Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    XC racer
    May 2005
    Maxxis Crossmark was my go-to tire when I rode 26'ers, never used an Ignitor or Larsen. All three of my 29'er bikes have come OEM with Schwalbe Rocket Rons and I like them so I've become a bit biased.
    I'm with HAL here in the idea that you need nothing more than small knobbies for any Texas trail. I've ridden all the Houston area trails, Terlingua desert, Hill Country rocks, and everything in between and have never needed more traction than the RR's give.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm a clyde for sure and I have to ride a true UST tire. Those nevegal sidewalls are too thin for me, i blow them out like Hal's bunghole at a spandex convention (sorry hal, love you). The crossmarks and the hutch python are the only tires to date that have been able to keep pressure with my big a$$.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The best tire you can get around these here parts is called RIDING WITH FINESSE. If you ride like a jackass you will blow-out tires, lose traction and probably lose some skin, blood and bones. If you don't ride with Finesse your mom will be mad at you along with your grandma too.

I seen bloodyroots out riding @ timberlane park, with no finesse and blow out his seatpost...

cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    bahaha, the thanks i get for building someone's bike. G00nther wears spandex as well.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I live near The Woodlands and ride around the neighborhood and at Flintridge and been real happy with the Rapid Rob that came with my Scott. Of course my experience is pretty limited.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Bowfish, I ride at Flintridge every once in a while. I am the guy with the red Pivot Mach 429. I have been running the Nobby Nic PSC 29x2.35 Front and Crossmark 29x2.10 Single 60TPI Rear and it has worked out great so far for all of the trails in the Houston area. This combo rolls really fast and the Nobby Nic rolls so much better than the Nev. I just recently purchased a Hans Dampf TSC 29x2.35 to run in the front for my 20 day trip to Colorado next week, so I will move the Nobby Nic to the rear. I am interested to see how the Hans Dampf compares to the Nev. If the Hans Dampf works out I might keep it in the front for a while when I come back. I just don't trust the Crossmark to hold up in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk02 View Post
    I just don't trust the Crossmark to hold up in Colorado.
    no braking bite on the crossmarks

mtbr member
    Let us know what you think when you return.

Bowfish, I ride at Flintridge every once in a while. I am the guy with the red Pivot Mach 429. I have been running the Nobby Nic PSC 29x2.35 Front and Crossmark 29x2.10 Single 60TPI Rear and it has worked out great so far for all of the trails in the Houston area. This combo rolls really fast and the Nobby Nic rolls so much better than the Nev. I just recently purchased a Hans Dampf TSC 29x2.35 to run in the front for my 20 day trip to Colorado next week, so I will move the Nobby Nic to the rear. I am interested to see how the Hans Dampf compares to the Nev. If the Hans Dampf works out I might keep it in the front for a while when I come back. I just don't trust the Crossmark to hold up in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Dont have enough posts to PM you yet. Good luck on the trip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    Ha!

NOOBS are phunny...
    Never personally met B Gillespie, but my buddy rides with him. He is far from a NOOB.

oootard
    Quote Originally Posted by tussery View Post
    Never personally met B Gillespie, but my buddy rides with him. He is far from a NOOB.
    But what if you and your buddy are also noobs?

I kid, I kid. B Gillespie may be a big boob, but he is not a noob.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux View Post
    But what if you and your buddy are also noobs?
    I'm an elitist snob therefore I consider everyone else a noob.

mtbr member
    The crossmark rear / ignitor front is good for Houston. Really good. Koen once told me the Ignitor breaks through the surface layer (leaves, pine needles, dust, etc.) and gets into the trail for excellent cornering. I'm glad I took his advice. The crossmark has a fast rolling speed and plenty of braking bite for Houston. (and for a lightweight like me, pretty much anywhere in TX). Plus, you don't look like a NOOB putting two different tire brands on your bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX29er View Post
    you don't look like a NOOB putting two different tire brands on your bike.
    Just saying you look like a NOOB for having two different tires on however...I would not qualify Koen as a NOOB I'm more in the Winkleman camp of smallblock 8's (trail velcro) for everywhere and anywhere in Texas.

D A N Z I G sez ride what makes you happy

Last edited by HAL 9000; 08-16-2012 at 12:20 PM.

mtbr member
    "Danzig is an ancient beast that is made of dead elk parts. He is remembering how he wore an elk head earlier, how right that felt, inside that elk head, looking out the elk eyeholes, making elk sounds in the hollow head. One time he almost laughed. He once wore an elk head on his his own head, elk heads on each hand and exposed his own legs which are, in fact, hooved elk legs, to scare some children in his neighborhood. The children screamed and burst into flames. Danzig galloped away. He isnt often happy. But this is his Danzig Party."

mtbr member
    I look around me and all I can see today is charred gristle. I see a squirrel in the corner of this club. It used to be gray, but now its burnt to a blackened crisp. I remember a cooking show I once saw as a child. This band on stage reminds me of that. I seek council from someone on the other end of my neck cross cell phone. I find no comfort in any of their words and hang up my phone. I turn my eyes inside out and breathe easier witnessing the blacker blackness of my damp brains.

oootard
    I'm an elitist snob therefore I consider everyone else a noob.

Never personally met HAL 9000, but my buddy tries to ride with him. He is definitely an elitist snob.

mtbr member
    Never personally met HAL 9000, but my buddy tries to ride with him. He is definitely an elitist snob.
    He travels fastest who travels alone.

oootard
    Quote Originally Posted by hal 9000 View Post
    he travels fastest who travels alone.
    bold typeface provides greater emphasis.

mtbr member
    You and your buddy are welcome to join us on our tue/thur ride at 6pm

Houston Ride: Tuesday/Thursday West End Ride (Death Ride) Texas Racing Life

See you in an hour.

Troy - Houston Memorial Park (Death Ride) in Houston, TX | cycling Map | MapMyRIDE

mtbr member
    Lol..that gave me a chuckle.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member

mtbr member
    HAL9K, are you aware of the WPF (and others) dam ride Sunday. 7:00 AM. http://www.facebook.com/groups/501949223165321/ I think you're not on FB, so let me know if you want more info. I haven't done it with this group yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX29er View Post
    HAL9K, are you aware of the WPF (and others) dam ride Sunday. 7:00 AM. http://www.facebook.com/groups/501949223165321/ I think you're not on FB, so let me know if you want more info. I haven't done it with this group yet.
    Hal 9000 & Mrs. Hal 9000 are unsociable ******-bags...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    He travels fastest who travels alone.
    You were ~30 minutes slower than he who traveled fastest in your last race .
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast