Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Since DORBA is down, I have a question for you Dallas folks. I will be traveling this weekend from Tyler to check out the Wee-Chi-Tah trail. On my way I'd like to stop and hit something up in Dallas. So far the only two trails in that area I have ridden have been Rowlett and Big Cedar. Based on the route Google gave me, it looks like I will be going right by LB Houston Park off of 183. I can't find a lot of info on it and wanted to know if it would be a good place to check out. Mapwise the North Shore trail isn't too far of a detour, but I know how things can be traffic-wise in the suburbs. I also wouldn't be opposed to staying on I-20 and doing one of the other trails further south. I know there's a race Saturday night at Boulder Park. Anyways, any suggestions would be welcomed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    LBH is fairly flat. Part of the Trinity River flood plain as is the River Legacy trail. If you like that sort of thing then it is worth hitting.
    If you prefered Big Cedar to Rowlett then Northshore would be a better choice. Northshore is alot more interesting with challenging section of climbs and rocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Definitely had a lot more fun at Big Cedar. Would North Shore be a pain to get to on a Saturday morning? Also, what trail head would you recommend? It looks like there are several in a few different areas. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Saturday morning might be a little busy unless you get out there early. With the heat people may be staying away. The Rockledge trail head isn't all that exciting. You might be better off with the Murrell Park/Twin Coves area.

meh
    yeah, if you are taking 114 (thats the way google maps routed me tyler>wf) then youll run just south of lake grapevine, northshore @ the madd shelter is basically the center point between the more difficult west side and the easier eastside...bring plenty of water
    another option on the south side of the lake is horseshoe, but if you can only do one, hit NS

meh
    FYI, this trails page was posted on the temp site

XC racer
    May 2005
    I like both LBH (it has nostalgic value to me since it was the trail I rode my first bike (demo) on back in 1996) and North Shore, but they're quite different and I would pick NS first. I did have one bad experience a couple of years ago. I went with local friends and we parked at the Rockledge Park trailhead. Came back after a lap to find our car broken into and were told it wasn't the first time.
    Went there about a month ago with the same folks, this time we parked at the MADD shelter lot which was a lot more trafficked and more secure. We did a full loop headed east to Rockledge, then another half loop. One of the trail's nice features is that it headed east it crosses lots of roads where you can turn around and head back the other direction without having to do the full loop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Does anyone know if there is an ETA for the new DORBA site? Their trail status page is invaluable during the wetter seasons. No worry about that right now though.

mtbr member
    This is as good as it gets for now:
    Area Trails and Conditions | Dallas Trails

The most recent update I know of was posted here on June 18th.
    I had a long talk with David Nelke this weekend. There are several reasons for the delay in providing the new website. He and his partner had a lot of difficulty with the database and had to purchase software to overcome the problems they were experiencing trying to utilize the data. By their own admission, they spent too much time trying to solve the data problem before purchasing the necessary software. At the same time Darkspire had a change and a reduction in personnel causing an even greater delay. In an effort to rectify the personnel problem two more developers joined the production last Friday. They began work on the project this weekend. It sounds like it will be at least 4 weeks before the website can be released but Darkspire is working hard to clean up the problems and produce the website. David is as upset about the delay as the we are and I ask for your continued patience. Please continue to use the DORBA meetup site for information and comments.

Pam J. Jackson
    DORBA President
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the update, I'm a dorba member but only use the site for trail status updates. It looks like it would be a good time to donate some more to a very worthy cause.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I should add that work,weather,vacation, and home bs has kept me off the trails for almost 6 months. Finding the old DORBA site down was a shock, in retaliation I decided to crack a seat stay last Friday. It seems that my riding hiatus will require some added angle iron to support my ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crapulence View Post
    I should add that work,weather,vacation, and home bs has kept me off the trails for almost 6 months. Finding the old DORBA site down was a shock, in retaliation I decided to crack a seat stay last Friday. It seems that my riding hiatus will require some added angle iron to support my ass.
    Now, that's funny.

Jumping back onto my bike for the first time in three weeks yesterday (traveling and then vacation). First thing I noticed was I'm twitchy in the corners and those long climbs just go easier in the next lower gear. I can't imagine 6 months. Good luck to you....

What area of DFW are you in?

mtbr member
    Also, I forgot about the thread on here that odtexas is maintaining. Jump to the last post in the thread and work backwards for the current conditions.

Dallas Ft. Worth Trail Conditions

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    Now, that's funny.

Jumping back onto my bike for the first time in three weeks yesterday (traveling and then vacation). First thing I noticed was I'm twitchy in the corners and those long climbs just go easier in the next lower gear. I can't imagine 6 months. Good luck to you....

What area of DFW are you in?
    I live in Flower Mound, so I usually go on the Northshore trail, if I'm really motivated I ride there for a 5 mile warmup / warmdown.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Oh and thanks for the trail condition link, we got some much needed rain last night hopefully it will get rid of many of the loose areas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crapulence View Post
    Does anyone know if there is an ETA for the new DORBA site? Their trail status page is invaluable during the wetter seasons. No worry about that right now though.
    This guy is pretty big in my books for being so direct. A welcome relief to read so much honesty over the issue.

http://www.dorba.org/messages/boards/thread/25171712/10

================================================== =========

It is with great disappointment I must let the membership know that I can not finish the website at this time.

This project was very dear to me as a biker and a member of DORBA I have had a hard time with this and have made every effort to fulfill the contract. I again apologize for all the issues it has caused.

There has been much discourse over this project and I will try to answer some questions below.
    Do not take this or the below as excuses just the facts that many have been asking for (some of this is a repeat of my last post).

I have personally had to dissolve my partnership with DarkSpire Media (DSM) due to the developers lack of fulfillment with DORBA as well as my other clients. This is the first time in six (6) years we have failed to deliver and deliver on time.

DarkSpire Media works on projects around our full time jobs. We decided to bid on this project based on a few factors:
    1. We bid a low price on the DORBA project as my way to 'give something back' to the biking community
    2. We would pull the existing SQL database over
    3. We would use an add-on for an existing program DORBA had
    4. Compatibility was researched and all pieces should work together
    5. Timeline was based on personnel and certain points discussed with the board

Money:
    To date DSM was paid $1000. I will personally refund this money to DORBA.
    To date I have personally added over $6000 to try and get this site finished.

Major Events?
    1. The existing program requested by DORBA was found to have many issues and the major factor in site speed. A decision was reached to replace it, which caused new research and compatibility questions that needed to be addressed.

2. There were numerous issues with the SQL Database and it's tables. The old DB had in excess of 250 tables that did not export out correctly because of the old software. This old info did not import into the new CRM without a lot of tweaking and database combining.

3. DSM suddenly lost developers due to their new gains in employment

4. A total of four (4) developers were brought in and paid to get the site up (at different times). They did not fulfill their obligations and were not retained.

5. A fifth WP Guru was found and was getting the project back on schedule. Shortly after he was brought on he had medical issues and was rushed to the hospital. Due to these issues he could not fulfill his obligations.

6. This brings us current and me without a developer or development team at this time.

7. Based on the extension from the original timeline DSM was approximately two (2) months behind schedule.

This was not a simple site with a skin. This was a complete corporate solution.

Membership Management
    Event Management
    Race Organization/Results
    Trail Management
    Trail/Volunteer hours
    Trail Days
    GPX mapping and tagging for trail stewards
    Interactive mapping
    Social Integration
    Find a Ride
    Weather
    Albums
    Sponsorships
    Classifieds
    Job Board
    iPhone App
    IPad App
    Droid App
    Ability for different roles throughout the site where anyone (that is in the role) can easily edit/update their areas without being a programmer or going through a complicated backed process.
    …and more

The site is still sitting at approximately 70-75% completion. If there is a WordPress development company that is willing to take it over I would be glad to work with them to switch files over as well as anything else they would need.

Notes on some key components
    Site: WordPress
    Forum: bbPress
    Social: BuddyPress
    CRM: WP-CRM
    Event Management: Event Expresso
    PhP
    CSS
    JS
    ++

I again apologize to the membership.

A few more specific notes here on MU to address the above posts:

1. The contract stated that either party can severe the relationship at any time. DSM does not have to pay back any payments collected. I didn't take this job for the money but to try and give something back to the community. I am 'personally' refunding DORBA's $1000 payment out of principle.

2. @Alex - you are out of line.
    A. We completed numerous sites in WP including more recently, Boy's Life Boys' Life magazine... and certain PepsiCo sites.
    There are numerous platforms however WordPress would work the best for what we were trying to do.
    The rest of the argument is a Chevy vs. Ford or Mac vs. PC argument. There are pros and cons on every platform.

B. Yes, we could have thrown a POS CMS up in days. The site we were developing is much more.

C. Feel free to link me your NYC friends as I have worked with some of the largest agencies in the nation. If they are accomplished I should know their agency. I hold numerous design awards in advertising, marketing, packaging, design and have been published.
    Just a few of my client list include:
    I Love Lucy
    Mattel - Hot Wheels
    Byron Nelson
    Superbowl
    PepsiCo
    Brinker International
    Brinkmann
    Fender Guitar
    …plus many more

I have even taught design classes at UNT, where you attend.

3. @Mike - Yes, you are right on the slipping dates. As stated above we had specific criteria that changed as well as issues with the conversion of 'old' backend pieces not converting to the new. After that was addressed the only big issue ended up being the lack of development staff to finish.

The board was struggling with theses issues as was I to fulfill the contract. Regretfully, I failed.

I can't tell you how much this has affected me, as well as trying to play catch up with other large clients. I am still looking to partner with a few talented developers that can meet their deadline and have the communication skills it takes to keep things moving.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    This guy is pretty big in my books for being so direct. A welcome relief to read so much honesty over the issue.
    I agree wholeheartedly. It's tough to step up and lay it all out like that. Kudos to him.

It will be interesting to see what the board does now...

mtbr member

It will be interesting to see what the board does now...
    Don't hold your breath.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    Don't hold your breath.
    At this point I'm in no hurry. Dallas Trail Conditions is doing a good job of trying to keep the trail conditions up to date (I even made a donation to them via PayPal). And, I have this wonderful community to chat with.

Come what may....

meh
    At this point I'm in no hurry. Dallas Trail Conditions is doing a good job of trying to keep the trail conditions up to date (I even made a donation to them via PayPal). And, I have this wonderful community to chat with.

Come what may....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Updated trail conditions was my primary interest in the Dorba website.
    There still seems to be an issue with trail conditions being updated for many of the trails.
    That really isn't the websites issue though.
    I find it hard to blame the trail stewards for the slow updates. Those people do enough just trying to keep the trails trimmed and open.
    Nelke seems to be a class act. He didn't blame the last programmer for his troubles. Nelke seemed to not only accept responsibility but he is paying back Dorba the $1,000 personally.
    The board are innocent bystanders in all this. Most don't have the expertise in this area so they make decisions based on what they are being told.
    New site.
    Start from scratch. Burn the old modules and all their issues. Chasing old ghosts in the machine is always a loser.
    Dorba may lose all those autopay numbers, but how many new members have been lost since joining isn't as convenient now?
    I don't think the website is a priority for Pam, the current president of Dorba. She did not join the meetup site until it had been up and running for a while. She rarely posted on the old site, same holds true for this meetup version.
    Just get the community a reliable, stable, and accurately updated trails condition site.

mtbr member

Come what may....
    +1

This whole Dorba fiasco made me realize that all I really care about is the trail conditions page.

This can't be good for membership.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    This can't be good for membership.
    That will be worth watching. I really wonder how new memberships and renewals are going compared to the same period in 2011 and 2010.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The meetup website also is a good tool in maintaining ties with people. I've met some new friends there who mountain bike near Grapevine. I know it's amazing with no Dorba site to many of you...

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I would be interested to see some sort of analysis or survey as to why people join and renew with DORBA. It is my impression that if you are not part of the group of "old foggies" or are not racing in the DORBA events, there isn't a place for you. There seems to be a very vocal few that have either been on or are a part of the BOD and if you don't share their opinion, you are wrong.

This isn't anything new though.... every online forum/club that I have been active in IRL turns out to be kind of elitist and have MANY pricks. With or without DORBA, I can get my trail conditions and help take care of my trail... they really aren't adding much to the "casual" non-racer's life except for lots of bickering and drama.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast