mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Bike Options in Dallas

I am looking at getting a new bike in a few weeks and was thinking of getting the new Pivot Mach 429Trail(HA 67.5) or the 2016 Specialized Camber(HA 68.5) I was not sure if the HA is to Slack for around here in the Dallas Area I am not interested in a racing style XC bike, I prefer a more upright position when riding. But I dont want the bike to feel like a chopper/bar hopper haha
    any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jschauer View Post
    I am looking at getting a new bike in a few weeks and was thinking of getting the new Pivot Mach 429Trail(HA 67.5) or the 2016 Specialized Camber(HA 68.5) I was not sure if the HA is to Slack for around here in the Dallas Area I am not interested in a racing style XC bike, I prefer a more upright position when riding. But I dont want the bike to feel like a chopper/bar hopper haha
    any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    You and I like the same kind of feel.

The 429 trail Is way too much bike for the Dallas area. 429SL, Tallboy, ASRc, Anthem X, Mach 4c, Anthem SX, all are great bikes for Dallas MTB'ing and will give you a more relaxed less aggressive feel. I ride the 429SL and previously a Tallboy, both are amazing bikes. Just make sure you throw a 120m fork on them.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    The 429 is a stellar bike. I have a 2013 Camber Comp with the 70 degree head angle. The bike is dead stable at speed and great on downhills (for what we have in this area). I do start "feeling" the long wheelbase of the bike in the uphill switchbacks.

Seeing the specs of the 2016 Camber (shorter chain stays for example), I would love to jump over to the bike, but there really is nothing wrong with my Camber around here.

As always with bikes though.... internet opinions suck. Yes, even mine. You can read all about how much people like their bikes, but until you actually ride them, you never will never know what is best for you.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    1999 Trek STP200 (the commuter)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    A regular 429C or 429SL would be perfect for Dallas. You might be able to find the 429C cheaper online or on Craigslist since a good number of people have picked up the SL or are getting the trail. I'm thinking of selling my 429C because I think the Trail will be better for the rocky Austin trails that I usually ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the replies guys, I am coming from a Camber Comp Carbon and that bike is a little racy feeling for my style of riding, my wife has a 2015 Stumpjumper I really enjoy her bike(yes we ride same size bike as she is taller than me haha) I think her bike which has 130 front and rear travel is just fine and fun but it only has a 69HA I think the new Pivot Trail is 116/130 travel wise is fine its like a cross between the Camber/Stumpjumper, its the HA that I am worried about, not sure if its going to feel like a Custom Chopper haha, not sure if the LBS will stock these up here so I might have to order blind is why I am asking, again I appreciate all your guys opinions!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jschauer View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, I am coming from a Camber Comp Carbon and that bike is a little racy feeling for my style of riding, my wife has a 2015 Stumpjumper I really enjoy her bike(yes we ride same size bike as she is taller than me haha) I think her bike which has 130 front and rear travel is just fine and fun but it only has a 69HA I think the new Pivot Trail is 116/130 travel wise is fine its like a cross between the Camber/Stumpjumper, its the HA that I am worried about, not sure if its going to feel like a Custom Chopper haha, not sure if the LBS will stock these up here so I might have to order blind is why I am asking, again I appreciate all your guys opinions!
    I just moved to McKinney from Ogden UT. UT has lots of Technical climbing and Technical downhill. I rode a Tallboy with a 120mm front fork in UT and it handled anything I through at it (including Moab). So, with all due respect, anytime i see someone in Texas riding long travel Enduro bikes it makes me giggle. A bikes head angle doesn't always mean a more upright position. For Example, I demoed a 69 degree head angled Giant Trance 29er and the handle bars felt like they were nipple height. a slacker head angle means more stability on the downhill (not in Texas) and slower handling through the tight stuff.. So, when your out at Erwin park riding in and out of trees, that slack head angled 29er is going to be a pain in the arss. I think 69 is the sweet spot for those of us that like slacker head angles in Texas.. DW link suspension seems bottomless, so that 116 on a 29er for Pivot is a lot. The 67.5 head angle on the Pivot Trail in Texas also seems way too much to have without any downhill