Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've had great luck with a Specialized The Captain front and Renegade rear, both Control series.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Update on the Mtn King 2.4 front and X King 2.4 rear:

Works great in Austin and Houston. It's easy to overwhelm either in chunder, but there's not much of that in TX. Hit a few techy trails in Austin last weekend and Memorial Park in Houston tonight. Plenty of grip, good rolling resistance, and great side bite. This combo is probably the least knobby I would choose for pure Austin riding, as the X King would probably be useless if the limestone is wet. Getting over roots at Memorial wasn't a problem, even if I picked a bad line and need a little extra help from Conti and Knolly. Overall, a good combo for an all-rounder, but absolute crap for real DH trails.

As an all mountain/enduro tire, this combo rolls fast and is predictable, but extra momentum is needed occasionally. If the conditions are blown out and loose, the back is very prone to sliding out on steep stuff, but again, not much of that here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gillespie View Post
    Update on the Mtn King 2.4 front and X King 2.4 rear:

Works great in Austin and Houston. It's easy to overwhelm either in chunder, but there's not much of that in TX. Hit a few techy trails in Austin last weekend and Memorial Park in Houston tonight. Plenty of grip, good rolling resistance, and great side bite. This combo is probably the least knobby I would choose for pure Austin riding, as the X King would probably be useless if the limestone is wet. Getting over roots at Memorial wasn't a problem, even if I picked a bad line and need a little extra help from Conti and Knolly. Overall, a good combo for an all-rounder, but absolute crap for real DH trails.

As an all mountain/enduro tire, this combo rolls fast and is predictable, but extra momentum is needed occasionally. If the conditions are blown out and loose, the back is very prone to sliding out on steep stuff, but again, not much of that here.
    I have never run a non Black Chili Continental, but I haven't had any problems on wet limestone with the Black Chili compound. I run the Protection versions of your setup on my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tussery View Post
    I have never run a non Black Chili Continental, but I haven't had any problems on wet limestone with the Black Chili compound. I run the Protection versions of your setup on my bike.
    Mine are Black Chili, full UST.

Put another hole in the X King yesterday at Flat Rock Ranch. Beginning to question the durability of the X King.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gillespie View Post
    Mine are Black Chili, full UST.

Put another hole in the X King yesterday at Flat Rock Ranch. Beginning to question the durability of the X King.
    I was under the impression the UST line of the X-King and Mountain Kings weren't made in Germany, and only the German line was Black Chili.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So, did anyone ever come to a conclusion on this thread? I just moved to Houston my self and am looking for some new shoes to put on my 29er...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcracer450 View Post
    So, did anyone ever come to a conclusion on this thread? I just moved to Houston my self and am looking for some new shoes to put on my 29er...
    S WORKS RENEGADE

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    HAL,

Front and Rear?

mtbr member
    I'll get crap for this but of your short on cash, get a set of kenda kwiks.

I was Leary of them at first but I did 10 miles of single track, technical climbs, and some fast dh. They did surprisingly well. Only thing they lacked just a slight bit was climbing. They would spin just a tad sometimes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    HAL,

Front and Rear?
    Yes

Front and Rear

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just spent a month in Colorado riding everyday using a 29er 725g Nobby Nic Evo SnakeSkin PaceStar Compound 2.35 in the rear and a 29er 850g Hans Dampf Evo SnakeSkin TrailStar Compound 2.35 in the front and they worked great for that type of riding (lots of lift assisted riding and some decent cross country with long downhill sections). When I came back to Conroe I switched the rear tire out for the 29er 605g Crossmark 2.10 base model and I am really liking this combo. When I got back from my trip I rode about 40 miles with the Nobby Nic in the rear and the Hans Dampf in the front and it just seemed slow, but when I switched the rear out for the Crossmark the bike just started to fly. I think I will stick with this combo for a while because the high volume sticky front tire just rails in the corners without any hint of wash-out and the skinny cross country rear tire just rolls with ease over anything. I run tubes and I weigh 185lbs. I run 26lbs in the front tire (Hans Dampf) and 30lbs in the rear tire (Crossmark). I found that you can run really low pressures in the SnakeSkin Schwalbe tires because the side walls are much stiffer. Also I never suffered one pinch flat while riding in Colorado with the Schwalbe tires while by buddy got two pinch flats running Kenda Nevegals with higher pressure and he weighs the same as me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Does anyone run the S-Works FastTrak? I heard that was a good tire for around Memorial Park area/Anthills. Not sure I would use it on the front though. Not enough side bite it looks like

mtbr member
    Does anyone run the S-Works FastTrak? I heard that was a good tire for around Memorial Park area/Anthills. Not sure I would use it on the front though. Not enough side bite it looks like
    great tire along with the renagade

mtbr member
    Thanks for everyone who had suggestions, I got a set of slant six tires run stan's tubeless setup and have been VERY impressed at the whole deal. Traction and shock absorption going uphill on rooted climbs is unbelievable compared to my old school bike, and it rolls great. Only ? was that the Kenda documentation said it was going to blow the warranty if you used them with tubeless sealer - WTF, isn't everyone going tubeless? I used stan's anyway no issues yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Trail Kings front & rear, anyone? I've been running X king protection 2.2 F/R but dissapointed after a few low sides and thorn flats.They're light, but insufficient cornering traction at speed and thin walled. Going back to my 2.2 trail kings. They raise the bike 1/2" they're so big. Nearly a 650B in size, I think!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtvet View Post
    Trail Kings front & rear, anyone? I've been running X king protection 2.2 F/R but dissapointed after a few low sides and thorn flats.They're light, but insufficient cornering traction at speed and thin walled. Going back to my 2.2 trail kings. They raise the bike 1/2" they're so big. Nearly a 650B in size, I think!
    I'm currently running X-King 2.2. Protection F/R and was looking at the new Protection version of the Trail Kings. Definitely my next set.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHate View Post
    I'll get crap for this but of your short on cash, get a set of kenda kwiks.

I was Leary of them at first but I did 10 miles of single track, technical climbs, and some fast dh. They did surprisingly well. Only thing they lacked just a slight bit was climbing. They would spin just a tad sometimes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    i realize i'm bringing a thread back from the dead, almost a year ago, but i recently moved to houston from ct/ny and the nevegals were overkill for me. they came stock on my '11 trance x3.

i looked into the conti x-kings, slant 6, and small block 8. i was hesitant to spend the $120+ so i started looking at cheaper alternatives as well.

i ended up going with the 26x2.2 forte tsali from performance down on westheimer and i'm pretty impressed so far. i don't have long term results yet but they faired well in memorial park, and along some bayou trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Me and the wife ride the anthills ( I'm bigger and ride more aggressive, she's light and ride more clean ) I use ground control ( control ) 2.3 in the front ( it's smaller than 2.3) and fast track control 2.2 in the rear... she rides a captain 2.2 front and renegade 2.1 rear.... I like my setup, plenty of brute force traction everywhere... her setup is faster but it's easier to get in trouble.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Double IKONs. Nuff said.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just rode a bike with 2.2 Ikons 3C TR at 30psi front and 34psi rear with tubes. They worked great for medium to loose soil. The 120tpi casing is really supple and I think it gives the tire a lot of grip. I also might run the 2.35 Ikon in the front or maybe the Ignitor. I am 6'-2" and 190lbs with gear. I only ran into two instances on a 20 mile ride where I could feel the front giving and that was pushing the tire hard with wet/damp soil out at Double Lake.

On my current bike I run a Hans Dampf front and a Crossmark on the rear. The Hans Dampf has never washed out on me but I think it is too much tire for the Houston area where you are constantly on the pedals. For Houston you want low rolling resistance and low weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    S WORKS RENEGADE

I was suspicious of the renegades that came with my recent craigslist find, but I've changed my mind. 2.3 S-works Renegades front and rear have a surprising amount of grip. Feels bad when I connect trails with concrete, though, I can almost see the rubber left behind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Maxxis Aspens are great, WTB Wolverine 2.2 are fast with a bigger volume

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Agree with not needing real aggressive tread

I like having various tire options, whatever works for the area I'm riding, Nevegal, or "Neverolls" haha, good winter tire with added pan head screws for home made ice bike tires and a 2.6 Kinetics rear. Living near Galveston, some wide SB8'S 2.35" are fun for most all the riding here including trails. When I encounter serious loose stuff front with three inch Racing Savage. Oh boy, now I'm excited about getting back to my cabin in Colorado, Three inch Racing Savage front, 2.6" kinetics rear, fun stuff for trekking the back country.
    Best Tire Combo for Texas (Houston & Conroe)-classic-style-modern-build.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Here in Austin I am using a 2.3 Speccy Ground Control up front and a Hutchinson Cobra 2.1 out back. I was having a couple of slip issues on the rear on more rocky climbs, but I reversed the tread on it as a short term fix until I could get another tire for the back and it solved my problem with no noticeable additional rolling resistance. I run tubeless with 25-28 pressure up front and 30 in the back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Best Tire Combo for Texas (Houston & Conroe)

In Dallas and I'm running a 2.2 Scyella Rubena in front and a 2.2 Geax AKA in rear.

Really impressed with the traction I've gotten since switching. Both of these tires are extremely fast rolling.

Was using Maxxis Crossmarks prior but they didn't seem to like being run tubeless, burped pretty often.

Since switching to the Geax and Rubena I haven't had any of the burping issues. Supposedly the Geax tires have a tighter bead that doesn't stretch as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast