mtbr member
    Oct 2012

DFW trails for 9 yr old?

What are the best DFW trails for a 9 yr old? Is there anything at Sansom? Heard that it is pretty hairy there. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Frisco just opened up a new trail that I hear is pretty kid friendly

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtownsooner View Post
    What are the best DFW trails for a 9 yr old? Is there anything at Sansom? Heard that it is pretty hairy there. Thanks.
    Marion Sansom is my home trail and you heard right about it. I wouldn't take a 9 yr old there. Those trails are advanced to expert level trails (IMHO) with some long hard climb's, that will quickly turn a youngster off of riding. Trails consist of mostly loose rock, jutting baby heads and with some hardpack dirt and cactus. If you screw up in a few area's at Sansom, a kid could wind up seriously injured.

Check out Gateway Park in Ft Worth off of Beach and I30 for starters. There's great well established beginner trail there. All hardpak dirt with a few roots here and there. No big climbs and its pretty flowy and lots of fun to do laps on. I take my daughter there when she gets the itch to go ride w/me. GP

There is also RIver Legacy in Arlington, you can bypass all the technical stuff and its pretty well marked. River Legacy also has some great loops such as the EKG loop, FunTown, and Roller Coaster Ridge though again, I wouldn't take a 9 yr old on these loops without them having a decent skill set. River Legacy | Dallas Trails

HTH

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    River Legacy is a good bet, I am going to take my wife out there because I think the trail is "tame" enough for a completely green rider. Stay out of "EKG" (it is clearly marked) and everything else is really pretty easy.

Cedar Hill State Park doesn't have hard stuff, it just has some hills that can be hard to go up.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    LB Houston nature trail is the easiest trail in dfw. Very winding and fast great for beginners.

Funky Town's Finest Mojo
    Mar 2004
    My now 12 year old was about 9 when I first took her to a trail. She tackled River Legacy, LBH and parts of RCP in Garland with no problems. She eventually worked her way up to even tackle large portions of Horseshoe. Unfortunately for dear old dad, boys and volleyball are more fun for junior high girls than mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride4Beer View Post
    My now 12 year old was about 9 when I first took her to a trail. She tackled River Legacy, LBH and parts of RCP in Garland with no problems. She eventually worked her way up to even tackle large portions of Horseshoe. Unfortunately for dear old dad, boys and volleyball are more fun for junior high girls than mountain biking.
    ya my daughter hit 17 and now MTB'in is only a memory for her. It's boys and cheerleading and Oh daddy, I cant show up w/my knees all skinned up from crashing my bike. |c:

They grow up too fast.

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks a whole bunch for the insight. Really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    What part of DFW are you in?

I second the vote for LB Houston. I took my 8yo son there a couple of times (we took all of the 'bypass' routes) and he had a blast.

Also, as mentioned, the new trail in Frisco should be very beginner friendly. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet even though I'm nearby...
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The trail in Frisco would be extremely kid friendly once the dirt gets packed down a little more. There are no roots,no rocks, no hills, and no pesky trees to run into.