PVGNA PRO PATRIA

Big Bend March 8th ~ 11th?

Anyone planning on going out to the State Park from march 8th through the 11th? Any pointers? I am reviewing trails and maps now...

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Can you give specifics about your abilities, ambitions, group size and experience? Prior to that I can tell you a few things. Go Tubeless with reinforced sidewalls and carry these items with you; 2 slime tubes, slime, a pump, a tire boot, plugs and co2, extra chain links and a chain tool, and maybe a spare derailer hanger. Most people out there will tell you the same thing.

Don't get hurt. Help is not nearby! If you crash and break something it can be messed up. Carry twice as much water as you think you will need and let someone know your route and expected time to finish. Stay on your route. That place is 311,000 acres and they only have a few people working out there so if you change your plan and get stuck they may not find you and out there that is really bad. I have been out there twice. Once by myself and my back went out and I had to abandon half way through the epic. I am very fit but I was hauling a trailer with gear on a multiday. I was on the trail for 8 hours and didn't see anyone or even a plane until I got to the visitor center at Sauceda. I'm lucky I happened to be with the law enforcement guy out there when my back went out. I caught a ride two days later back to my car. The law enforcement guy and the superintendent are both MTBers and great guys.

The other time was two weeks ago during the festival and there were 400 people there. I passed many people with flats and quite a few with sidewall tears that were irreparable that had to hike out for miles. I carried a spare tire in addition to all of the above on my multiday.

This place is awesome but I am not overstating the danger. I haven't even gotten into some of the gnarly stuff out in the middle of nowhere that can hang you up or the soul sucking sand that can sap your strength. Let us know what you are up for and I can make suggestions for routes and such.
    My cycle tour blog; raymoorerides.blogspot.com

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Thanks for the reply...

I am an avid rider with some experience riding in remote areas out West, but I am still getting over rib injuries and will be taking it easy (not fast). This trip will be more me and my Dad off-roading & camping (well, bunk-housing) while I sneak in some riding here and there. The plan is to bring the 140mm FS 29r with SnakeSkin Schwalbes (NN/RoRo) setup tubeless along with some extra tubes, tools, etc. in the pack. I hope to hook up with some mtb'ing spring breaker, but if that doesn't work out, I'll have Dad provide chase in the 4x4. We are staying at the Sauceda Ranch so I guess that's where most of my riding will be centered as well. I have downloaded a map of the State Park to my iP5s via my Runtastic app so I should be good with cell free GPS mapping. I have also plotted most of the available full size maps from the web site.

From what I can tell, it looks like I can pick and choose routes that accommodate the available time that I have to ride. What >10 to <20 mile trail in the Sauceda area would you pick first?
    Last edited by NslrPrtn; 02-27-2014 at 08:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I don't think you can easily get to all the single track bike trails from sauceda, specifically the dome trail, Fresno, lajitas trail system, and some other good ones down south of where you are...could be wrong but I'm fairly certain you are far from all of those