Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Best Tire Combo for Texas (Houston & Conroe)

I have been running the Kenda Nevegals front and back 29x2.10 on my Pivot since I brought it back from Colorado, but the Nevegal rear tire is a slow roller. I had to air the rear tire up to 40psi before I felt like I was moving again on the trails at Huntsville. I am 190lbs. I am wondering about keeping the front tire and swapping the rear with something new. I was thinking a Maxxis Crossmark or Kenda Slant Six for the rear. I am leaning more towards the Slant Six because it seems to have more bite and cornering ability. Also, whether to go with the Slant Six 29x2.00 or 29x2.20. There is about a 40g weight difference. I will stick with the tube version because the Nevegal front I have cant be run with sealants. What are your opinions and thoughts. I am mainly riding in the Houston and Conroe area so there will be clay, sand, roots, and some actual top soil mixed in. The Nevegals have performed great but they are just a drag.

mtbr member
    I have to say since i Live in H"town and Now In Broomfield,Co i run Nobby Nic's 2.35's By Schwalbe and love them, Best tire i ever had !!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

meh
    Dont live/ride the Houston area at all...but will second Nobby Nics, for just about anywhere.
    They are an amazing tire, gobs of grip and still roll extremely well. The only downside is they are a bit more expensive.

There is a reason they call them Neverolls, will never again buy one of those tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    Dont live/ride the Houston area at all...but will second Nobby Nics, for just about anywhere.
    They are an amazing tire, gobs of grip and still roll extremely well. The only downside is they are a bit more expensive.

There is a reason they call them Neverolls, will never again buy one of those tires.

People here in Colorado dont like the Nevegals as well , It's just not a good tire !!

You can buy them here Schwalbe Nobby Nic Performance Mountain Bike Tire - Mountain Bike Tires This is the Low end of the tire but still good, I am not sure what the stock Nooby on my bike is but it has held up all last summer of riding up at Winter Park !!
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    The BEST Houston area & Conroe Aka (Huntsville State Park) Tires

Kenda Small Block 8's

Maxxis IKON

Specialized Renegade

Specialized Fast Track

Hutchinson Python

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I live in Houston and ride here frequently. I've got a Crossmark on the back and it does fantastic! The nobs down the middle are close together which keeps the tire fast and it corners fine (ive had no problems with side grip). Im about 205lbs and I run them at 40psi. I had some rocket rons I rode for a while, super light and fast, but they wouldn't grip for nothing when it was dry.
    Ive got an ignitor on the front which definitely slows me down a bit, but i haven't washed out in the sand since I put that sucker on there.
    You could check out the MaxxLite 310 for a rear tire. I don't know much about them, but the profile looks rather intriguing.
    Last edited by standamantx; 04-09-2012 at 02:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I actually picked up a Crossmark for the rear and kept my Kenda Nevegal on the front. Seems to work fine. I tested it at sandy Huntsville and it seems to work great. The only issue now is that I sheared off my rear derailleur so I am waiting on a new hanger. Hopefully it will be here before the weekend. Pivot is in Arizona so it should not take that long.

I miss f88
    I tend to go for bigger tires, but I just don't think there's anything in Houston that deserves anything as meaty as a nobby nic.

Maybe an ardent up front if you're really worried about grip, but I think crossmark/SB8 is more than enough tire for the local trails. Not like you can really ride when it gets very muddy anyway.

For reference, on my my bike I run Highroller 2.35/Crossmark 2.1, about to change to an ardent 2.25 in the rear.
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Something larger and slightly knobby on the front, smaller and less knobby on the back. For me it's 2.4 Rocket Ron or Nobby Nic tubeless in front and 2.1 Weirwolf, Wolverine, or SB8 tubeless on the back.

But in reality, it doesn't matter. 700x38 (1.6) Marathon Cross works pretty well too. See lots of peeps running Nevegals, Blue Grooves, and one friend even has a 2.4 Nobby Nic on the back (gasp!).

Buy some tires, put air in them, and ride your bike.

mtbr member
    conti trail king (rubber queen) 2.2 rear
    schwalbe hans dampf 2.3 front

trail king rolls fast and quiet and has great transition for me and that hans is moto good on the business end. the combo has done well from sand to rocks and roots for me and each has good volume for a little jumping too. put grip over weight and you can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've run the nevegals, hutch pythons and a few of the sworks tires.... i'm currently running crossmarks... great tire.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Maxxis Ikon rear and Ardent front.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Man y'all like knobbie tires for riding in the Houston area!

I think the last "knobbie" type tire i ran was a IRC Mythos XC back in 99' Hutchinson pythons and Kenda karmas was my go to tire back in the day for riding in the Houston area. When the "micro-knob" type tires came out I was sold on the small block 8's they grip like velcro on the local trails and roll fast and smooth.

If you must have a knobbie tire take a look at the Specialized “The Captain Control” tire. I put them on our bikes last year when we went to Durango they have a nice knob and roll better than any other knobbie tire I did research on and worked well everywhere from fast and flowy phils world in cortez to rocky bolam pass/hotel draw up near purgatory.

I've found out that experimenting with tire pressure will give you the biggest gains in tire performance. Going tubeless i can ride 21-24psi on 29"x2.2 tires easily on stans rims and roval carbon rims without the sensation that my tire is going to roll off the rim

mtbr member
    I've had good luck with both Aspens and Saguaros on a couple different 29ers.
    Quiring KVA MS2 Stainless 29er SS
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | GHORBA | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecthelion View Post
    I've had good luck with both Aspens and Saguaros on a couple different 29ers.
    Aspens were/are great tires for places like double lake and huntsville but lacked braking bite on rocky courses in central Texas I'm giving you positve rep for the Aspens for the Houston area nonetheless...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i like nevegals and small block 8's

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, I switched back to Nevegals front and rear for a trip to Bluff Creek Ranch in Warda TX and it was slow slow slow. The Maxxis Crossmark in the rear is the way to go if you want speed with decent traction (I went with the non-LUST non-UST version due to the weight savings). I am considering swapping out the front Nevegal to a 2012 Nobby Nic 2.35 Snakeskin just to decrease weight a little and increase speed. I want to keep something with volume and knobs in the front due to the prevalence of sand and loose over hardpack we have on Texas trails. I will say one thing for the Nevegals they never let loose the whole ride but it felt like I was riding through mud because they just stuck to the trail. I was wondering if the Nobby Nic 2.35 29er tire is true to size or if it is smaller.

since 4/10/2009
    I ride north of there and the trails have a lot of sand on them. for the sandy stuff, I like my conti mtn kings. definitely need a big tire up front to avoid washing out. I'm at 2.4 right now and happy with the results.

on hardpack stuff, I really like micro knobbies. I haven't ridden hardpack enough in the past few years to buy some new micro knobbies, but I had really good results from Specialized FastTrack Pros back when I used them more extensively.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm a big Nevegal fan and they took good care of me when I lived in CO but they are overkill for Houston. I swapped the rear for a Slant Six which I really like. Its like a cross between a nevegal and a SB8.

mtbr member
    Holy crap, you guys ride some huge tires. I'm buiding a XC bike (trance x) that can do some AM whatever there is here. I just got set of Stans wheels.

Not to hijack thread, but I've not shopped for tires in years. I remember when the theory was a narrow tire like 1.8 or 1.9 rolls better, is lighter and cuts through mud better, gives more mud clearance. I bought an older FS bike years ago with huge 2.2 or something tires on it felt like I was driving a tractor - very slow but stable.

What would be recommended tire size and shape for XC riding on varied texas terrain from Warda to mud, sand, etc.?

I had a set of those snoother center mtb tires with side lugs for traction years ago. Seemed like a good idea but I flatted like a million times but granted they were clearanced Performance tires which were knockoffs of michelins.....I really don't want to go to a tractor type tire I'm sure it works for many of you but I'd like a faster riding tire to make up for my lack speed...grin.

since 4/10/2009
    Semislicks suck. Just no way around it. Microknobbies instead. You get traction plus smooth rolling for hardpack.

For mud, the logic still calls for narrower to cut through, but logic also calls for not riding in that crap in the first place. So those tires have also fallen by the wayside and are mostly only used by few racers who do races that don't cancel for sloppy conditions, and there are few.

Wider with lower pressure is the trend these days. There is only so much benefit from that on smooth hardpack, though. The benefit of wide and soft is in the rough where the tire deforms instead of rebounds off of roots and rocks. There is also a great deal of benefit for loose sand, where cutting into it is bad for traction but surface area can prevent it. A fat bike is ideal for sand, but for a regular mtb, a fatter front will help prevent the front end from washing out in sand. North of Houston, most sand packs well but if it's disturbed it is super loose. Hence my tire choice.

mtbr member
    Good points. +1 about not riding in mud, try hard to avoid it, bad for trails as well as clogging your bike. I have just got a set of stan's wheels and have not tried them yet so your input with regards to lower pressure and tubeless I have read a bit about but not experienced. I'm still buying rest of gear for that bike build. I'll have to reverse look this thread and see what tire you are running. And holy crap, all tires have gotten expensive. Seems a bit of a rip-off when you can get a small car tire that has like 50 times more rubber in it and steel belts for $80 and some of these tires are not far from that price. I'm obviously a retro-grouch leaning type...never mind the complaining.
    I know there is a bit of sand in memorial and a good chunk up at Huntsville.

XC racer
    May 2005
    I've been using Schwalbe Rocket Rons for all Texas use the last couple of years. Run tubeless on my 29'ers I can run them at 25psi for good traction and good ride. They roll well and have plenty of gription for me. I subscribe to the belief that tires are a personal call, just pick something and get used to its characteristics. (BTW the RR's are amongst the lightest 29'er tires on the market in the 2.25 width which has just the right volume I think.)

mtbr member
    I saw a deal on these, the knobs are a bit deep but they look effective. I'm used to skinnier tire btw.

WTB ExiWolf 1.95" Race Tire

a buddy who rides a lot recommended also the WTB Nano which looked good,

mtbr member
    An old friend (literally but hes in better shape than many 20 yr olds) said the 1.95" tire I was looking at b/c it was so cheap was too skinny for loose soil / sand we get in some sections around here so I will look at something a big bigger as y'all have been recommending. Thanks for all the suggestions on the thread some good stuff there but many over $50 was hoping to find some bargains...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast