Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    bike rider
    S-Works FastTrak 2.0 front and S-Works Renegade 1.95 rear for around Houston. I run Furious Freds front and rear on my WeightWeenie bike but just because I'm retarded. I also have a set of 2.1 Schwalbe Rocket Rons on my Ti 29er SS and they work pretty good around here.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You just picked up a fast track cause bike barn doesn't carry ground controls (what an awesome shop - sticker prices over retail!).

I can say that Ardents are OK, the Nev Front/slant 6 rear was good a good combo if your light on the front and lean into corners.

The small blocks and Renegades are good in houston or east TX - but no pebbly rocks for small blocks - very unpredictable washes - like riding on wet wood. Renegade slides in pebbles and hard pack, but in a predictable way.

Nobby Nic up front is bueno better than Nev.
    PM me for a great price on a pike 150 27.5 as new condition, barely seen dirt!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Bike Barn has crazy high prices

mtbr member
    I ran Small Block 8's most of last year at Lake Houston Wilderness Park and Double lakes. They worked good for the most part until the leaves and straw started falling. Things would get sketchy in the corners, they lack side knobs large enough to penetrate the litter layer. I switched it up to an Ignitor 2.1 out back and an Ardent 2.25 in the front. I absolutely love the Ignitor as a rear tire, fast rolling and plenty of grip. However I'm not so sure about the Ardent. It rolls fast, but it is a bit unpredictable. It will hook up in a corner, but I really have to aggressively throw the bike over since it lacks any significant knobs between the center and the side knobs.

As far a Bike Barn goes, lets just say I am not impressed. Prices are outrageous and the location I visited seemed to be staffed by a bunch of high school kids who were lacking in the knowledge department.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Best Tire Combo for Texas (Houston & Conroe)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDocTx View Post
    I ran Small Block 8's most of last year at Lake Houston Wilderness Park and Double lakes. They worked good for the most part until the leaves and straw started falling. Things would get sketchy in the corners, they lack side knobs large enough to penetrate the litter layer. I switched it up to an Ignitor 2.1 out back and an Ardent 2.25 in the front. I absolutely love the Ignitor as a rear tire, fast rolling and plenty of grip. However I'm not so sure about the Ardent. It rolls fast, but it is a bit unpredictable. It will hook up in a corner, but I really have to aggressively throw the bike over since it lacks any significant knobs between the center and the side knobs.

As far a Bike Barn goes, lets just say I am not impressed. Prices are outrageous and the location I visited seemed to be staffed by a bunch of high school kids who were lacking in the knowledge department.
    I am wondering if anyone has tried the new Ardent Race on any Texas trails?
    '14 Giant Anthem Adv 29
    '13 Giant Anthem 29
    '13 Trek Superfly 29
    '11 Trek 4300 Disc

mtbr member
    I have been shopping for a new front tire to try this year and the Ardent Race is on my list. I'm not sure how available they are at the moment. I read on here somewhere that someone ordered one from Bike Bling and it was not actually in stock. One of those "ships when available" type deals. It looks like it could be a really good tire for this area.

I have a set of WTB Wolverine 2.2 Comp wire bead tires that I took off of a bike I got new. I never used them because they weigh something stupid like 900 grams. I was goofing around a few days ago and decided to throw them on my hardtail. I gotta admit I was surprised. Once I got those heavy suckers rolling they weren't bad, they rolled a lot faster than I anticipated and have tons of grip. They were really good in the sand, which I deal with alot. The race version of this tire can be had cheap and is quite a bit lighter. I am considering trying one out on the front.

mtbr member
    Tubeless Nobby Nic up front 2.25, Racing Ralph out back 2.25. Great grip, and fast enough for me. Houston riding only

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty2341 View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has tried the new Ardent Race on any Texas trails?
    I'm in Austin and have them in 26" and 2.2 mounted tubeless on a slack, long travel hardtail and they are pretty good. I've taken them through some pretty burly terrain and so far they have behaved better than ardents. Ardents are great rollers, great in the turns as long as you lean them hard, but no transition between the center knobs and the edge knobs giving you a kind of neutral area when turning until you lean the bike far enough to get the edge knobs to grab. I'm thinking of trading them off and getting some Bontrager XR4 Team Issues. Those grab all through the tire width as well as the Ardents in their sweet spots from the center to the edges and have a great compound with a good balance between wear and grip.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5