mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Cameron Park (Waco) Tire Recommendations?

I've been riding Cameron Park 3-4 times a week for a few months now since moving up in the fall for work. My back stock tire on my Rockhopper was getting a little bald, plus I was doing a lot of slipping going up some of those hills, and then I literally cut it on some rocks the other day. Looking at it today, I noticed I had 5 or 6 more gashes in them. Needless to say, I'm shopping for a new tire. I was looking at Kenda Nevegals but wasn't sure if they're maybe TOO knobby for the hardpack stuff. The main thing is I need a better climbing tire and better traction on the rear too so I'm not locking up on the steep downhill sections. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    No tire will keep you from locking up the rear on a steep downhill. It's a weight distribution thing, not a tread pattern thing. That's what the front brake is for. Seriously, use more front brake. Skidding damages the trail, does little to slow you down and even less gain control. Try using around 70/30 front/rear when it comes to braking power.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I thought small blocks worked good when I've ridden there. Use the front brake to avoid skidding.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Cameron Park (Waco) Tire Recommendations?

What others said. For the tire replacement, I used a Crossmark rear (Ignitor front) on my SS with no issues when preriding/racing earlier this year.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Maxxis Ardent is a good rear tire for Cameron Park. I'm using a Michelin Wild Grip'r on the rear now & it does well biting in on the climbs. I like a 2.3 width tire for the front & 2.25 in the rear. I haven't ridden anything with small knobbies but it seems like they'd loose grip when the trails turn to powder (they're starting to now).

The couple of bikes I've seen with Nevegals, the tire looks HUGE. If I were to run one, I'd stick it on the front with a smaller tire on the rear.

Are the gashes in your tires on the sidewalls? The Ardent EXO is really tough so that problem would be solved. I haven't experienced any gashes on the knobbies from the rocks in Cameron Park. I did slice open a sidewall once on a sort of bargin mtb tire.

mtbr member
    I can't vouch for the Ardent being a good rear, but may try it one of these days. Have run an Ardent 2.4 up front for the past year and either a Maxxis Icon 2.2 or Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 in back. The Maxxis tires seem to be longer-wearing than most others I've used in the past. Both the Icon and the RR have/had small knobs and tended to occasionally break loose when powering up steep climbs, but I overcame that by getting better at quickly shifting my body weight more to the rear. Still happens sometimes though. I do like the smaller knobbed/lighter rears because they are faster-rolling.

Have run Nevegals before (tubeless with sealant), but won't again due to persistent sealant weepage and premature failure of the casing. I believe they're not recommended or warranted for use with sealant anyway, so YMMV if you actually follow their instructions .

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've been working on my braking a lot and it does help to a certain extent. I was a lot more topheavy than I am now if you know what I mean, so I wasn't using my fronts as much because I was a little afraid of going over the bears. The main problem is the climbing really. Once those trails dry out, which doesn't take long at all, they get real dusty and lose.

Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    Are the gashes in your tires on the sidewalls? The Ardent EXO is really tough so that problem would be solved. I haven't experienced any gashes on the knobbies from the rocks in Cameron Park. I did slice open a sidewall once on a sort of bargin mtb tire.
    I still have the stock Specialized tires so they're not the best. Surprisingly my sidewalls have stayed fine considering how thin they are, but the other day I damn near ripped off a whole knob climbing Sidewinder from a stump or something. Cut through my tube guide and tube. All the cuts I noticed were at the bases of the knobs. I think it's just weak material for that kind of riding. I had one of those Wild Grip'r somewhere but I never put it on because I wasn't sure if I wanted to go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerowrench View Post
    I've been working on my braking a lot and it does help to a certain extent. I was a lot more topheavy than I am now if you know what I mean, so I wasn't using my fronts as much because I was a little afraid of going over the bears. The main problem is the climbing really. Once those trails dry out, which doesn't take long at all, they get real dusty and lose.
    Congrats on your weight loss!

If we don't get some tropical moisture this summer, the dusty & loose conditions may be here for a while.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang 21 View Post
    Congrats on your weight loss!

If we don't get some tropical moisture this summer, the dusty & loose conditions may be here for a while.
    Thanks! 85+ lbs in 2 years. I got pretty lazy after I got out of the army. I bought this RockHopper to help out with that. I hadn't been riding in 9 years or so. I was amazed how much it had changed since my '98 RockHopper. It's great to find a passion for riding again after almost a decade.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I ran the Wild Grip'r ghetto tubeless but punctured it after 5 rides so been running it with a thorn-resistant tube. I'm thinking of trying the 2.35 reinforced vers. later on the front.

Has anyone ridden Woodway Park since the new trail was cut? Nice, fun addition!
    Last edited by bitewerks; 07-05-2013 at 02:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I may hit it up sometime this coming week. I have yet to go down there since Cameron Park is closer to work and home, but it would be a nice break from all the climbing at CP. I figure I should at least give it a whirl. I noticed the other day that my fork is a little loose in the headset so I'm going to have to address that soon though. Hopefully just needs an adjustment.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Woodway is a nice change of pace except for the humidity. The new trail is best if running tubeless as there are a lot of thorns. I'm not sure if the trail is finished, people are riding it. It's also very loose with some off-camber sections.