mtbr member

Double Lake Recreation Area

Part two of my contour camera experiment handlebar mount yesterday at double lake.

lesson learned...let your perspective rider get 5-6 bike lengths in front of you 2-3 bike lengths and all you get a view of their rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    How is this trail. I have ridden most of the trails in Houston, excpet the two that you recently filmed! I ride Memorial (because I live about 5 minutes from it), Cypresswood and The Ant Hills.

Can you compare these two that you recorded to them? Are they worth the drive, are they challenging?

Thanks!!

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    I've rode Double Lake a million times and can tell you there there is nothing technical in the way of drops, stairsteps, or things of that nature. There's plenty of roots plus moderate uphills/downhills but nothing a beginner can't handle. There's 20 miles of singletrack that you can really haul ass on. If you want something more challenging then you need to head down to Jack Brooks Park just north of Galveston or out of town to Lake Bryan, Bluff Creek Ranch, or Rocky Hill Ranch. After that it's time to go to Austin!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sandwich King View Post
    How is this trail. I have ridden most of the trails in Houston, excpet the two that you recently filmed! I ride Memorial (because I live about 5 minutes from it), Cypresswood and The Ant Hills.

Can you compare these two that you recorded to them? Are they worth the drive, are they challenging?

Thanks!!
    We live off memorial drive and can get to memorial park in 5min. yet it's been over year since we have ridden there the trails are all torn up from the machines removing the dead trees and unless you get there really really early or in the heat of the day you can't really ride all out with out the danger of running head on to some one coming the other way or someone stopped on the trail in a blind corner.

Cypresswoods is the trail we bring our SS bikes to it's a fun little circuit that after an hour you have ridden everything a few times and it's fun factor diminishes.

Anthills is so chopped up with spiderweb mess of trails it's difficult to find a nice flowing section of singletrack it used to not be that way but new folks working on the trails in the last five years or so have made it that way. I can't blame them the trails have been slowly falling into the bayou so you gotta maximize what land you have.

Huntsville and Double Lake are not what I would consider challenging technically the fun and challenge is going fast you don't have to do a "race pace" but a hard tempo will increase the fun factor.

each trail takes about an hour to get to so to offset your travel time do a few laps you owe it to yourself to at least try em' i can't imagine just riding anthills, memorial and cypresswood over and over again ugh!

also 90min. outta town is rocky hill ranch give it a look we go up there quite often bring plenty of h20 and bug spray the blackflys and horseflys were brutal last time we were up there.

Rocky Hill Ranch - The Mountain Biking Outdoor Events Capital of Texas | Rocky Hill Ranch

XC racer
    May 2005
    Plus 2 on both Huntsville and Double Lake. I also live within riding distance of Memorial Park, last Saturday was my first ride there since the tree removal and it's in very sad shape. My favorite intown ride is the Ant Hills because I've "kind of" mastered the spiderweb that HAL mentions. Cypresswood is fun but short as he says.
    I've always had a soft spot for Double Lake, it was one of the first "destination" trails I rode when I first started. The trail additions finished in the last two years have made it just that much better. Go ride for a couple of hours, then head into Coldspring for a greasy burger at the Hop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If I drive up for Huntsville or Double Lake...which one would be better? They seemed about the same. I would guess that Double Lake would have fewer people to try to avoid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowfish View Post
    If I drive up for Huntsville or Double Lake...which one would be better? They seemed about the same. I would guess that Double Lake would have fewer people to try to avoid.
    do both!

drive to huntsville do a couple laps eat lunch then drive to double lake and do a couple laps there and then call it a day.

XC racer
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowfish View Post
    They are similar in both being "woods" type courses with gentle elevation gains. I think HSP might be a bit more "technical" since some of its roots sections are either up or downhill, DL is generally faster. Both are great facilities and you are correct in your assumption that DL is less crowded. Even on a busy weekend day, you will hardly see another cyclist on the trail and almost never hikers. HSP has LOTS of hikers on the multi-use trails so you have to watch out for that more. You can get in a longer ride without making laps at DL if you use the maps carefully, there's over 20 miles of trail, versus HSP's roughly 9-10.