mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Camino205 Gravel Grinder - Palestine October 2014

We have a sweet course and excellent start/finish facilities for our inaugural gravel grinder event. I'm expecting fields to fill up pretty fast in both the 100 and 205 categories. I have been spending a ton of time putting together an amazing course that is going to be challenging, scenic, and heaps of fun. We have fantastic support from the City of Palestine and local transportation and police officials. Lots of stuff for the family to do in the area as well - the Texas State Railroad will be running and it should be a gas (steam powered).

Website here: Camino205 - A Gravel Grinder in the beautiful piney woods of NE Texas October 4 2014 Rain or Shine! - Home
    register on Active.com

thanks, Dave
    Last edited by drmoreau; 07-20-2014 at 03:19 PM. Reason: To clean up the link

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Interesting event. I added the event to the Texbiker.net event calendar. Great looking website. Is there a route map?
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks very much - I'm a self taught web guy. I don't like clutter on a page so just tried to make it clean with all the important info. I am hunting for sponsors so the pages may change as I add them. I have a provisional route map that I created using Map My Ride and a bunch of paper maps. We are in the process of driving/riding the whole course and taking GPS way points in the field. You can get GPS points from Google Earth but I don't always trust them - I have found errors with some satellite maps so I always want boots on the ground to verify.

Essentially the 205 ride starts in Palestine and heads south, skirting west of the town of Crockett and then turns and runs east to the Davy Crockett National Forest. The route then heads north on forest gravel roads for many miles, before heading west again to return to the start. The 100 miler will have an smaller version of the full grinder.

Thanks for listing us on your site - all help to get the word out is good!

Dave

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks interesting - might have to do this one!

Minor correction on The Ride page - starting at 8 PM might not be a good idea
    "The 205 en masse start is at 6 a.m. sharp, the 100 at 8 p.m. and the 25 riders leave anytime after 8 pm. All rides are unsupported out on the road."

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Oops! That would have everyone getting back well past last call at the local. I'll fix thanks.

Bigger news is that we have landed American Classic wheels as our title sponsor. Schweet!

Dave

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I have a map up now on the first page of the website. We have two parks set up for family/friends to rendezvous with their riders. One is at Groveton and the other at Mission Tejas SP. We don't want support vehicles on the course - no one likes to eat dust.

We have brought on Palestine La Quinta Inn as our host hotel. The hotel is less than a mile from the start/finish, and they are offering a nice discount for riders who call and mention the Camino205. They are holding a large block of rooms for us which is very cool. More infor on our website.