mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Bluebonnet trails

Are there any good trails for bluebonnets and mountain bike within a few hour drive from San Antonio ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was in Stonewall, TX over the weekend for the LBJ100. Bluebonnets were out but not in huge quantities. I did see many along RR1323.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by texbiker View Post
    I was in Stonewall, TX over the weekend for the LBJ100. Bluebonnets were out but not in huge quantities. I did see many along RR1323.
    Where is RR1323?

I remember years ago going to a private road that was open during TX flower bloom. However, I don't remember that place. A lot of bikes but IMO that place was better to drive and enjoy vs ride.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I'd say to head out to Bandera, TX. If you want to be a little more remote then keep going to Utopia TX. Utopia is one of my favorite places to ride. Very low traffic, people are courteous and there's a great cafe to eat at after the ride.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Bluebonnet trails

Reveille Peak Ranch in Burnet Texas holds a bike bluebonnet type event each spring.

Info on their website: rprtexas.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There were some in Cleburne state park last week. Took pictures on my cell phone but can't get them into my computer to upload here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    With the mist/rain last week the Bluebonnets bloomed everywhere. I10 west of san Antonio had wild flowers everywhere. Ive yet to check out the bandera state park.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Here's a short shot at Muleshoe Bend Park in Spicewood, TX taken last Wednesday. It's about 20-30 minutes west of Austin and easy to get to for anyone in San Antonio within a couple of hours. Depending on what route you take, you may be able to skip Austin traffic all together. Here's a link to a write up with directions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    Here's a short shot at Muleshoe Bend Park in Spicewood, TX taken last Wednesday. It's about 20-30 minutes west of Austin and easy to get to for anyone in San Antonio within a couple of hours. Depending on what route you take, you may be able to skip Austin traffic all together. Here's a link to a write up with directions.

Wow! That is a great video!!!! Need to check that place out soon. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It's easy for you to get to also. 281 north to 71, take a right to go east, take a left on 413 right past Opie's BBQ (great for after ride food), bear right on 404, take a left on 414 and turn right to stay on 414 at the airport and follow that into the park. The parking lot is on the left right after the entrance booth. That's where the trailhead is. That shot was taken down the first road to the right after you get into the park and down to the left after the camp ground. If you take the main road all the way in to the camp grounds, there are literally miles of bluebonnets carpeting the former lake bed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Is it single track ? Thx for the info/direction

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Very much so. The area the video is in is just beyond the trail closer to the lake/river. Hence Bend in the name of the park. It's pretty flowy single track with enough tech to make it interesting especially on the side loops. Pace Bend is also nearby that is a bit more techy and has more elevation change. Plus it has some nice wooden features and is the site of an early season race that is pretty popular. No idea on the bluebonnets though. The good thing about Muleshoe Bend is that it is in lots of foliage so when it gets hotter, there is loads of shade plus you can take a dip in the lake after the ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I just read there is a adventure race in muleshoe so I will be finding out soon. Goal is to check out reeville and muleshoe this weekend

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Cedar Hill State Park has some nice Bluebonnets its a little farther (about 3.5-4 hrs) but worth the drive
    Bluebonnet trails-web-photo.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bluebonnet trails-photo1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Re: Bluebonnet trails

I went to reeville peak ranch and saw some flowers. However on the drive home I decided to try out muleshoe.... well I took the wrong exit and gps got me lost. However... I could see a field of bluebonnets in thr distance. Bluebonnet trails-uploadfromtaptalk1398093202937.jpg