Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBW
    mtbr member

New question here. Can you carry a Knife in Texas for protection?

How is the law about that? is it OK to carry a foldind and concealed 3 to 3,5 inch blade knife just for protection on the mountains? or could I go to Jail?
    What about a tactical/ extensible baton????

Should I worry about that or not?

In Venezuela I don't go out without my knife, feel more secure on night rides on the woods (Thieves)

Thanks again!!!!

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    How is the law about that? is it OK to carry a foldind and concealed 3 to 3,5 inch blade knife just for protection on the mountains? or could I go to Jail?

In Venezuela I don't go out without my knife, feel more secure on night rides on the woods (Thieves)

Thanks again!!!!
    Who brings a knife to a gun fight?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

BBW
    mtbr member

Good job! interesting

Looks like you like the toys that I like....

I used to carry my Glock 19 in a Fanny Pack (Galco or Eagle Industries) at night rides
    Currently I use a Spyderco Police model (like the Emerson CQ7-fast open-)

What are those spare ammo for? the 3 or 4 around

I will go as a student, in other way I'm not going to be able to buy a Weapon other than a expandable baton or to carry my knife
    Are those legally OK???

I heard that in Texas everybody is armed????? or it's very common

PD: nice Camel, equiped with the esential as it should be. You know where you leave but you don't know where or when you come jajajaja. A tru MTB has everything that could use in the woods!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i was told by a cop during an incident that if i declare its for self defense it can be a felony (hunting knife with a six inch blade) however if its for use as a "tool" ie cutting rope removing splinter so on its ok. and they let me go after i clarified it was a tool type knife. i guess its all a matter of perspective and if the cop likes you or not.

mtbr member
    I would advise agianst carrying a knife for protection due to the fact that in Texas, you can legaly carry a handgun. And many do.
    http://www.myspace.com/sidicarus

mtbr member
    Get your concealed carry permit, and dont look back.

In exile
    uhm - I know 2 people with gun permits. We don't ride horses to work here either.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you don't feel safe riding in Texas without a weapon, move to a better location in Texas. I have never heard of someone being assulated while riding a bike, someplace that you really should be riding a bike. If you are planning on riding the alleys of some dark city, then don't.

Or do as everyone else, get a permit to caryy the gun. If someone jumps you and you have to dig out a knife or gun, forget it. Give up everything you have and try to safe your life, not the bike.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    What? No flame thrower or grenades? What kind of Texan are you anyway? Don't tell me you buy that salsa from New York City too....

In exile
    Why do people keep saying "like everyone else"??? It's not the old west here. We don't ALL carry guns.

mtbr member
    You do NOT need to worry about your safety from 2 or 4 legged predators riding any trail in Texas

now.. riding at night through parts of any big city would not be advisable

knife as you described is legal...

I don't drive or ride around Austin armed, I don't at all feel the need...
    I also live in a decent part of the city..

now... if I travel to say, Houston there's a 1911 in ready status...

mtbr member
    May 2006

Thanks again!!!!
    Most folders are perfectly legal.

Chapter 46.01 of the Texas Penal Code defines an illegal knife as:

(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stilletto, and poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear

Additionally, Chapter 46.05 lists a switchblade knife as a Prohibited Weapon (unless possessed "solely as an antique or curio").

An expandable baton is considered a club and is a no-no to carry.

Read up: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statu...0.htm#46.01.00

Myself, I prefer a CHL in the wallet and a Glock 19 carried cross-draw in a belly band.
    Last edited by Bulldawg; 06-24-2006 at 05:12 PM.

mtbr member
    I say just take you bike and a multi tool......

BBW
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... OK something like this?

jajaja I will carry my multitool and maybe something like this.....

Glock 19 with firing selector system (1300 RPM), expandable stock and 33 rounds magazine..... enough??????

Wheel building addict.
    Mar 2005
    wow, didn't know the G19 was capable of all that. I know a G18 is, and is pretty hard to come by in the US. That's why a lot of the full auto Glock vid you see have guys that don't show their face, or are covered up. Putting a stock on a pistol gets you in some trouble here, too.

Thanks to bulldawg for posting the code on here. Most policemen couldn't tell you what legal length is, and would instantly refer you to the "If it's wider than you palm" rule for legality. 5.5" blade length. Anything longer becomes an illegal knife. The thing is, how do you determine blade length? Are we counting from the end of the handle, or the sharpened part? If it's from the end of the handle, a lot of borderline knives become illegal. If you count the sharpened part only, I guess you could have a pretty long "blade" that was only sharpened 1 or 2 inches. I guess this is why a lot of knife makers don't make knives in the 5-5 1/2" length. My 5" Vaquero go discontinued and all Cold Steel has are 4" and then 6" vaqueros. A serrated blade could also be technically illegal if you were to actually measure total cutting length, since serrations add more surface area.

I ride downtown houston all the time, night time, rush hour, after-hours, haven't really had any problems. I'm really more frightened about riding out in the 'burbs, to tell you the truth. I was in the Tour de Houston, riding in the bike lane, and got right hooked by a minivan that started to turn into a parking lot as I was passing by. stayed on the bike, used the carbon knuckles to get the driver's attention. Burb drivers are so clueless sometimes... they'll pass me up on the road, point over as if to motion me to a sidewalk (where there isn't one) all in time for them to pass up a yellow "bicycle" sign.

Sorry, about that.... Let's just say you can carry a knife as long as it meets with the above mentioned criteria, and say it's a tool, okay? After all, the knife, the gun, the club are only tools. You are the weapon.

live! ride!
    Jul 2006
    legal blade to carry in texas i no bigger than 4 " if this helps at all, i personally carry a glock 45 however i have a texas concealed firearms license

live! ride!
    Jul 2006
    legal blade to carry in texas i no bigger than 3 " if this helps at all, i personally carry a glock 45 however i have a texas concealed firearms license

live! ride!
    Jul 2006
    legal blade correction 3" not 4"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhrse_man
    legal blade correction 3" not 4"
    I quoted the Texas Penal Code.

BBW
    mtbr member

looks like mixed reviews

hummmm
    I'm going to be a student, so the gun licence is out of the picture....
    Maybe I should spit and scream if something happen jejejeje
    Well, I'll see how dangerous it look though I don't think it's going to seem tougher than Venezuela

I'll just ride fast and don't stop

Thanks

Wheel building addict.
    Mar 2005
    Time for a refresher course for the CHL. This is info you should know when you carry concealed. Follow the Penal code. I don't know where this 3"-4" legal length is coming from. Sources?

TNC
    noMAD man

Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg
    I quoted the Texas Penal Code.

This post and your post above are correct. And the length is regardless of whether the blade is fixed or folds. A switchblade knife is illegal in Texas regardless of length. Don't know if everyone is aware of this, but the state penal code can be found online in various forms.

With the advent of larger Camelbacks for carrying DH/FR armor, I like to carry my folding assault rifle on the shinguard straps. That way when I run into Bike Mojo or one of the other posters with short range peashooters, I can unfold my instrument of death and spray lead from a safe distance. Well, OK...I don't really carry this thing, but it made a good story.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    hummmm
    I'm going to be a student, so the gun licence is out of the picture....
    Maybe I should spit and scream if something happen jejejeje
    Well, I'll see how dangerous it look though I don't think it's going to seem tougher than Venezuela

I'll just ride fast and don't stop

Thanks
    I've lived in Texas for over 30+ years and have never had an encounter where I needed a knife for my protection.

Wheel building addict.
    Mar 2005
    yeah, neither did my friend, Chrisalee Aparece, from Sugar Land. Just last month she and her friend were carjacked from her friend's driveway. They found their bodies a week later. They weren't in the inner city either. Sometimes even when you give up the goods, they still want your life.

On a lighter note, I have been attacked by multiple assailants from DHL and I've had to tactically use my knife to open packages.

sierra blanco
    I carry a knife when I ride...and the only time I have used it is to kill rattlesnakes...

BBW
    mtbr member

Good job! That's why I love to post here!!!!!

Sometimes you laugh so loud.... sometimes you just feel like crying

Everybody is sincere, although some are just joking and other are for real

Thanks guys!!!

I enjoy the info comments and the fun

TNC
    noMAD man

sierra...you're a bad dude.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra blanco
    I carry a knife when I ride...and the only time I have used it is to kill rattlesnakes...
    If I see you out on the trail killing rattlers with your pocket knife, I'm folding up my dinky little assault rifle and heading the other way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    When carrying a knife you have to remember that some cities have ordinances dealing with the subject. I believe that here in San Antonio it is illegal to carry a locking blade knife unless you are at work or on your way to or from. I guess thats aimed at the gangbangers. I'm self-employed so I am always working.

sierra blanco

Smile

Are you laughing at me? Well, I do not actually kill the rattlesnakes with my knife...I kill them with rocks and then cut off their head and rattler (head first, of course) with my trusty knife. It helps if you corner them in a cactus while you are pounding at them with rocks. When you are really tired from riding, this is a good break. I am a jokester, but this really is true. I even named my first bike "the rattler" And no, I do not ride a horse and wear cowboy boots.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by x5rdman
    If you don't feel safe riding in Texas without a weapon, move to a better location in Texas. I have never heard of someone being assulated while riding a bike, someplace that you really should be riding a bike. If you are planning on riding the alleys of some dark city, then don't.

Or do as everyone else, get a permit to caryy the gun. If someone jumps you and you have to dig out a knife or gun, forget it. Give up everything you have and try to safe your life, not the bike.
    Well, there are certain trails along the Rio Grande that I wouldn't advise riding at night, unless
    you're part of a fair sized group.

Be prepared to encounter representatives of various branches of law enforcement who are
    staked out in the brush looking for smugglers.

Certainly whatever you carry needs to be easily/quickly accessible for it to be effective.
    Some options I didn't see listed here are;
    mace/pepper spray (you can claim it's dog repellent)
    a u-lock and some chain worn over the shoulder can also be used as a
    defensive weapon
    hand-held electric stun devices (I'm assuming these are legal, but suspect
    some cities may have ordinances pre-empting them)

BBW
    mtbr member

well

I think that the pepper spray is worthless; and while I think I can defend myself I would love to carry a folder (concealed, easily accesible and effective)
    When you trail ride alone in the dark it's always a good feeling to have something extra
    The other night a guy came out of the bushes, out of nowhere and scared the hell out of me (he was all covered, couldn't see his face. It was cold though)

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im moving to texas in about six months from the bayarea maybe i should increase my fire power before i do so and really drop my weight substantialy if i have to cary fire power like you guys do.what about a fan knife is this considered switchblade?

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    I don't know where these people are night riding in Texas that they feel they need to carry an arsenal with them to feel safe. I've ridden at night on about all the trails in the Austin area and have never come across even an unsavory looking dog.

Yes, I know the argument about having it when you need it.

D

Livin' the Dream
    I have thought about this before, especially at some of the shadier trails around Dallas. For the sake of practicality and comfort, anything you carry would have to be in your camelback. If you're anything like me you take about 30 seconds to unbuckle all the straps, take it off, unzip, and get something out of it. Plus, I figure if someone is going to mess with you, they're going to hide behind a tree and "clothes line" you. I just decided I'd ride and let live.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

amar la vida de dos niner
    Criminy! You guys are scaring me!

Hopefully none of you suffer from "trail rage"!!!

Let your bike be your expression of machismo and leave the weapons at home! I guarantee persons of both genders will be more impressed by your bike-handling skills than by what weapon you are carrying.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have been the victim of a "clothes line" which resulted in the loss of my bike and a few kicks to the ribs. (this didn't happen in Texas, but when I lived in Pittsburgh)

I don't think having a weapon would help in that case, I was down and getting kicked before I could have reacted. Luckily they just wanted the bike and I didn't really get hurt.

Suprisingly enough the cops found somone (else) on the bike and got it back for me with no damage.

Just here for the ride =)
    why not just carry around a paintball gun (not from texas but im sure those are legal) make sure you have it ready to fire right after you turn off the safety
    GMC Denali Road Bike
    GMC Topkick Dual Suspension Mountain Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaTactics
    just ice it and tell the ladies you got in a fight with a biker gang while helping a nun cross the street.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnieos
    why not just carry around a paintball gun (not from texas but im sure those are legal) make sure you have it ready to fire right after you turn off the safety
    Just don't even think about pointing it at anybody who has a real gun.

I always carry a folding knife because if I leave home without it I usually need to cut something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i am moving to san antonio next year... but if everyone is packing i might just stay here in my safe cornfield.

TNC
    noMAD man

You're right, scorpionwoman!

Quote Originally Posted by scorpionwoman
    Criminy! You guys are scaring me!

Hopefully none of you suffer from "trail rage"!!!

Let your bike be your expression of machismo and leave the weapons at home! I guarantee persons of both genders will be more impressed by your bike-handling skills than by what weapon you are carrying.
    I've seen the error of my ways. I no longer carry a weapon in my Camelback or on my person. Now I let my bike be my expression of machismo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    "BBW"

HAHAAHHHHHHHHHHHMUUUWWWWAAAAAAAA....HAHAHAAAAA!

God bless the interwebs!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnieos
    First off, it's illegal to carry a paintball gun ready to fire in Texas unless you are at a field, shooting someone in the wrong enviroment is considered assault with a deadly weapon.

Second, what the hell are you thinking? A paintball gun for self defense? I've played paintball for almost 6 years and I can safely say that they would make an awful self defense weapon. They're huge compared to handguns, knives, mace/pepper spray and collapsible batons. The ones that come in the size of a large handgun are so unreliable it's laughable. If you did manage to carry one with you, shooting someone with paintballs is only going to anger them. I ref in addition to playing, so I'm familiar with being shot when not expecting it or having adrenaline up, and it just makes you angry.

To the OP, where areyou going to be in Texas? As with all major cities, there are going to be bad sections. Houston is probably the worst in Texas, but it's also the largest and got the lion's share of Katrina refugees. I've rode in Dallas, Waco, Austin, Canyon, and numerous smaller towns. Waco was the worst area to be riding in (Cameron park) but I wouldnt hesitate to ride there again unarmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owler
    Do not dispute right of way with a tree.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I've seen the error of my ways. I no longer carry a weapon in my Camelback or on my person. Now I let my bike be my expression of machismo.
    ahh, TNC, if you're going to mount that thing on your handlebar, you need to trade the santa cruz for a 'CANNONdale'

TNC
    noMAD man
    Hey TOG...I see you mentioned trails around the Cloudcroft area. Did you ever ride A-Trail? If so what did you think about it?

I would disagree with you on the Cannondale recommendation. Santa Cruz still has the right bike for gun toting Texans...the Bullit...LOL! In fact, I have two of them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Seriously people....1/2 can of OC into someone's face is a hell of a lot less hassle than a shooting/stabbing, and a lot more entertaining too! Hell, after that they might ask to be shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    Seriously people....1/2 can of OC into someone's face is a hell of a lot less hassle than a shooting/stabbing, and a lot more entertaining too! Hell, after that they might ask to be shot.

Orange Crush?

Oral Contraceptives?

OxyContin?

Ohhhh, Capsaicin!
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well,
    I am in San Antonio, I carry a 1911, but not when riding. Do you know how heavy those things are?? What is the use of buying lightweight components and then packing heat?
    Seriously, there have been times when on the trail at night, by myself, that the off-trail noises really get you spooked. Would feel a little better with a weapon. Not that the cougars would give me time to pull it out though.
    BTW, is that a Marlin Camp 9 on the handlebars??

-Robert

P.S. The cops will definately ruin your day for carrying an asp/baton/club.
    And I have never understood why I can have a permit to carry a handgun, but I will still get in trouble for having a big knife.

Explosive
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert5rg
    And I have never understood why I can have a permit to carry a handgun, but I will still get in trouble for having a big knife.
    Thats the truth. I can shoot you 11 times but I had better not cut your leg

Here is my carry of choose but I have yet to carry while riding:

I am disgusted with the way old people are depicted on television; we are not all vibrant fun loving sex maniacs. Many of us are bitter, resentful individuals who remember the good old days, when entertainment was mild and inoffensive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

you have knives in your picture stupid!!

Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    you take knives too

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This is my KNIFE. G-day mate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast