Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    BBW
    mtbr member

New question here. Can you carry a Knife in Texas for protection?

How is the law about that? is it OK to carry a foldind and concealed 3 to 3,5 inch blade knife just for protection on the mountains? or could I go to Jail?
    What about a tactical/ extensible baton????

Should I worry about that or not?

In Venezuela I don't go out without my knife, feel more secure on night rides on the woods (Thieves)

Thanks again!!!!

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    How is the law about that? is it OK to carry a foldind and concealed 3 to 3,5 inch blade knife just for protection on the mountains? or could I go to Jail?

In Venezuela I don't go out without my knife, feel more secure on night rides on the woods (Thieves)

Thanks again!!!!
    Who brings a knife to a gun fight?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

BBW
    mtbr member

Good job! interesting

Looks like you like the toys that I like....

I used to carry my Glock 19 in a Fanny Pack (Galco or Eagle Industries) at night rides
    Currently I use a Spyderco Police model (like the Emerson CQ7-fast open-)

What are those spare ammo for? the 3 or 4 around

I will go as a student, in other way I'm not going to be able to buy a Weapon other than a expandable baton or to carry my knife
    Are those legally OK???

I heard that in Texas everybody is armed????? or it's very common

PD: nice Camel, equiped with the esential as it should be. You know where you leave but you don't know where or when you come jajajaja. A tru MTB has everything that could use in the woods!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i was told by a cop during an incident that if i declare its for self defense it can be a felony (hunting knife with a six inch blade) however if its for use as a "tool" ie cutting rope removing splinter so on its ok. and they let me go after i clarified it was a tool type knife. i guess its all a matter of perspective and if the cop likes you or not.

mtbr member
    I would advise agianst carrying a knife for protection due to the fact that in Texas, you can legaly carry a handgun. And many do.
    http://www.myspace.com/sidicarus

mtbr member
    Get your concealed carry permit, and dont look back.

In exile
    uhm - I know 2 people with gun permits. We don't ride horses to work here either.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you don't feel safe riding in Texas without a weapon, move to a better location in Texas. I have never heard of someone being assulated while riding a bike, someplace that you really should be riding a bike. If you are planning on riding the alleys of some dark city, then don't.

Or do as everyone else, get a permit to caryy the gun. If someone jumps you and you have to dig out a knife or gun, forget it. Give up everything you have and try to safe your life, not the bike.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    Who brings a knife to a gun fight?
    What? No flame thrower or grenades? What kind of Texan are you anyway? Don't tell me you buy that salsa from New York City too....

In exile
    Why do people keep saying "like everyone else"??? It's not the old west here. We don't ALL carry guns.

mtbr member
    You do NOT need to worry about your safety from 2 or 4 legged predators riding any trail in Texas

now.. riding at night through parts of any big city would not be advisable

knife as you described is legal...

I don't drive or ride around Austin armed, I don't at all feel the need...
    I also live in a decent part of the city..

now... if I travel to say, Houston there's a 1911 in ready status...

mtbr member
    May 2006

Thanks again!!!!
    Most folders are perfectly legal.

Chapter 46.01 of the Texas Penal Code defines an illegal knife as:

(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stilletto, and poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear

Additionally, Chapter 46.05 lists a switchblade knife as a Prohibited Weapon (unless possessed "solely as an antique or curio").

An expandable baton is considered a club and is a no-no to carry.

Read up: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statu...0.htm#46.01.00

Myself, I prefer a CHL in the wallet and a Glock 19 carried cross-draw in a belly band.
    Last edited by Bulldawg; 06-24-2006 at 04:12 PM.

mtbr member
    I say just take you bike and a multi tool......

BBW
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... OK something like this?

jajaja I will carry my multitool and maybe something like this.....

Glock 19 with firing selector system (1300 RPM), expandable stock and 33 rounds magazine..... enough??????

Wheel building addict.
    Mar 2005
    wow, didn't know the G19 was capable of all that. I know a G18 is, and is pretty hard to come by in the US. That's why a lot of the full auto Glock vid you see have guys that don't show their face, or are covered up. Putting a stock on a pistol gets you in some trouble here, too.

Thanks to bulldawg for posting the code on here. Most policemen couldn't tell you what legal length is, and would instantly refer you to the "If it's wider than you palm" rule for legality. 5.5" blade length. Anything longer becomes an illegal knife. The thing is, how do you determine blade length? Are we counting from the end of the handle, or the sharpened part? If it's from the end of the handle, a lot of borderline knives become illegal. If you count the sharpened part only, I guess you could have a pretty long "blade" that was only sharpened 1 or 2 inches. I guess this is why a lot of knife makers don't make knives in the 5-5 1/2" length. My 5" Vaquero go discontinued and all Cold Steel has are 4" and then 6" vaqueros. A serrated blade could also be technically illegal if you were to actually measure total cutting length, since serrations add more surface area.

I ride downtown houston all the time, night time, rush hour, after-hours, haven't really had any problems. I'm really more frightened about riding out in the 'burbs, to tell you the truth. I was in the Tour de Houston, riding in the bike lane, and got right hooked by a minivan that started to turn into a parking lot as I was passing by. stayed on the bike, used the carbon knuckles to get the driver's attention. Burb drivers are so clueless sometimes... they'll pass me up on the road, point over as if to motion me to a sidewalk (where there isn't one) all in time for them to pass up a yellow "bicycle" sign.

Sorry, about that.... Let's just say you can carry a knife as long as it meets with the above mentioned criteria, and say it's a tool, okay? After all, the knife, the gun, the club are only tools. You are the weapon.

live! ride!
    Jul 2006
    legal blade to carry in texas i no bigger than 4 " if this helps at all, i personally carry a glock 45 however i have a texas concealed firearms license

live! ride!
    Jul 2006
    legal blade to carry in texas i no bigger than 3 " if this helps at all, i personally carry a glock 45 however i have a texas concealed firearms license

live! ride!
    Jul 2006
    legal blade correction 3" not 4"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhrse_man
    legal blade correction 3" not 4"
    I quoted the Texas Penal Code.

BBW
    mtbr member

looks like mixed reviews

hummmm
    I'm going to be a student, so the gun licence is out of the picture....
    Maybe I should spit and scream if something happen jejejeje
    Well, I'll see how dangerous it look though I don't think it's going to seem tougher than Venezuela

I'll just ride fast and don't stop

Thanks

Wheel building addict.
    Mar 2005
    Time for a refresher course for the CHL. This is info you should know when you carry concealed. Follow the Penal code. I don't know where this 3"-4" legal length is coming from. Sources?

TNC
    noMAD man

Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg
    I quoted the Texas Penal Code.

This post and your post above are correct. And the length is regardless of whether the blade is fixed or folds. A switchblade knife is illegal in Texas regardless of length. Don't know if everyone is aware of this, but the state penal code can be found online in various forms.

With the advent of larger Camelbacks for carrying DH/FR armor, I like to carry my folding assault rifle on the shinguard straps. That way when I run into Bike Mojo or one of the other posters with short range peashooters, I can unfold my instrument of death and spray lead from a safe distance. Well, OK...I don't really carry this thing, but it made a good story.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    hummmm
    I'm going to be a student, so the gun licence is out of the picture....
    Maybe I should spit and scream if something happen jejejeje
    Well, I'll see how dangerous it look though I don't think it's going to seem tougher than Venezuela

I'll just ride fast and don't stop

Thanks
    I've lived in Texas for over 30+ years and have never had an encounter where I needed a knife for my protection.

Wheel building addict.
    Mar 2005
    yeah, neither did my friend, Chrisalee Aparece, from Sugar Land. Just last month she and her friend were carjacked from her friend's driveway. They found their bodies a week later. They weren't in the inner city either. Sometimes even when you give up the goods, they still want your life.

On a lighter note, I have been attacked by multiple assailants from DHL and I've had to tactically use my knife to open packages.

sierra blanco
    I carry a knife when I ride...and the only time I have used it is to kill rattlesnakes...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast