Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I got banned for pointing out the Mike could have fixed things while he was on the board.
    I also invoked the name of cap carter and that was the final straw. You did the cap carter thing too if I remember.
    Criterion for being banned is asking questions and pointing out stupidity. Plus the sarcasm I guess. I kept telling Mike that his situation was truly sad.
    It's all in the first few pages of the dorba transition thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    It is growing and thriving. I have been to and seen a lot of participation in regards to DORBA and the people I met face to face didn't moan and groan like the few here. I am somewhat amazed how quick people are to place blame on a volunteer group of people who are contributing their time FREE OF CHARGE as quickly as you folks do.

Don't like it? Then run for leadership positions. Take your negativity to a meeting live and in person and see how this tone does for you.

The explanations have been made and it seems to me I understand what happened, yet you still want to whine and cry about it.

The bottom line there are steps in the process and progress is being made.

Learn some patience, learn some manners, and learn to realize the environment here is NOT DORBA.

There is no way it is growing like it was, simply given the fact that there is no longer an online membership mechanism. Print and fill out a form and mail it in with a check!? Welcome back to the 80s. Who can say how many people have chosen not to renew, or how many new people decided not join in the first place as a result of this fiasco?

And, it has been many things, but "quick" certainly isn't one of them; the decision to "go a different direction" and build a new webpage (rather than update the 2.0 version) was made in January; the site crashed in June. We are nearly into September.

There are *lots* of totally volunteer MTB clubs and organizations out there that run just fine; the fact that DORBA is 100% volunteer doesn't excuse it from all criticism. And just because the person criticizing is not in a "leadership position", doesn't mean that their criticism is invalid. This is like saying that unless you are prepared to run for President of the US, you don't have a right to disagree with the job he is doing.

Face it, DORBA deserves a bit of criticism in how this was (mis)managed. Only key individuals know exactly how much, but certainly club funds were squandered on this fiasco. And while it is true that hind-sight is 20/20 and criticism won't fix anything at this point, neither will getting on your high horse and talking down to the people who do feel the need to share their opinions on the matter.

Let's all try to find some middle ground here - somewhere between pointless complaining and carte-blanc approval.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Mike did " ban" my static home ip from dorba.org but i was never banned from the org. It was funny as he never realized how ineffective banning by ip is.

Poor guy after meetup this is like three tries at a website, at least this one will be backed for him. I cant believe they think he was seccessful given that none of the prior attempts ever endured, Rich thinks I am an idiot for making that a reqirement for success.
    Nobody cares...........

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    All right... I remember the name Capt Carter but don't remember why. Anyone want to give me a history lesson to refresh my memory?
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (the commuter)

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    There is some feedback loop whereby they experience group feelgoodism with total disregard for performance. It is as they create an alternate reality. Truthfully, I've seen this in other non-profits as well. Must go hand in hand with non-profits and be somehow related to the non-reality of their situation.
    Goes in my column of ego stroking.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Goes in my column of ego stroking.
    So what? Maybe i am being an egotist? At least l am pointing out substitive issues that are at the root of the failure.

Are you one of those people that fawn over the people making mistakes over and over again?
    Nobody cares...........

banned
    So what? Maybe i am being an egotist? At least l am pointing out substitive issues that are at the root of the failure.

Are you one of those people that fawn over the people making mistakes over and over again?
    I read his statement differently. I didn't think his response was directed at you. Rather, it was directed at the people in the situation you described. I may be out in left field on this, though....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Mike did " ban" my static home ip from dorba.org but i was never banned from the org. It was funny as he never realized how ineffective banning by ip is.

Poor guy after meetup this is like three tries at a website, at least this one will be backed for him. I cant believe they think he was seccessful given that none of the prior attempts ever endured, Rich thinks I am an idiot for making that a reqirement for success.
    I was out for like 2 minutes
    ipconfig /release

Then I was right back onsite, but I did not rejoin. What's the point of joining, right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    +1 I think knight was agreeing with you. So our own little ego stroking circle. Oh, the irony

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    All right... I remember the name Capt Carter but don't remember why. Anyone want to give me a history lesson to refresh my memory?
    That could take days.

Let's just say that he was thought of as the devil by groups who took over Dorba a few years back.
    He allegedly used position and influence in Dorba for personal gains.
    He was accused of being the backdoor hacker taking the old site down no matter what was tried to keep him out.
    The one crash was due to the new dorba board not paying the hosting site. They still blamed cap somehow.
    Good times.
    Everyone has a side. My main issue has always been timely trail reports. The rest of the site and politics involved isn't anything I want to deal with.
    Issue here is that the politics/ego's got in the way of keeping the average recreational rider on the trails.
    So here we are.
    One site -dallastrails.org- now being used for about half of the trails.
    Some updates on meetup.
    Individual twitter and facebook pages.
    Other forums, like FWMBA.org.
    Some chaos, but its sort of fun chasing all the links down to update MTBR.
    Also why I linked things so everyone can check the info I check on in case I am not able to update immediately.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010

I wasn't talking about you... but the feelgood loop that you pointed out... all the thank yous and ego stroking on DORBA...
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I almost missed DORBA 2.0 entirely... I guess I was involved back with 1.0 and only caught the tail end of 2.0 (I may have had 10 posts).

I agree with odtexas entirely. The most important aspect of DORBA are the trail status and the support of the trails. Of the 800 remaining members, it is not a majority of people that race or want to do anything except help support a good cause and to keep the trails open. Anything beyond that, really needs to take a back seat, but the politics would NEVER let that happen.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    For the record Im not taking any of this personally. Im good with everyone and truly think everyone wants to see DORBA succeed. I do remain frustrated as I put in much effort and time. To see all the missteps and mistakes for poor reasons drives me nutz.

I sure wish it was dry this weeknd, i could use a good ride. I think I am off for a wet run in the dark this evening.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    And to see one of the lead contenders for the new site still wanting to run Drupal blows my mind. In my untrained opinion, that back end is a POS that needs to DIAF. It couldn't handle the load then, what makes people think it will stay up in the coming years?
    Drupal handles the whitehouse website with millions of hits monthly just fine. I believe it's the combination of the hosting server and configuration issues.

Any of you folks ride on the south side of town and don't mind a fat guy tagging along, hit me up, I am always down for meeting some new folks and getting a ride in.
    I live near the park, maybe we can go ride sometimes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas View Post
    So here we are.
    One site -dallastrails.org- now being used for about half of the trails.
    Some updates on meetup.
    Individual twitter and facebook pages.
    Other forums, like FWMBA.org.
    Some chaos, but its sort of fun chasing all the links down to update MTBR.
    Also why I linked things so everyone can check the info I check on in case I am not able to update immediately.
    Thank you for your efforts, because I usually look for your trail report/updates before heading out to the trails.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostFab View Post
    I live near the park, maybe we can go ride sometimes.
    Once it cools a bit, I am going to post up some "fat guy" rides out at CHSP... I am not as bad as I make it out to be, but I do have to stop a couple of times to stretch my knees a bit. I will keep you posted... I try to ride some during the week (mornings) but I have a flexible work schedule.... I will try so evening rides too.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Once it cools a bit, I am going to post up some "fat guy" rides out at CHSP... I am not as bad as I make it out to be, but I do have to stop a couple of times to stretch my knees a bit. I will keep you posted... I try to ride some during the week (mornings) but I have a flexible work schedule.... I will try so evening rides too.
    if ur on the south side why waste ur time with chsp? i wish i was on the south side as bc would be my home trail.
    Nobody cares...........

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Nostalgia for the most part. I grew up riding CHSP (trail head was 13 miles from my mom's front door, so I could ride to it). I also keep a pass to the state parks as my wife and I thoroughly enjoy hiking, so CHSP is pretty much free for me. The final reason is because the person I ride with sometimes is a CHSP fan, so if I have a riding buddy, I will ride where ever they want to. Riding alone is not nearly as much fun.

I haven't been to BC as it didn't exist when I was riding last... I will eventually get over to it.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    I haven't been to BC as it didn't exist when I was riding last... I will eventually get over to it.
    Ah. Sorry, did not realize you'd just gotten into, or back into, riding. BC is very close to chsp and is the best trail in north Texas IMO. Lots of variety there, lots of climbing as well. Let me know and I can give you a tour if you want. It is my favorite trail but I live in north Dallas so it is a pain to get there especially during the week. My week day trail is north shore, west side preferably. I'm an old fart, 50, but I still enjoy the challenges of the tech west side of ns.
    Nobody cares...........

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    the dorba site is waaaayyy better than the ghorba. ghorba forums in particular.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Ah. Sorry, did not realize you'd just gotten into, or back into, riding. BC is very close to chsp and is the best trail in north Texas IMO. Lots of variety there, lots of climbing as well. Let me know and I can give you a tour if you want. It is my favorite trail but I live in north Dallas so it is a pain to get there especially during the week. My week day trail is north shore, west side preferably. I'm an old fart, 50, but I still enjoy the challenges of the tech west side of ns.
    50.... bet you can still beat the crap out of this 32 year old. I have only ridden NS twice. The first time, I ended the ride by taking a nasty fall in a sand trap.... the second ride was really nice because I was chasing a much more skilled and fit rider and was keeping up pretty well. I will try again some day, but it is hard to drive that far when I have some good stuff nearby. I figure I will stick with CHSP until I get a new bike (Octoberish?) because I have learned my current ride is great, but the fork is WAY under sprung for me and makes technical stuff suck.I know CHSP pretty well so it makes for a decent work out. Shooting to lose another 15-20 pounds before my birthday in October.... shouldn't be hard, I have plenty of extra.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    the dorba site is waaaayyy better than the ghorba. ghorba forums in particular.
    GHORBA is working on it's forums and has an update coming out shortly, but the two sites aren't even on a comparable level. Beyond a calendar and a message board the DORBA site presents no information to the user.

mtbr member
    Shooting to lose another 15-20 pounds before my birthday in October.... shouldn't be hard, I have plenty of extra.
    Go for it and good luck.

I am down 30 lbs or more since my early 40's. Changes your life.

Not to offend you in telling you how to mind your business but pay attention to what you
    eat and drink. Yeah, you probably already know that...................................
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    DORBA's newest member

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Not to offend you in telling you how to mind your business but pay attention to what youeat and drink. Yeah, you probably already know that...................................

If I told you that I am married to a licensed/registered dietician, would you have mercy on my soul? I am actually down about 12 for the year. The only thing I drink with calories is skim milk from time to time and Dr Pepper 10 (as I am addicted to caffeine and can't stand coffee). Once I am riding again, I should start losing again... I have been holding steady for about 2 months since it got way too hot for my fat ass to ride (and maintain the 7 yards a week I am responsible for... yards come first since they pay for the hobby). and no... I am not easily offended.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Motemis View Post
    DORBA's newest member
    Welcome aboard.... there is a bridge out on the tracks ahead....
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdole View Post
    Beyond a calendar and a message board the DORBA site presents no information to the user.
    On Dorba I see group rides, training clinics, trail maintenance days, trail conditions, and decent forums. I also see those on GHORBA. What else does GHORBA have that I am missing, that could not be posted in a forum sticky? I admit that the GHORBA site is above my level of intelligence and ability to take in information, and hope that you can help me understand it better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    On Dorba I see group rides, training clinics, trail maintenance days, trail conditions, and decent forums. I also see those on GHORBA. What else does GHORBA have that I am missing, that could not be posted in a forum sticky? I admit that the GHORBA site is above my level of intelligence and ability to take in information, and hope that you can help me understand it better.
    Sorry, not going to play that game.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    GHORBA is working on it's forums and has an update coming out shortly, but the two sites aren't even on a comparable level. Beyond a calendar and a message board the DORBA site presents no information to the user.
    Sorry, not going to play that game.
    Okay, no problem. Looking forward to the next iteration of the site.

banned
    Update from Clint Tredway on the FaceBook site (8/28/2012):

Ok, figured everyone deserves an update.
    The contract between DORBA and my self was signed 2 days ago. What does that mean? In 2 weeks or less phase 1 will be up and running. That is trail info/status and the forum (some other stuff but its a bit more technical). Could be up sooner than 2 weeks but 2 weeks is the deadline. I will answer questions minus 'Is it done yet' lol.. but seriously.. the deadline is set and it is now public knowledge. See you on the trails..
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/dorba/

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Newest update from the FB page:
    Tuesday sept 11th is the two week timeline/deadline before contractual penalties kick in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    New Dorba beta up and running.

Worth checking out.

Only unfortunate thing so far is Johnny, I think he is the vice president and this is how he chooses to represent Dorba to the public.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Good family friendly fun there, right?
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Worth checking out.

Only unfortunate thing so far is Johnny, I think he is the vice president and this is how he chooses to represent Dorba to the public.
    He's the current VP of Operations, yes...

mtbr member

Worth checking out.

funny, i used to look like that
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    And it is PERFECT since he made the post about how to join....

Any parent that thinks it is a good family type group to join will at least have plenty of warning....
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phatphil View Post
    funny, i used to look like that
    Now that is funny!
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Wow.. at lot of **** stirred in here. This could get real interesting.

I am the "developer" and former BOD member (2 years ago) that built the previous DORBA site. I'll answer any questions you might have about what I know from my perspective on the events covered in this thread.

There are so many inaccuracies already published already and I don't have time to address them all. Suffice it to say this is not how I wanted this to turn out and I never imagined that what we had would be totally thrown out without a viable replacement in hand. I did seek out an expert in CiviCIRM, Drupal, and large site scaling to do the tuning to the site to keep it running with the increasing traffic and load but it was made clear to me by Pam Jackson that she wanted to go in a "new direction".

The old site is still running. The BOD and membership director use it to maintain things the best they can. It just can't handle the public traffic. It needs help and looks like it won't get it.

Anyway, if you care to ask I will try to answer as truthfully as my recollection allows. I have nothing to hide and only wish I had the skills to scale the site. Were that the case it would still be running and a lot of this drama would only be just that. Unfortunately a good club is taking some lumps. But the good things is that the important components... the people, the trails, and good times are still there.
    Last edited by Solo, with others; 09-17-2012 at 03:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brewrider View Post
    Drupal isn't necessarily the problem. Some much larger and much busier sites run on it. The problem with Drupal is that less skilled / less dedicated people can really make a mess of it. With Drupal, it's a lot more about the coders than other CMS platforms. Honestly, I think a really good PHP & Drupal guy could have fixed the problems they had. A good MySQL DBA would probably need to examine the database too. That doesn't solve the problem though since you really can't just code these things and leave it alone. It needs routine code maintenance. Few things of any complexity work that way. It sounded to me like the people who were working on the old site knew what the problems were and how to fix them, but they were not allowed to go forward with the fixes. Instead, the powers that be wanted to make a radical change. I guess they thought they'd be throwing good money after bad.

IMO, they should have been working on the old site to keep it on life support AND a new site if that's the direction they wanted to go. You don't just shut down and hope the new site comes through on time. This is the business I'm in. This stuff never gets done on time...
    This makes sense to me.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    We should probably start a new DORBA thread and let this one die. I hope that given some time, things will calm a bit over there but there is too much drama right now. People claim that is just part of DORBA, but it really detracts from how good DORBA could be. Some moderation would go a long way over there... it is the most bipolar club I have been a part of.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    No need to close this thread down. In fact, having the rebuttal in it seems to me be the best place to maintain the information.

You have the opportunity to get a different side of the story from someone, who in this thread at least, has been spoken of negatively. Why not ask the direct questions instead of repeating hear-say and gossip?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Who is odtexas?
    Definitely doesn't have some of his facts straight.
    But hey, the internets are for drama.

mtbr member
    I'm figuring he's not now going to way to assert what he earlier presented as fact. That stand just fine by me and save me some time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Like you are attempting to stir up now. Nicely played...
    odtexas is the guy that guy who got scott his first ride on a 29er at sid richards a few years back.
    So I am guessing that you pigs and dawgs are showing up here for the first posts in years since you are no longer in control of the dorba site. Just remember that here you can't get away all the drama that solo allowed on the now old and dead drupal site.
    Besides the picture of Johnny speaks for itself. No half truths. Just a bunch of past their prime racers who never matured past their ego's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thought I recognized that handle! Holy crap, it's been a long time. BTW, I did end up getting a 29er and I'm loving it. I still dig my 650B ride, but the 29er is a ton of fun.

Anyway, I just saw this thread.. I am unfortunately a facebook junkie. And there's enough silliness there to satisfy anyone.

For the record, I'm just interested in hearing the other side of the story. I haven't been in the loop on most of this having come around after the DD started, and even as race director I had my plate full dealing with races and sponsors, so I didn't get to hear all the gossip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    WOW. I am truly amazed at the amount of hate out there for a bunch of guys who only wanted to be able to type foul manwords and objected to a sexually discriminatory forum.
    Big Pigs IS A KITWEARING RACING TEAM. Get over it, if you werent an A$$, they might have invited you, ( I never received mine). I dont know or care why DORBA's website failed, but it is not because of a bunch of dudes drinking PLB's and dropping EFBombs after a ride.
    I lived in Dallas from 98 to 11 and saw more generousity, and am still seeing it, from the Dirt Dawgs than any other DORBA "Clique". I am willing to admit my view may be biased, but then so is everyones. The air here is thinner and so is the drama.
    Oh, and just to be sure I read correctly, one of you guys searched a forum for the word "Gay"? If so, thats pretty freakin ghey, and not in the cool well dressed homosexual kinda way but the surgically removed pickle jar kinda way.
    Peace.

mtbr member
    I have no problem with someone disagreeing with how I do things. I do have a problem with someone misrepresenting facts.

At this point, after having skimmed this thread I will call odtexas' overall characterization and most of what he presents as fact here to not be the case. Some seems to be out of some agenda, the other looks to be misinformation or confusion due to hearsay.

That being said, I will answer any questions or accusations odtexas or anyone still interested may have.

Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Like you are attempting to stir up now. Nicely played...
    odtexas is the guy that guy who got scott his first ride on a 29er at sid richards a few years back.
    So I am guessing that you pigs and dawgs are showing up here for the first posts in years since you are no longer in control of the dorba site. Just remember that here you can't get away all the drama that solo allowed on the now old and dead drupal site.
    Besides the picture of Johnny speaks for itself. No half truths. Just a bunch of past their prime racers who never matured past their ego's.
    DORBA grew under the leadership of the dirtdawgs and Big Pigs. The DORBA website died under the leadership of Pam Jackson (current president).

Big Pigs show up at racing events, but to call them a racing team is overstating it. They are a club. They enjoy riding and competing... and beer (most of them - Rich, the founder of Big Pigs and former president of DORBA, doesn't drink.) They wear black and white kits with no sponsors on them. The majority of them do not shave their legs. You will see a lot of Big Pigs in the results of local races, but they do not dominate the podium. They just don't take it that seriously. They are a group of people connected through a common interest.

The dirtdawgs are simply a group of guys who enjoy an internet forum where you can say bad words and post questionable photos. The Tuesday Night Single Speed group ride out at RCP was started by dirtdawgs. The group has changed over the years, but it still has a core. It's not nearly the collection of misfits it once was. We got older, got married, had kids, moved away.

You have misrepresented nearly every organization you have mentioned. I don't know you, and I know the majority of the dirtdawgs and Big Pigs. I have no idea where you are getting your information, but you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Goonie for Pres.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Dorba 2.0 gone. Crashed and burned.
    Trails thread here over 20,000 hits since Dorba was unstable.
    Think of it as 20,000 rides not missed due to solo's inability to stabilize his platform.
    Not much more need to be said than that. Facts speak for themselves.
    "So I am guessing that you pigs and dawgs are showing up here for the first posts in years since you are no longer in control of the dorba site."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast