mtbr member

Boulder Park (Dallas)

I was up from Houston for business and took the opportunity to ride at Boulder Park Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon. Those are really well made, designed, and fun trails. I especially enjoyed the Cash Extension with the fast dips and climbs. Being a flat-lander some of the climbs on the red trails hurt a bit, but I made it up all of them except a real rooty, steep, off camber climb on C. Huge kudos to DORBA for building and maintaining those trails. A few questions.

I know that's not the best part of town. Have there been any issues with vehicle break-ins? I parked at the little pullout just across from the trail entrance and had no issue, but I was wondering because I frequently have my laptop in the car with me.

Are the trails one-way, whether officially or not? Based on the signage it would appear that is the case, and that's the way I rode it, but was just wondering. By the way, the trail map looks like a mess of spaghetti and I wasn't sure if I would be able to find my way around, but the signage is good and the route is logical and easy to follow.

Thanks again to everyone who had/has a hand in the trails there. I will definitely be back.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

meh
    im not aware of any break ins, but im sure it has happened, its not the best part of town, but its really not that bad and you should feel pretty safe during the day and keeping valuables out of sight...Oak Cliff Nature Preserve on the other hand, which is close by, is in a pretty sketchy part of town, and hasnt had many issues with riders vehicles either (there have been some problems out there in the past that has been mitigated by closing the secluded parking area)
    during the day, most parking areas are pretty safe at the trails

all the Dorba looped trails are one way, except for a couple out and back situations, if you ride backwards, people are generally pretty nice about letting you know, its not a big deal and happens to locals at some of the more entangled trails

mtbr member
    Thanks clew

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DaggerK1 View Post
    I was up from Houston for business and took the opportunity to ride at Boulder Park Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon. Those are really well made, designed, and fun trails. I especially enjoyed the Cash Extension with the fast dips and climbs. Being a flat-lander some of the climbs on the red trails hurt a bit, but I made it up all of them except a real rooty, steep, off camber climb on C. Huge kudos to DORBA for building and maintaining those trails. A few questions.

I know that's not the best part of town. Have there been any issues with vehicle break-ins? I parked at the little pullout just across from the trail entrance and had no issue, but I was wondering because I frequently have my laptop in the car with me.

Are the trails one-way, whether officially or not? Based on the signage it would appear that is the case, and that's the way I rode it, but was just wondering. By the way, the trail map looks like a mess of spaghetti and I wasn't sure if I would be able to find my way around, but the signage is good and the route is logical and easy to follow.

Thanks again to everyone who had/has a hand in the trails there. I will definitely be back.
    If you enjoyed Boulder also check out Big Cedar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
    If you enjoyed Boulder also check out Big Cedar.
    If you check out Big Cedar bring lots of water and an extra set of legs. :-) The White Ranger Trail is good, just pace yourself because the back-half is climbing. Really good trail, though. DORBA does a great job.

I am looking forward to Boulder and Oak Cliff. Haven't ridden those yet. Thanks for the post!

mtbr member
    I'll definitely check out Big Cedar next time I'm up there. I've heard it's real good but haven't ridden it yet. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am new to riding and live near downtown. I try to hit up either OCNP or Boulder after work. They are some of my favorite trails in the area. Northshore is fun but there's something about the South trails that I enjoy more. I did Big Cedar on July 4th... I won't be doing Big Cedar again for a while. That place destroyed me. I was not expecting those two big climbs on Ranger.

What are people's thoughts on OCNP since they recently reversed the trail direction?

I'm Lazy.
    I have been riding River Legacy, Northshore, and Cedar Hill for a couple of years now..........well I decided to try Boulder Park one day on August 4th and was gone from my vehicle for one hour and got my SUV broken into and had my wallet and all of my bike tools stolen.

It was a nice trail, but the one hour I go there and I'm robbed? No thanks!
    - 2013 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    - Octane One Zircus
    - Soon To Be Fatbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
    I am new to riding and live near downtown. I try to hit up either OCNP or Boulder after work. They are some of my favorite trails in the area. Northshore is fun but there's something about the South trails that I enjoy more. I did Big Cedar on July 4th... I won't be doing Big Cedar again for a while. That place destroyed me. I was not expecting those two big climbs on Ranger.

What are people's thoughts on OCNP since they recently reversed the trail direction?
    Re OCNP since the direction change, assuming you ride all the loops, it makes it a little bit easier as all the finishing climbs on Loops 5 & 6 are now effectively beginning climbs. Still a challenge though in a good way.

Also re Boulder, a new and bigger parking lot on the trail side of the road is going in right now. May or may not impact the "theft potential" but it sure will encourage more visitors. With the increased traffic, hopefully, that will discourage some of the break ins. Very fun trail as well (do combine Loops A, B, C, Cash Extensions and D at least). Not hugely fond of E at the moment due to all the asphalt rubble it has.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Changes are a coming for OCNP. Hopefully the improvements will add some security to the parking situation.

Quote Originally Posted by M2RIDER
    The Texas Land Conservancy (TLC), who owns the Oak Cliff Nature Preserve (OCNP) is constructing a 20 space, gravel parking lot to serve the property and the DORBA trails. The proposed parking lot will be located adjacent to Pierce Street and the intersection to the apartments to the east. Ultimately, the improvements will feature some enhanced landscaping, tree pruning as well as 4 rally points between Pierce and the parking lot to serve as places to hang out pre and post ride.

The TLC, DORBA and the contractor want everyone to know that there will be little or no impact on the existing trails. Once the project is complete the parking lot and the landscaping improvements should prove to be bonus when riding OCNP.

Thanks!

M2

More info at DORBA: Dallas Off-Road Bicycle Association • View topic - OCNP Entrance renovation project
    But to answer the original topic... I have observed evidence of break-ins at both Boulder and OCNP.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bspate View Post
    I have been riding River Legacy, Northshore, and Cedar Hill for a couple of years now..........well I decided to try Boulder Park one day on August 4th and was gone from my vehicle for one hour and got my SUV broken into and had my wallet and all of my bike tools stolen.

Sorry to hear about your car but that can happen at any trail. Been riding boulder for over 10yrs with not one issue. Even before it was popular and nobody rode it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bspate View Post

I have had my car broken into twice and they stole my stereo both times but that was years ago. I haven't had any issues the past couple of years. A lot of times, I park up the street by the Bank of America ATM and ride down to the trail.