Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

central TX trails - beginner-friendly

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  MD_TX 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about trying some trails in the Austin/San Antonio area and I've heard about Barton Creek and Willow Creek. Seems those are more intermediate trails? I don't have a problem with some elevation but I am not at the point of taking 12+ inch ledges or anything like that. If it's a steep climb or descent I'll pause and think a second whether it's something I feel I can handle and if not, I'll walk it. Better to live and ride another day, than be out for 6-8 weeks. I ride with friends who are better than me so they always give me pointers and stuff on how to get over things and progress slowly.

For those of you familiar with houston, I'm ok at Anthills, so anything about that level would be great. Cypresswood is definitely something I can do. Probably nothing much more difficult than Anthills though. I want to at least spend more time ON my bike than carrying it on my shoulder. haha

A friend lives in San Antonio so any trails within 20-30mins would be great as well. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
We ride Purgatory Creek about 3 times a week, mostly at night. (Beginner friendly.)
We also rode Madrone Trail, Canyon Lake after 4 weeks of riding. There are places at Madrone that i can ride down, just not up.:lol: I will be riding Purgatory Creek Sat with my wife and son (8 years old ), then madrone next sat with my wife and 2 younger cousins.

#5 ·
Slaughter Creek is the ONLY trail that overall I would term super friendly to beginners. Even it has its spots though if one is not concentrating. I would also say a lot of Big Bend state park and Lajitas stuff could be termed easy BUT due its remoteness and preparation factors would not recommend it for a rote beginner.

However a beginner will never ride unless he rides---so... Walnut Creek, Rocky Hill and Dana Peak all come to mind as trails with flow and over all low technical challenge.

Sorry---Warda and Muleshoe has too much difficult terrain overall to be classified beginner--IMO. Still trails such as these and Cameron Park/Pacebend/Reimers/Flat Rock/BLORA etc can be enjoyed by a beginner---but be prepared to be schooled and don't ride too far above your level.

#6 ·
Most have already hit up Austin and the immediate area, but as far as San Antonio, the choices are:
- McAllister Park
- Gov't Canyon State Natural Area (Front Country)

The Greenway trails (Leon Creek and Salado Creek can become beginner-unfriendly depending on the route you choose, as can O.P. Schnable Park.

You can check out the SA trails here, or the previously mentioned Austin trails here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.