mtbr member

DORBA Forum/ IDB night rides

I recently joined DORBA...when I log into the forum no topics or discussions are visible, but if I don't log in I see them Anyone else experienced this odd phenomenon as well? Any solutions?

Anyone been going on the IDB Mon night rides? Just curious to get the 4-1-1.

mtbr member

Don't know the answer to the login issue. But, DORBA and IDB both have a FB presence.

I've seen FB discussions regarding website issues and IDB night rides.

DORBA
    https://facebook.com/groups/21045224138

Isle Du Bois
    https://facebook.com/IsleDuBois?id=631316706913269&_rdr
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Bicycle Addict
    Hey sgill32, my name is Jesse, I'm the trail steward at IDB. Our night rides so far have been almost every week. We've had up to 8 people show up and as little as 2. I'm usually posting up on the Dorba site and on the Facebook page about the rides. They always start at 6:30 pm and we meet up at the trail head. The pace is usually brisk, but there are also some older guys that like to go slow if that's more your pace. If you've never ridden IDB before, I recommend you do so before attempting a night ride.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Bicycle Addict
    marpilli, good to see you back at it. I thought they banned you or something.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    marpilli, good to see you back at it. I thought they banned you or something.
    They did. I asked nicely and was un-banned.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    well, WB ! I lurk when I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    They did. I asked nicely and was un-banned.

mtbr member
    Hey thanks for the info Jesse. IDB is actually the trail I frequent the most since it's closest to my house. But your advice is definitely good given the rock gardens all along the trail especially D loop. I've never done any night riding but have always wanted to do some nocturnal riding. What loops does the ride consist of? I need to get some lights, what are you using or suggest on a $200 budget? And are you doing night rides throughout the year? Curious about the summer months.

And thanks for the FB links marpilli.

mtbr member
    In my opinion, don't spend too much on lights until you're sure night riding is for you. Maybe borrow a set from someone for a few rides. Or, just get some of the inexpensive lights off of Amazon. The DORBA FB page has some discussions on it (https://www.facebook.com/groups/dorb...1939611764139/) as does the forum (Dallas Off-Road Bicycle Association ? View topic - What is the best light combo under $100.00). Once you know it's for you, buy some better lights and keep the cheapies as spares or loaners.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Check out light and motion urban 700. One light that will mount to your helmet and turn night into day. Runs you about $125
    '14 Giant Anthem Adv 29
    '13 Giant Anthem 29
    '13 Trek Superfly 29
    '11 Trek 4300 Disc

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sgill32 View Post
    Hey thanks for the info Jesse. IDB is actually the trail I frequent the most since it's closest to my house. But your advice is definitely good given the rock gardens all along the trail especially D loop. I've never done any night riding but have always wanted to do some nocturnal riding. What loops does the ride consist of? I need to get some lights, what are you using or suggest on a $200 budget? And are you doing night rides throughout the year? Curious about the summer months.

And thanks for the FB links marpilli.
    We do all loops (including the first expert section on D). It usually takes us about 70-90 minutes depending on who's riding and how we're feeling. What is your name? We've probably met somewhere. Also, are you doing Rudolph's Revenge this Sunday? Should be a good one. As far as lights go, you can't go wrong with the Amazon cree-t6 light, or whatever its called. Yeah its cheap, and sometimes they burn out, but for the money they can't be beat. They light up the trail really well, and even better if you have the flood lens which is about $5 on eBay. I have one on my bars and it easily puts out about 1k lumens. They're rated at 1200 lumens. For the helmet I use an inexpensive Serfas 200 lumen self contained spot light. I like that you don't have to lug a battery around. For $200, you can get a sweet set-up.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the suggestions on lighting. The L&M Urbans look really nice but I had no idea there were affordable options like the T6 on Amazon...I'll definitely go that route. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do the race this w/e recovering from the flu. Sounds like a good pace for the Monday night rides, hopefully I can meet up with you out there and get to know everyone.