Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    There was discussion at the June BOD meeting about the meet-up site. The owner won't give control of the site over to DORBA and therefore DORBA cannot control any income that comes from Meet up. That is why you won't see membership info there... self serving egos. As so far as membership goes, it was also discussed that we had attracted several HUNDRED new peopel to the meet up site for DORBA that evidently weren't a part of DORBA 2.0... so the multi-media approach seems like a better fit than the P&D folks would like you to believe....

The other thing that bothers me, the BOD keep talking about going to the BOD meetings to get info on the site and such, that is why I went to the July meeting. Barely a thing was said. It was clear that the contract had no deadlines built in or timelines, but that was something I gathered by what wasn't said. I would head out to this next meeting, but it is on the other side of the earth from my house.... not gonna happen on a Tuesday night. What happened to the meetings being at REI?
    Last edited by Knight511; 08-15-2012 at 05:37 PM.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    The owner won't give control of the site over to DORBA and therefore DORBA cannot control any income that comes from Meet up.
    Just to ensure I understand. The guy that created the meet-up site (Mike?) has publicly said he will not give control of the site over to DORBA? Was he officially asked and he declined?

I wasn't aware income could come from meet-up. What are the revenue sources?
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    At the time of the meeting in July, he wouldn't give over control. That may have changed by now, but I don't know. As for income, I guess you can actually use Meetup to sign up for events and such and take registration fees, but the site was linked to Mike's info and therefore his Paypal. I am new to meetup (DORBA is the only one for me), so I am not sure how it all works.... I just know at the July meeting, it was clear he had been asked to "donate" control to DORBA but would not.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So overall it sounds like the previous BOD member who had control of the crashed and burned 2.0 now is holding the meetup group hostage.

He is not posting information on joining or renewing Dorba memberships on his site which is using the Dorba.org address.

He alleges access to inside information and estimates Dorba losses to be ~$20,000.

Website design candidate "Group B" pulled its bid alleging inside formation/half truths. Some unknown individual must have given "inside information" to group B to make them bail out of the bidding process

There seems to be a pattern or repeated and malicious interference. this interference has possibly caused a substantial loss of income to Dorba. It seems that this loss of income could be actionable by Dorba.

mtbr member

Yes.... take your toys and go home... that will help solve the problems.
    Are you talking about the new guy proposing plan b or the last person maintaining the site? Did he take the old system OFF LINE? Why did not the BOD insist that they owned the last website? I don't get that part. The old president said the old site exist and is backed up yet they don't use it? I thought it crashed and was not backed up, yet he said it was backed up.

Very very messed up.

Maybe they should use what funds they have suing the guy. I'd contribute to that cause.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    I plan on going tonight... Will let you know what I find out...

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    Are you talking about the new guy proposing plan b or the last person maintaining the site?
    The guy who withdrew proposal B.... didn't like that he got criticized some in public view and packed his toys up to go home. I remember somebody saying a WHILE back that this kind of crap should not be put out and debated in such public view, but no one listened. Companies don't air their dirty laundry, why would DORBA want to? The guy that said it should be a more private discussion may have been half way smart.

Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    I plan on going tonight... Will let you know what I find out...
    Cool. I just can't get way over to RCP. I went to the July meeting at LBH and if it wasn't for the guest speaker, it would have been a HUGE waste of time.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    I remember somebody saying a WHILE back that this kind of crap should not be put out and debated in such public view, but no one listened. Companies don't air their dirty laundry, why would DORBA want to? .
    I can see why some don't want this aired in public but this is a 501c corp and there is no other forum. I've never been to a monthly meeting where details are discussed. There is always a call to take it offline.
    Nobody cares...........

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    I can see why some don't want this aired in public but this is a 501c corp and there is no other forum. I've never been to a monthly meeting where details are discussed. There is always a call to take it offline.
    This is where it would be who of the BOD to have a second FB page for discussing stuff like this... a page that is a CLOSED group and locked down to paying members. All the "discussing" has been bad advertising for the club to say the least... at least when it comes to folks debating on joining or not.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    The meeting was interesting and I'm glad I went.

They reported that membership in January was about 1,700 and currently at 840 (I don't remember the exact numbers).

Regarding the website. There was some discussion about the necessity for a unified website and it appeared that everyone agreed DORBA did need a centralized website. Clint gave a description of the technology that he would use to build the new website if he were selected. Pricing was discussed as $3,000 one time cost and $75 monthly cost. Peter was asked if he would like to re-submit his proposal and he declined. Some additional discussion as whether to enter into contract negotiations with Clint or rework the request for proposal and seek new bidders. Bobby dismissed himself from the vote to prevent a conflict of interest as he was friends with Clint. In the end, the board voted to enter into contract negotiations with Clint and move forward with his proposal.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I am sure some would like to blame the website for the membership falling, but we also went without a membership director for a very long time. I would think that would hurt worse than the website (no one to steer the ship and send out renewal info). Be that as it may, I would like to see the site come together fairly quickly... if not in its entirety, at least the forums so we can get off of this lousy Facebook set up.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The membership fell for the same reason it increased.
    The Drupal site had autopay. Like most autopay features you had to go hunt it down to turn it off.
    Autopay is off since the Drupal site is down.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I didn't realize it had auto pay, and I didn't know why auto pay was brought up about retaining membership. Thanks again for info that isn't mentioned at the other place.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Never been a fan of autopay myself, because it just feels deceptive to many who might not remember or notice that it is used.

As far as meetup I think the site was used as a temp place for people to coordinate and the actual website isn't run by any DORBA member as it is owned by a company in New York.

If it were my personal information and or paypal information being used to start up the account then I would be careful about "turning it over".

I think before accusations start flying it's probably a good idea to find out the facts first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Facts are the guy who built and did not fix the unstable Drupal site is running the meetup site. He has admin control over the site.
    Facts are he could put a sticky at the top of every forum about joining dorba 'how to join dorba"

So why hasn't he?

Go over to the meet up site and request a sticky at the top of every forum. See how long it takes.
    Better yet, ask yourself why little to nothing has been done to promote dorba membership by the site admin.

This is the same person who on meetup is posting about all the lost memberships.

Does that make sense to anyone......

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't know if those are facts. Sorry, but you stating something as fact doesn't mean that is the reality.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    They are facts. You seem to be the only one who doesn't know them.
    Go look around on meetup and ask about what I stated if you don't believe it.
    Then you can come back here and verify that what I stated is accurate and truthful.
    Until then you are just wasting keystrokes, and my time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    For someone to post "FACTS" they usually verify it and something cross-referenced on another forum is hardly evidence to support anything. I can post -anything- with multiple accounts and according to your standard that is now fact.

Glad you aren't a lawyer...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So the classic move the goal posts and matters what the definition of "is" is.

Try educating yourself and thinking for yourself.

So why is there no "join dorba" information clearly posted on meetup. Start there grasshopper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Meetup has a joinup. I did start there. I am not the administration and neither are you. I don't know what is done with that information once you do JOIN THE CLUB ON MEETUP.

The only fact is capitalized for emphasis since this guy must be an "insider" to know all the facts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    Meetup has a joinup. I did start there. I am not the administration and neither are you. I don't know what is done with that information once you do JOIN THE CLUB ON MEETUP.

The only fact is capitalized for emphasis since this guy must be an "insider" to know all the facts.
    Unless you've mailed in the application form with a check (http://files.meetup.com/3841722/DORB...lication_0.pdf) or have otherwise coordinated with the membership director for dues payment (email join.dorba@gmail.com), then you aren't a member of the club.

If DORBA was collecting memberships through Meetup, then the whole website ordeal wouldn't be quite as big an issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Buadyen View Post
    Unless you've mailed in the application form with a check (http://files.meetup.com/3841722/DORB...lication_0.pdf) or have otherwise coordinated with the membership director for dues payment (email join.dorba@gmail.com), then you aren't a member of the club.

If DORBA was collecting memberships through Meetup, then the whole website ordeal wouldn't be quite as big an issue.

I don't know what is done in regards to the information being gathered. So what you are saying is fact I take it? I haven't seen anything in regards to what you are saying.

The point is half the people here are making assumptions without references to people who are in charge. Half of this mess was caused by the same backstabbing type comments that are meant to hurt and spread hate.

Just stop the gossip and learn the facts.

The meeting was held and they are moving FORWARD on the issue. Let it go.

You lost ZERO in money over it anyway. The organization is still moving forward the best it can.

Stop what iffing the past.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Dude, you should have just stop at the "I don't know."

That is the only accurate thing you have written all day.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Hiway, why did you come here? You have added nothing. You have added no "facts" and you have proved nothing. The statements that have been made about the meetup site are fact. Unless you have proof as to their demise, don't tell us we are making assumptions.

I was at the board meeting where the Meetup site was discussed in June, I reported what was discussed.

DORBA will go on and survive past this, but those that have been hurling the biggest stones on the DORBA sites are the ones that self proclaim an unending love for DORBA and claim to be the biggest supporters yet they are also the ones causing the biggest stink and thus the ones that will push away the casual riders that are part of DORBA. If a company has **** going on, they keep the **** behind closed doors and paint as rosy of a picture as they can for the people buying their stock. The leadership of DORBA has not been doing this (the BOD or those that are the loudest) and therefore have only served to drive people away with their petty public bickering. Public bickering is not healthy for any company or organization.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I came here to post my opinion and to remark that most of you, to include you, don't know all the in's and out's of why this or why that happened. That's the only fact.

The fact is not one person here moaning and groaning about this (which is water under the bridge now anyway) has lost a single thing in regards to all this.

If you don't like the leadership then go officially do something about it.

Knight511 you are a hypocrite when you criticize public bickering, yet do it yourself here.

Just let it go and as your quote says, "less moaning, more riding".

Or my advice, would be vote with your feet if it irks you this much.

I know I wouldn't miss most of you that get all panicky that your social website is down...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast