Thread: Big Bend?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Big Bend?

Anyone do any biking out there? Thinking of making a drive from Houston. Will it be worth it?

half-fast rider
    Big Bend Ranch State Park and the Lajitas trails are lots of fun. No riding the trails in the National Park, but you can ride the jeep roads. The best time to go is President's Day Weekend for the Chihuahuan Desert Bike Fest. Desert Sports puts on the festival and has all the info you need on rding in the area.

Chihuahuan Desert Bike Fest | Desert Sports
    A wise man once said: "Always Ride"

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Totally worth it. I just rode two days there (one in Big Bend Ranch State Park and one at the Lajitas Trails). It takes a full day to get there. So, add in time to spend two days hiking in the National Park too, and you've got a great trip. Stay in Terlingua for a cool desert town launching pad (it's right between the State and National parks).

The picture is one view from the bike ride in the state park.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Bend?-bbstatepark-bikerideview.jpg  

Tree Dodger
    Nov 2012
    I have not been biking at Big Bend, but did go on back to back Thanksgiving weekend backing packing trips and I can say it's a beautful place that many Texans never think of going to see. The South Rim trail is a must hike!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Several times riding there now and there is a story on my blogspot link of a mtb trip to big bend earlier this year. Also some vids in my vimeo link.

Yes you will have a great time. Be sure and eat at the old theater in Terlingua and I recommend the Diego burger. Also in Lajitas the Octillio has marvelous breakfast bar.

Dono not miss the dome trail in the state park, and the Lajitas trails. The old ore road to Langford Hotsprings 30ish mile "jeep trail" ride in the national park is also great. The restaurant at the national park is also good eats.

It is am immense area and plan on spending several days.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    cool, nice to see good things about riding out there...i hope to be doing this before the weather gets too hot

so there is a state park and a national park...no biking in the national (except roads), and bike trails in state and lajitas? sounds like a lot to take in

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfony78 View Post
    so there is a state park and a national park...no biking in the national (except roads), and bike trails in state and lajitas? sounds like a lot to take in
    You've got it right.
    FYI, the Lajitas Trails are within a mile or two of one of the main State Park trailheads.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Yup Contrabando TH just down the road on the other side of the highway from the Lajitas trails. OP have fun out there; I think I'm not going to make the Feb fest this year mainly because I only have a dinky 15 working days of vacation each year + holidays and there's other places I'd like to maybe go.

Quote Originally Posted by addATX View Post
    You've got it right.
    FYI, the Lajitas Trails are within a mile or two of one of the main State Park trailheads.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I rode the Contrabando trail a couple of weeks ago. Nice weather, it's even better now. Hopefully I can get out there a lot this winter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Spent a few days riding the SP trails a couple years ago. Totally worth the drive. The camping out there is awesome too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Your best bet is to head out there for the Chihuahuan Desert Bike Fest.

Earlier this year, I did some BikePacking out there:

mtbr member
    just got back last night !

we were there over xmas...

mtbr member
    May 2012

Bikepacking

OP, if you or any of the others reading this are interested, I'm trying to go on "The Other Side of Nowhere" IMBA Epic that's detailed in the state park's mountain biking guide.
    Just trying to attempt a first bikepacking ride.
    If you're interested, I'm looking to leave from the Austin area January 5th +- a few days and spend 4 days out there.

Call or text me at 9038218783

Thanks
    Andrew

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i wont' be able to do this trip until april/may timeframe...hope to head out there with a friend, but if anyone from here going to be out there at that time, let me know

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I will be out there April 19-24 if anyone else is interested. My "friend" just backed out, so I'll be alone. Wouldn't mind having some riding buddies.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Big Bend is on my bucketlist!

mtbr member

Bikes/Beers/BustinAss
    Dec 2012
    Man, I wish I could go with ya sinfony. Unfortunately I just started a new job. Did you get a new bike yet?
    I ride because exercising sucks, it's a lot of fun, and it makes beer taste oh so much better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Re: Big Bend?

yes and it was expensive. a knolly endorphin. decided i should go big or go home :-)

Bikes/Beers/BustinAss
    Dec 2012
    That my friend is a bad ass bike!! I'm glad you got away from the treks.
    I ride because exercising sucks, it's a lot of fun, and it makes beer taste oh so much better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

a couple pics, an absolute blast. dome trail in the state park and loop 3 in lajitas were badass
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Bend?-uploadfromtaptalk1366993616866.jpg  

Big Bend?-uploadfromtaptalk1366993629186.jpg  

Big Bend?-uploadfromtaptalk1366993867060.jpg  

Big Bend?-uploadfromtaptalk1366993881983.jpg  

Big Bend?-uploadfromtaptalk1366993900408.jpg  

mtbr member
    In your opinions, what is the best bike setup to tackle this area? I have a 7in FR bike I know would be overkill, but access to a 6.5in AM 2x10. Should I just try to rent a hardtail or shorter travel bike? Seems like a lot of flat to mess with on a big bike.

half-fast rider
    Ride the one that makes you smile. 99% of my riding is on a 1X9 steel hardtail. Once in awhile I walk up a hill. Lots of times I could go faster on the downhills. So what.
    A wise man once said: "Always Ride"

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

i rode one trail system in the state park (dome trail from west trail head) and there were a few climbs that required my 26 tooth in my 2x10. personally i find more enjoyment and satisfaction from climbing than walking. in the lajitas trail system i only rode one loop (they have five) and that could have been done on a 1x10.

these could also have been done just fine on a hard tail, but personally i think anything without large drops can be done on a hard tail