and run the tube out of the zipper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I go straight from work pretty much every other evening. It helps that I'm so close to Cameron park and 15-20 miles of trails, which I can get to in 10 minutes. But at 5:30, it's still pretty much peak temp obviously. Good thing there's lots of shade. Just gotta keep moving to get some airflow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    I hear that !
    I'm with these guys.

mtbr member
    I like to go early in the morning. A "post-ride" beer at 10am is better than an "I'm an alcoholic" beer at 10am.

TeXaS BoY
    Jan 2004
    I ride the mornings because it is cooler. Bad thing is that I hit the trail before anyone else has, and then I'm on spider patrol. Evening rides are fun once the heat index dips below 110!
    Don't live in fear. Be ready.

I love my bike like a fat kid loves cake.

mtbr member
    I'm fortunate to have mostly shaded trails where I ride, so afternoon and evening rides are tolerable even when it's hot. I always look forward to that first norther in the fall though.