BBW
    mtbr member

New question here. Can you carry a Knife in Texas for protection?

How is the law about that? is it OK to carry a foldind and concealed 3 to 3,5 inch blade knife just for protection on the mountains? or could I go to Jail?
    What about a tactical/ extensible baton????

Should I worry about that or not?

In Venezuela I don't go out without my knife, feel more secure on night rides on the woods (Thieves)

Thanks again!!!!

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    How is the law about that? is it OK to carry a foldind and concealed 3 to 3,5 inch blade knife just for protection on the mountains? or could I go to Jail?

In Venezuela I don't go out without my knife, feel more secure on night rides on the woods (Thieves)

Thanks again!!!!
    Who brings a knife to a gun fight?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

BBW
    mtbr member

Good job! interesting

Looks like you like the toys that I like....

I used to carry my Glock 19 in a Fanny Pack (Galco or Eagle Industries) at night rides
    Currently I use a Spyderco Police model (like the Emerson CQ7-fast open-)

What are those spare ammo for? the 3 or 4 around

I will go as a student, in other way I'm not going to be able to buy a Weapon other than a expandable baton or to carry my knife
    Are those legally OK???

I heard that in Texas everybody is armed????? or it's very common

PD: nice Camel, equiped with the esential as it should be. You know where you leave but you don't know where or when you come jajajaja. A tru MTB has everything that could use in the woods!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i was told by a cop during an incident that if i declare its for self defense it can be a felony (hunting knife with a six inch blade) however if its for use as a "tool" ie cutting rope removing splinter so on its ok. and they let me go after i clarified it was a tool type knife. i guess its all a matter of perspective and if the cop likes you or not.

mtbr member
    I would advise agianst carrying a knife for protection due to the fact that in Texas, you can legaly carry a handgun. And many do.
    http://www.myspace.com/sidicarus

mtbr member
    Get your concealed carry permit, and dont look back.

In exile
    uhm - I know 2 people with gun permits. We don't ride horses to work here either.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you don't feel safe riding in Texas without a weapon, move to a better location in Texas. I have never heard of someone being assulated while riding a bike, someplace that you really should be riding a bike. If you are planning on riding the alleys of some dark city, then don't.

Or do as everyone else, get a permit to caryy the gun. If someone jumps you and you have to dig out a knife or gun, forget it. Give up everything you have and try to safe your life, not the bike.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    What? No flame thrower or grenades? What kind of Texan are you anyway? Don't tell me you buy that salsa from New York City too....

In exile
    Why do people keep saying "like everyone else"??? It's not the old west here. We don't ALL carry guns.

mtbr member
    You do NOT need to worry about your safety from 2 or 4 legged predators riding any trail in Texas

now.. riding at night through parts of any big city would not be advisable

knife as you described is legal...

I don't drive or ride around Austin armed, I don't at all feel the need...
    I also live in a decent part of the city..

now... if I travel to say, Houston there's a 1911 in ready status...

mtbr member
    May 2006

Thanks again!!!!
    Most folders are perfectly legal.

Chapter 46.01 of the Texas Penal Code defines an illegal knife as:

(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stilletto, and poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear

Additionally, Chapter 46.05 lists a switchblade knife as a Prohibited Weapon (unless possessed "solely as an antique or curio").

An expandable baton is considered a club and is a no-no to carry.

Read up: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statu...0.htm#46.01.00

Myself, I prefer a CHL in the wallet and a Glock 19 carried cross-draw in a belly band.
    Last edited by Bulldawg; 06-24-2006 at 04:12 PM.

mtbr member
    I say just take you bike and a multi tool......

BBW
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... OK something like this?

jajaja I will carry my multitool and maybe something like this.....

Glock 19 with firing selector system (1300 RPM), expandable stock and 33 rounds magazine..... enough??????

Wheel building addict.
    Mar 2005
    wow, didn't know the G19 was capable of all that. I know a G18 is, and is pretty hard to come by in the US. That's why a lot of the full auto Glock vid you see have guys that don't show their face, or are covered up. Putting a stock on a pistol gets you in some trouble here, too.

Thanks to bulldawg for posting the code on here. Most policemen couldn't tell you what legal length is, and would instantly refer you to the "If it's wider than you palm" rule for legality. 5.5" blade length. Anything longer becomes an illegal knife. The thing is, how do you determine blade length? Are we counting from the end of the handle, or the sharpened part? If it's from the end of the handle, a lot of borderline knives become illegal. If you count the sharpened part only, I guess you could have a pretty long "blade" that was only sharpened 1 or 2 inches. I guess this is why a lot of knife makers don't make knives in the 5-5 1/2" length. My 5" Vaquero go discontinued and all Cold Steel has are 4" and then 6" vaqueros. A serrated blade could also be technically illegal if you were to actually measure total cutting length, since serrations add more surface area.

I ride downtown houston all the time, night time, rush hour, after-hours, haven't really had any problems. I'm really more frightened about riding out in the 'burbs, to tell you the truth. I was in the Tour de Houston, riding in the bike lane, and got right hooked by a minivan that started to turn into a parking lot as I was passing by. stayed on the bike, used the carbon knuckles to get the driver's attention. Burb drivers are so clueless sometimes... they'll pass me up on the road, point over as if to motion me to a sidewalk (where there isn't one) all in time for them to pass up a yellow "bicycle" sign.

Sorry, about that.... Let's just say you can carry a knife as long as it meets with the above mentioned criteria, and say it's a tool, okay? After all, the knife, the gun, the club are only tools. You are the weapon.

live! ride!
    Jul 2006
    legal blade to carry in texas i no bigger than 4 " if this helps at all, i personally carry a glock 45 however i have a texas concealed firearms license

live! ride!
    Jul 2006
    legal blade to carry in texas i no bigger than 3 " if this helps at all, i personally carry a glock 45 however i have a texas concealed firearms license

live! ride!
    Jul 2006
    legal blade correction 3" not 4"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhrse_man
    legal blade correction 3" not 4"
    I quoted the Texas Penal Code.

BBW
    mtbr member

looks like mixed reviews

hummmm
    I'm going to be a student, so the gun licence is out of the picture....
    Maybe I should spit and scream if something happen jejejeje
    Well, I'll see how dangerous it look though I don't think it's going to seem tougher than Venezuela

I'll just ride fast and don't stop

Thanks

Wheel building addict.
    Mar 2005
    Time for a refresher course for the CHL. This is info you should know when you carry concealed. Follow the Penal code. I don't know where this 3"-4" legal length is coming from. Sources?

TNC
    noMAD man

Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg
    I quoted the Texas Penal Code.

This post and your post above are correct. And the length is regardless of whether the blade is fixed or folds. A switchblade knife is illegal in Texas regardless of length. Don't know if everyone is aware of this, but the state penal code can be found online in various forms.

With the advent of larger Camelbacks for carrying DH/FR armor, I like to carry my folding assault rifle on the shinguard straps. That way when I run into Bike Mojo or one of the other posters with short range peashooters, I can unfold my instrument of death and spray lead from a safe distance. Well, OK...I don't really carry this thing, but it made a good story.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    hummmm
    I'm going to be a student, so the gun licence is out of the picture....
    Maybe I should spit and scream if something happen jejejeje
    Well, I'll see how dangerous it look though I don't think it's going to seem tougher than Venezuela

I'll just ride fast and don't stop

Thanks
    I've lived in Texas for over 30+ years and have never had an encounter where I needed a knife for my protection.

Wheel building addict.
    Mar 2005
    yeah, neither did my friend, Chrisalee Aparece, from Sugar Land. Just last month she and her friend were carjacked from her friend's driveway. They found their bodies a week later. They weren't in the inner city either. Sometimes even when you give up the goods, they still want your life.

On a lighter note, I have been attacked by multiple assailants from DHL and I've had to tactically use my knife to open packages.

sierra blanco
    I carry a knife when I ride...and the only time I have used it is to kill rattlesnakes...

BBW
    mtbr member

Good job! That's why I love to post here!!!!!

Sometimes you laugh so loud.... sometimes you just feel like crying

Everybody is sincere, although some are just joking and other are for real

Thanks guys!!!

I enjoy the info comments and the fun

TNC
    noMAD man

sierra...you're a bad dude.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra blanco
    I carry a knife when I ride...and the only time I have used it is to kill rattlesnakes...
    If I see you out on the trail killing rattlers with your pocket knife, I'm folding up my dinky little assault rifle and heading the other way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    When carrying a knife you have to remember that some cities have ordinances dealing with the subject. I believe that here in San Antonio it is illegal to carry a locking blade knife unless you are at work or on your way to or from. I guess thats aimed at the gangbangers. I'm self-employed so I am always working.

sierra blanco

Smile

Are you laughing at me? Well, I do not actually kill the rattlesnakes with my knife...I kill them with rocks and then cut off their head and rattler (head first, of course) with my trusty knife. It helps if you corner them in a cactus while you are pounding at them with rocks. When you are really tired from riding, this is a good break. I am a jokester, but this really is true. I even named my first bike "the rattler" And no, I do not ride a horse and wear cowboy boots.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by x5rdman
    If you don't feel safe riding in Texas without a weapon, move to a better location in Texas. I have never heard of someone being assulated while riding a bike, someplace that you really should be riding a bike. If you are planning on riding the alleys of some dark city, then don't.

Or do as everyone else, get a permit to caryy the gun. If someone jumps you and you have to dig out a knife or gun, forget it. Give up everything you have and try to safe your life, not the bike.
    Well, there are certain trails along the Rio Grande that I wouldn't advise riding at night, unless
    you're part of a fair sized group.

Be prepared to encounter representatives of various branches of law enforcement who are
    staked out in the brush looking for smugglers.

Certainly whatever you carry needs to be easily/quickly accessible for it to be effective.
    Some options I didn't see listed here are;
    mace/pepper spray (you can claim it's dog repellent)
    a u-lock and some chain worn over the shoulder can also be used as a
    defensive weapon
    hand-held electric stun devices (I'm assuming these are legal, but suspect
    some cities may have ordinances pre-empting them)

BBW
    mtbr member

well

I think that the pepper spray is worthless; and while I think I can defend myself I would love to carry a folder (concealed, easily accesible and effective)
    When you trail ride alone in the dark it's always a good feeling to have something extra
    The other night a guy came out of the bushes, out of nowhere and scared the hell out of me (he was all covered, couldn't see his face. It was cold though)

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im moving to texas in about six months from the bayarea maybe i should increase my fire power before i do so and really drop my weight substantialy if i have to cary fire power like you guys do.what about a fan knife is this considered switchblade?

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    I don't know where these people are night riding in Texas that they feel they need to carry an arsenal with them to feel safe. I've ridden at night on about all the trails in the Austin area and have never come across even an unsavory looking dog.

Yes, I know the argument about having it when you need it.

D

Livin' the Dream
    I have thought about this before, especially at some of the shadier trails around Dallas. For the sake of practicality and comfort, anything you carry would have to be in your camelback. If you're anything like me you take about 30 seconds to unbuckle all the straps, take it off, unzip, and get something out of it. Plus, I figure if someone is going to mess with you, they're going to hide behind a tree and "clothes line" you. I just decided I'd ride and let live.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

amar la vida de dos niner
    Criminy! You guys are scaring me!

Hopefully none of you suffer from "trail rage"!!!

Let your bike be your expression of machismo and leave the weapons at home! I guarantee persons of both genders will be more impressed by your bike-handling skills than by what weapon you are carrying.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have been the victim of a "clothes line" which resulted in the loss of my bike and a few kicks to the ribs. (this didn't happen in Texas, but when I lived in Pittsburgh)

I don't think having a weapon would help in that case, I was down and getting kicked before I could have reacted. Luckily they just wanted the bike and I didn't really get hurt.

Suprisingly enough the cops found somone (else) on the bike and got it back for me with no damage.

Just here for the ride =)
    why not just carry around a paintball gun (not from texas but im sure those are legal) make sure you have it ready to fire right after you turn off the safety
    GMC Denali Road Bike
    GMC Topkick Dual Suspension Mountain Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaTactics
    just ice it and tell the ladies you got in a fight with a biker gang while helping a nun cross the street.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnieos
    why not just carry around a paintball gun (not from texas but im sure those are legal) make sure you have it ready to fire right after you turn off the safety
    Just don't even think about pointing it at anybody who has a real gun.

I always carry a folding knife because if I leave home without it I usually need to cut something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i am moving to san antonio next year... but if everyone is packing i might just stay here in my safe cornfield.

TNC
    noMAD man

You're right, scorpionwoman!

Quote Originally Posted by scorpionwoman
    Criminy! You guys are scaring me!

Hopefully none of you suffer from "trail rage"!!!

Let your bike be your expression of machismo and leave the weapons at home! I guarantee persons of both genders will be more impressed by your bike-handling skills than by what weapon you are carrying.
    I've seen the error of my ways. I no longer carry a weapon in my Camelback or on my person. Now I let my bike be my expression of machismo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    "BBW"

HAHAAHHHHHHHHHHHMUUUWWWWAAAAAAAA....HAHAHAAAAA!

God bless the interwebs!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnieos
    First off, it's illegal to carry a paintball gun ready to fire in Texas unless you are at a field, shooting someone in the wrong enviroment is considered assault with a deadly weapon.

Second, what the hell are you thinking? A paintball gun for self defense? I've played paintball for almost 6 years and I can safely say that they would make an awful self defense weapon. They're huge compared to handguns, knives, mace/pepper spray and collapsible batons. The ones that come in the size of a large handgun are so unreliable it's laughable. If you did manage to carry one with you, shooting someone with paintballs is only going to anger them. I ref in addition to playing, so I'm familiar with being shot when not expecting it or having adrenaline up, and it just makes you angry.

To the OP, where areyou going to be in Texas? As with all major cities, there are going to be bad sections. Houston is probably the worst in Texas, but it's also the largest and got the lion's share of Katrina refugees. I've rode in Dallas, Waco, Austin, Canyon, and numerous smaller towns. Waco was the worst area to be riding in (Cameron park) but I wouldnt hesitate to ride there again unarmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owler
    Do not dispute right of way with a tree.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I've seen the error of my ways. I no longer carry a weapon in my Camelback or on my person. Now I let my bike be my expression of machismo.
    ahh, TNC, if you're going to mount that thing on your handlebar, you need to trade the santa cruz for a 'CANNONdale'

TNC
    noMAD man
    Hey TOG...I see you mentioned trails around the Cloudcroft area. Did you ever ride A-Trail? If so what did you think about it?

I would disagree with you on the Cannondale recommendation. Santa Cruz still has the right bike for gun toting Texans...the Bullit...LOL! In fact, I have two of them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Seriously people....1/2 can of OC into someone's face is a hell of a lot less hassle than a shooting/stabbing, and a lot more entertaining too! Hell, after that they might ask to be shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    Seriously people....1/2 can of OC into someone's face is a hell of a lot less hassle than a shooting/stabbing, and a lot more entertaining too! Hell, after that they might ask to be shot.

Orange Crush?

Oral Contraceptives?

OxyContin?

Ohhhh, Capsaicin!
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well,
    I am in San Antonio, I carry a 1911, but not when riding. Do you know how heavy those things are?? What is the use of buying lightweight components and then packing heat?
    Seriously, there have been times when on the trail at night, by myself, that the off-trail noises really get you spooked. Would feel a little better with a weapon. Not that the cougars would give me time to pull it out though.
    BTW, is that a Marlin Camp 9 on the handlebars??

-Robert

P.S. The cops will definately ruin your day for carrying an asp/baton/club.
    And I have never understood why I can have a permit to carry a handgun, but I will still get in trouble for having a big knife.

Explosive
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert5rg
    And I have never understood why I can have a permit to carry a handgun, but I will still get in trouble for having a big knife.
    Thats the truth. I can shoot you 11 times but I had better not cut your leg

Here is my carry of choose but I have yet to carry while riding:

I am disgusted with the way old people are depicted on television; we are not all vibrant fun loving sex maniacs. Many of us are bitter, resentful individuals who remember the good old days, when entertainment was mild and inoffensive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

you have knives in your picture stupid!!

Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    you take knives too

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This is my KNIFE. G-day mate

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asbury
    I have thought about this before, especially at some of the shadier trails around Dallas. For the sake of practicality and comfort, anything you carry would have to be in your camelback. If you're anything like me you take about 30 seconds to unbuckle all the straps, take it off, unzip, and get something out of it. Plus, I figure if someone is going to mess with you, they're going to hide behind a tree and "clothes line" you. I just decided I'd ride and let live.
    If you have to unbuckle anything or take you camelback off your carrying wrong.
    Do you carry a cell phone? If so how do you carry it? Same with a gun,
    use a holster on one of the straps, say opposite your cell phone. There
    are a bunch of holsters that 'blend' in with your otherstuff, no one ever knows
    but you.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by BikinAggie
    Waco was the worst area to be riding in (Cameron park)
    thats a load of crap. the crime rate in cameron park virtually non-existent.

the park is constantly being patrolled by police as well as park rangers in vehicles and on foot, bicycle, and horseback.
    Last edited by monogod; 03-25-2007 at 10:42 AM.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    thats a load of crap. the crime rate in cameron park virtually non-existent.

the park is constantly being patrolled by police as well as park rangers in vehicles and on foot, bicycle, and horseback.
    I said that of the areas I have ridden in, Cameron Park was in the worst area. I also said I see no need to carry any form of weapon there. These police and park rangers you speak of must've been taking the day off when I was there, as I didn't see a single one in six hours. Or are they just so good that they were there and I didn't see them?

Please quote all the relevant parts of my post or don't quote at all, thank you.

meh... whatever
    I said that of the areas I have ridden in, Cameron Park was in the worst area. I also said I see no need to carry any form of weapon there. These police and park rangers you speak of must've been taking the day off when I was there, as I didn't see a single one in six hours. Or are they just so good that they were there and I didn't see them?

Please quote all the relevant parts of my post or don't quote at all, thank you.
    i did quote the relevant part of the post that i was responding to.

so perhaps i misunderstood or missed more relevant information, but from what i gathered after reading the ENTIRE post before i responded was that you were saying that out of all the areas that you mentioned, that cameron park was in the worst area (speaking crime wise) out of all that you mentioned. am i on track? did i miss some relevant parts of the post?

my response that cameron park is very safe, and not in a bad area stemmed from the fact that the crime rate is virtually non-existent in the park. so im unsure why you said it. and since the crime rate in cameron park is lower than the crime rate in the greenbelt, im unsure why you said it. since cameron park is not in a bad part of town, but actually in a rather affluent part of town, im not sure why you said it.

perhaps you could expound since i seem to have completely misunderstood you?

the cops and rangers roll unmarked as well as marked. chances are very high you saw a couple and didnt even know it.

mtbr member
    Based on the area I drove through and the people I saw, I stand by my statement. Perhaps I should've been more detailed in what I was comparing it to. Out of the places in Texas I've had the opportunity to ride, most have been far enough away from residential areas that you have to drive (or bike) to get to them. Cameron park was in easy walking distance from the less desirable part of Waco. I'm not saying it's a crime ridden area, even though from my understanding being west of 35 isn't a good thing, I'm just saying it's the only place where I could actually see encountering criminal types.

meh... whatever
    Based on the area I drove through and the people I saw, I stand by my statement. Perhaps I should've been more detailed in what I was comparing it to. Out of the places in Texas I've had the opportunity to ride, most have been far enough away from residential areas that you have to drive (or bike) to get to them. Cameron park was in easy walking distance from the less desirable part of Waco. I'm not saying it's a crime ridden area, even though from my understanding being west of 35 isn't a good thing, I'm just saying it's the only place where I could actually see encountering criminal types.
    im not trying to get into a fussing match with you, im simply clarifying facts so that you (and others) will be able to form INFORMED opinions of the park. i only did so because i felt you portrayed the park and the potential for danger/crime inaccurately.

of course the POSSIBILITY of crime exists everywhere, as does the possibility of encountering "criminal types". however, the PROBABILITY of being a victim of crime (or encountering "criminal types") in cameron park is quite another and quite slim. much less so, in fact, than riding the greenbelt. (i lived in austin for over 10 years)

so now your opinion and the conflicting facts are stated so that you and others can make an informed decision about the park.

never the less, youre free to stand by your current OPINION if you choose. my intent was simply the adding of the facts.

ill be healed up in a month or so, so the next time youre riding cameron let me know and ill give you the $2 tour. its better with a local...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

heh?

so im confused.
    1. can i have a knife that is fixed at 5.5 inches?
    2.are switchblades completely illegal?
    3.whats the definition of a stiletto?
    4.can i cary a bowie knife in my backpack, just going around?

mtbr member
    "you know what happens to people who carry knifes dont you?...... they get shot."

btw a stiletto is the knife you push a botton and the knife shoots straight out and people always get stabed with those.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Actually a stiletto is a short knife/dagger designed to stab. They have been around for a couple of centuries.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Icarus
    I would advise agianst carrying a knife for protection due to the fact that in Texas, you can legaly carry a handgun. And many do.
    Take it easy there hoss...this isn't exactly the wild west!

You can obtain a concealed handgun license however Texas has many places where you cannot carry the weapon regardless. My best suggestion....you have a bike...you can ride away and find a cop ASAP. There's no shame in performing a tactical unassing of the area if you find yourself in a situation that is beyond your ability to control. You may actually be surprised how many cops are actually out there on the trail with you. We like to ride too, you know. Also, ride in packs. There's safety in numbers. When riding solo, you could become a target of opportunity.

In order to obtain a CHL license, you will have to attend a CHL class. Many of these issues are addressed in the class.

Be safe out there.

Texas Concealed Handgun Information:
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis.../chlsindex.htm

Fall Down...Go Boom
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wumpus
    I've lived in Texas for over 30+ years and have never had an encounter where I needed a knife for my protection.
    I've never had an incident where I needed my helmet....so I guess it's safe to stop wearing one, right?

Guns are like seat-belts, they are there to help you for the situations you didn't expect to happen. If I KNEW I was going to have an encounter where I would need one, I'd just go the other way. But you never know.

Explosive
    Quote Originally Posted by kafromet

Guns are like seat-belts, they are there to help you for the situations you didn't expect to happen. If I KNEW I was going to have an encounter where I would need one, I'd just go the other way. But you never know.
    On that note:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding on lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb disputing the vote."
    -Benjamin Franklin
    I am disgusted with the way old people are depicted on television; we are not all vibrant fun loving sex maniacs. Many of us are bitter, resentful individuals who remember the good old days, when entertainment was mild and inoffensive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i carry 2 guns and a 6pack with me at all times ** flexes hulk hogan style **

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes
    You do NOT need to worry about your safety from 2 or 4 legged predators riding any trail in Texas.
    yeah? I recently saw a mountain lion on a ride... luckily that cat was a ways away from me at the time... still...

Tossin the salad.
    I do have a CHGL, but never thought about taking it around the trails. However, I do have a 4" Kershaw blade which I do carry.

Just wondering, how many of you been "Bike Jacked" or attacked on the trails out here?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    I would definitely have to agree with Mrwhlr. I went through OC training and from my experience OC spray will drop a man every time. I've only seen one participate who was able to fight back for about 15 seconds before he was down. The higher the Scoville the more painful it is. If you watch videos on Youtube you might note how they are able to fight back for longer. During my training we weren't told to close our eyes and hold our breath. I got a full shot with my eyes open and while I was inhaling.. Took me out. Most likely your attacker won't close his eyes and hold his breath fast enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Wow, 2+ years and going! This thread has got legs! [nasty, hairy legs I'm sure - ]

Anyhow, I've been biking in TX for 10+ years and haven't found a need for a weapon yet. That include's riding in Dallas, Houston, Austin, Waco, Fredericksburg, Wichita Falls, La Grange, Smithville, Warda, Comfort, Llano, etc.

Of course it helps to think about where and when you'll be riding. Obviously, there're places one doesn't need to go.

If you need a weapon to think you're any safer than you would be without one, you're delusional.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    After the attacker is down with mace, you can sell his kidney's in Mexico for a hefty profit.

Newbie here
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    i did quote the relevant part of the post that i was responding to.

so perhaps i misunderstood or missed more relevant information, but from what i gathered after reading the ENTIRE post before i responded was that you were saying that out of all the areas that you mentioned, that cameron park was in the worst area (speaking crime wise) out of all that you mentioned. am i on track? did i miss some relevant parts of the post?

my response that cameron park is very safe, and not in a bad area stemmed from the fact that the crime rate is virtually non-existent in the park. so im unsure why you said it. and since the crime rate in cameron park is lower than the crime rate in the greenbelt, im unsure why you said it. since cameron park is not in a bad part of town, but actually in a rather affluent part of town, im not sure why you said it.

perhaps you could expound since i seem to have completely misunderstood you?

the cops and rangers roll unmarked as well as marked. chances are very high you saw a couple and didnt even know it.
    Hey guys, this is my first post here. There are dozens and dozen of off-duty officers who I know who use that trail every week, if not daily. I used to go there all the time, now that I just bought a new cannondale, I'll be there more often. I try to be armed whenever I'm out in public, rather be out there and need it and not have it, than not have it, and need it.

Crime happens, and does happen in Cameron Park. It's as simple as if you out looking for trouble there, then you'll find it. If not, you should be good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen705
    Hey guys, this is my first post here. There are dozens and dozen of off-duty officers who I know who use that trail every week, if not daily. I used to go there all the time, now that I just bought a new cannondale, I'll be there more often. I try to be armed whenever I'm out in public, rather be out there and need it and not have it, than not have it, and need it.

Crime happens, and does happen in Cameron Park. It's as simple as if you out looking for trouble there, then you'll find it. If not, you should be good.
    My arms are permanently attached, and I always find myself needing them - very handy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Glock 19, you either have one or need one!
    Subscribe to these: 1. "easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission"
    2. "better to have and not need than need and not have"
    3. "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Besides, if you don't pull it out and play with it nobody is the wiser, and if it turns out that you really needed it, who gives a turd about the legalities.....really!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HardRockCop
    however Texas has many places where you cannot carry the weapon regardless.
    I get so tired of this propaganda. There are very few places you can't carry in Texas.

Off the top of my head. Inside the premises of a school, in a court house, in
    a bar that derives more than 51% of its revenue from alcohol sales. That is basically
    it.

I know of very, very, very few places that display an effective 30.06 sign. One could
    count the number of them in the whole state on their fingers. And at that carrying
    inside somewhere that did effectively display the sign will only get you a misdemeanor
    if you refuse to leave upon being notified.

PS: If you have poor reading comprehension skills you might think you
    can't carry in a church or hospital.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel
    PS: If you have poor reading comprehension skills you might think you can't carry in a church or hospital.
    His point is a valid one. Read all the minutiae.
    Whether your support handgun carry or not, you should know the laws.

You can easily look them up online here: http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes....000046.00.htm

It talks about where you can carry a handgun and where you can't.
    What type of knife is legal and what type isn't.
    Etc.

Educate yourselves and make an informed decision.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasBerenson
    so im confused.
    1. can i have a knife that is fixed at 5.5 inches?
    2.are switchblades completely illegal?
    3.whats the definition of a stiletto?
    4.can i cary a bowie knife in my backpack, just going around?
    1. Yes.
    2. Illegal to carry. You can have one as a "curio" in your home.
    3. A dagger is double edged. A stiletto or poniard is a narrow dagger, sometimes with 3 edges in a triangular cross-section. They are all illegal to carry.
    4. No. A "Bowie" knife has a sharpened swedge (the clipped portion of the backside of the blade) and is illegal to carry. They are generally larger than 5.5" anyway.

As long as the knife is single-edged and 5.5" or less you should be legal whether it folds and/or locks or not.

Pepper spray would be much more effective than a knife. Knives can kill and maim pretty easily, but the wounds are relatively painless under the influence of adrenaline and can take 5-10 minutes to kill by bleeding out, during which time you probably have an extremely angry individual to deal with.

It's far too easy to bleed someone to death with a knife, but it's rare to get an instant stop, making them worse than useless for self-defense outside of intimidation, IMHO. Handguns are much more intimidating (especially in the hands of women and skinny little cyclists) and they can defuse a situation with nobody hurt 9 times out of 10. If you can't or won't get a CHL, pepper spray is your best bet. Big dogs are good, too.

Ride fun
    Oct 2008
    Now this turns into a Gun Show like in sunland park at el paso, better i would carry a smoke grenade, colt 38 super, and sniper( probably Remington 700 you now*deers*) pasted in the side of my bike's frame.
    You build it, you change it, freeriding, whatever you want.

\m/ \m/
    I didn't read every post, but did anyone bring up Taser?

13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Tasers work great, but you only get one shot. Back it up with handgun or pepper spray.

Members who have read this thread: 0