mtbr member

Buescher State Park Trail Construction Day

Mountain bike trails are being added to Buescher state park in Smithville. We started part of the new section last weekend. The next official work day is scheduled (see below). If we are able to get some additional work days scheduled between now and then, i will add a post in this forum. Hope to see some of you guys out there. It is going to be a great start to a new mtb trail system.

I would like to announce a trail workday coming up on 3/23/13 at Buescher State Park from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. The work will be a continuation of blazing new trail in the large scale trail upgrade that is going on at the park to make it a multi-use trail system to include mountain biking. The work is considered moderate and will involve bending, swinging, carrying and using hand tool, and possibly walking long distances. This workday is headed up by Vick Hines of the Central Texas Trail Tamers (www.trailtamers.org), along with help from Friends of the Lost Pines State Parks (http://friendsoflostpines.org/ ) and volunteers, such as yourselves.

Directions: Enter Buescher State Park through the main entrance and stop at the headquarters building. The headquarters opens at 8:00am on Saturday mornings. Inside you will receive a volunteer permit for your vehicle and directions to the Main Trailhead parking area. This is where we will meet for orientation before moving to the worksite.

Wear: closed-toed shoes, long pants.
    Bring: work gloves, water, lunch.
    All Volunteers: Please fill out and bring with you the attached volunteer waiver form. CONTACT CULLEN BY EMAIL OR PHONE AND HE CAN EMAIL THE FORMS TO YOUBring it with you to the work day.

FOR YOUTH ONLY: If any members of your group are under the age of 18, please fill out and bring with you the attached parental release form. Remember, we are only accepting ages 14 and up for this activity.

After signing up, if you are unable to make it, or your group size has changed, please let me know.

To sign up or if you have any questions, please contact me at Cullen.sartor@tpwd.state.tx.us or give me a call at 512-332-6683. If you are interested in working on maintenance of existing trails, on your own time, please contact me to set that up, as well.

Feel free to share with anyone you think might be interested. Hope to see you out there!

Cullen Sartor
    Site Manager
    Buescher State Park
    100 Park Road 1E
    Smithville, TX 78957
    Office: 512-237-2241
    Fax: 512-237-2580
    Cell: 512-332-6683

Here is a pic from the February 16. 2013 of the Work Crew

And here are some pics of the work (rough-in of the trail).

New parking area on the park road between Buescher and Bastrop.

Trailhead Entry

Random pics of the roughed in trail

Rest of the pics are here: http://s5.beta.photobucket.com/user/...89989774625984

mtbr member
    If working during the week is better for you, the park has scheduled a mid week work day. They have some folks that can work during the week so they scheduled a day. If you are interested, contact Cullen to get signed up.

We have added a mid week trail work day on 2/27/13 (9am start time) and are still having one on 3/23/13 at Buescher State Park from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. The work will be a continuation of blazing new trail in the large scale trail upgrade that is going on at the park to make it a multi-use trail system to include mountain biking. The work is considered moderate and will involve bending, swinging, carrying and using hand tool, and possibly walking long distances. This workday is headed up by Vick Hines of the Central Texas Trail Tamers (www.trailtamers.org), along with help from Friends of the Lost Pines State Parks (Friends of the Lost Pines State Parks ), Paul Uhl and volunteers, such as yourselves.

Directions: Enter Buescher State Park through the main entrance and stop at the headquarters building. You will receive a volunteer permit for your vehicle and directions to the Main Trailhead parking area. This is where we will meet for orientation before moving to the worksite.

Wear: closed-toed shoes, long pants.

Bring: work gloves, water, lunch.

All Volunteers: Please fill out and bring with you the attached volunteer waiver form. Bring it with you to the work day.

FOR YOUTH ONLY: If any members of your group are under the age of 18, please fill out and bring with you the attached parental release form. Remember, we are only accepting ages 14 and up for this activity.

After signing up, if you are unable to make it, or your group size has changed, please let me know.

To sign up or if you have any questions, please contact me at Cullen.sartor@tpwd.state.tx.us or give me a call at 512-332-6683. When signing up, please indicate which day you would like to sign up for. If you are interested in working on maintenance of existing trails, on your own time, please contact me to set that up, as well.

Feel free to share with anyone you think might be interested. Hope to see you out there!

Thanks,

Cullen Sartor
    Site Manager
    Buescher State Park
    100 Park Road 1E
    Smithville, TX 78957
    Office: 512-237-2241
    Fax: 512-237-2580
    Cell: 512-332-6683

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Great news...My wife and I visited there ( I think...there are 2 state parks )a couple of years ago on a trip to ride Rocky Hill Ranch. It's a 2.5 hour drive from home but hope to visit again and check this out. Thanks