mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Dallas living, trail kudos and trail access

What's up yall - just wanted to drop in and give some props on your local trails. I grew up in Dallas and promptly moved to CA for school and have been bouncing around the west awhile now but have had stints in CO, CA, OH and, for the bast 13 years, Utah. (And no, I'm not LDS.) Come back once or twice a year to visit family, and all we do is eat, drink and shop - pretty much what you do in Dallas, right?

Finally had a connection for a mountain bike to ride - an old Spec. Rockhopper with v-brakes, an ancient Manitou fork with the little rubber fork covers, and a mile-long 110?mm stem. Hahaha. But beggars can't be choosers and I was stoked to finally get to try out some Dallas-area trails on a bike. So I got all joey'd out and rode in skate shoes, jeans and a t-shirt, no gloves, nothing. Kinda rad to go back to pure dumb simplicity on a mtb.

Rallied down to Cedar Hills today and did about 5 miles of various trails. Had an absolute blast! Everything is nicely bermed up, super flowy, proper turn radii for riding, just had a great time and wanted to say nice job on your trail building. I might have to ship down a proper bike from Utah next time.

As an aside, if we were to ever move back, is there anywhere nice you can live close enough to ride to trails without being too far outside Dallas? I currently live about 100 yards from a huge trail system and love being able to pedal from the house to trails - something I'd like to keep if we ever move. Thanks in advance -

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There are more than a dozen trails in the area with more than 5 miles of dirt. Take a look at this map. You'll that there is a "cluster" of trails in the south, a touch north of where you rode. There are fewer towards the west/Fort Worth and Richardson/Plano area. Big Cedar is one of the crowd favorites. Some of the dedicated riders have ridden from Big Cedar to Boulder to Oak Cliff. People often don't consider the Oak Cliff and Boulder area to be "nice" but the would consider the area around Big Cedar to be "nice."

Depending on where you live/work/study, you could pick a trail. If you want to live 100 yards from a trail, ride a few and pick your favorite. I live by the intersection of 183/114/12 specifically to have good trail access. LB Houston is 10 minutes away. The southern cluster is 20 minutes away. Northshore trails are 30 minutes.

oootard
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    As an aside, if we were to ever move back, is there anywhere nice you can live close enough to ride to trails without being too far outside Dallas? I currently live about 100 yards from a huge trail system and love being able to pedal from the house to trails - something I'd like to keep if we ever move. Thanks in advance -
    Don't do it J. You will regret it. I know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Umm. Oak Cliff is full-on ghetto. But that's cool.

drb- yeah yeah yeah. I get less cold tolerant every day.

mtbr member
    Flower Mound or Grapevine. Centrally located, close to North Shore, but still in N. Dallas area, close to airport etc.

Big Cedar is nice but depending upon what you do for a job, living on the south side of the metroplex can be an obstacle.
    Mind your own religion.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    South siders tend to be less douchey compared to north folks. Folks north of 635 are usually sacred to associate with those of us from the south.

Just messing with you PDF.

You would actually be hard pressed to live far away from a nice trail around DFW. It is more important to live closer to work because depending on the highways you have to take to get there, you could kill off all of your ride time.
    Fat guys need bikes too.