mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Best Price for a 13 Trek Mamba

Starting to take MTB a little more serious so I thought I would join the forum and do some research. I have my heart set on a 13 Mamba and was wondering what the best price going is in the Houston Austin area? Does a place like Bike Barn ever move off the listed price? Do they have any big sales I should hold off for?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by joewat64 View Post
    Starting to take MTB a little more serious so I thought I would join the forum and do some research. I have my heart set on a 13 Mamba and was wondering what the best price going is in the Houston Austin area? Does a place like Bike Barn ever move off the listed price? Do they have any big sales I should hold off for?
    When the 2014 models come out they could discount the 2013's. It doesn't hurt to talk with several dealers, do the car dealer thing.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I tried that at Bike Barn but I was looked at like I was out of my mind. I told the guy thanks for his time but I was going to shop around. He said have a good day. Just seems like there isn't much bargaining room in this biz?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The elite brands hold their dealers to a tight line on pricing until the model year ends. Wave cash at one of them and it might get them to budge a hundred dollars. Don't stop looking at Bike Barn, go to other dealers.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm planning on going to some other shops this weekend. Any suggestions for the houston area?

mtbr member
    May 2012

Best Price for a 13 Trek Mamba

I bought mine for about $900 in June of last year. Seemed like a decent, if not great, deal at the time. Especially considering they hadn't been out for too long at that point. Not sure what they're generally selling for now though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    $999 at Bike Barn

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Go to Trek website and use the find a dealer,
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Done that. Was hoping someone could recommend a good bike shop with good deals. Ill just do the door to door thing until I get a deal. I just want to get on some dirt soon!

Rogue Exterminator
    I love how people will spend countless hours driving shop to shop and who knows how much gas all to maybe save $100 on an entry level bike.

Maybe instead, you should shop the service the shop is going to offer you instead of trying to nick them for a few pennies off the price.

There is one question you should be asking the shop when buying a current year model bike.

What services (i.e. free tune ups) do you offer to customers who buy a new bike at your shop?

Then if you want a discount ask them if they offer discounts on gear with the purchase of a new bike.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good advice thanks. But $100 isnt Pennies to me.

Rogue Exterminator
    Good advice thanks. But $100 isnt Pennies to me.
    $100 isn't pennies to me either but I am not going to spend countless hours driving shop to shop and who knows how much money in gas all to MAYBE save $100.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well I have been to one shop which is why I came here first hoping someone had some good shops to go too because maybe when they bought a bike got a good deal or service or whatever. But I get what you're saying.

Rogue Exterminator
    No problem.

Find out what shops offer the best service.
    You will be a lot happier with that in the long run then you will with saving a few dollars.

Some shops slap the bike together, send you out the door and could care less if you ever return. Most offer a free tune up or two after the purchase of a bike and a few even offer free lifetime tune ups.

Good luck and here is some + rep for getting what I am saying. It won't get any money off the bike but it will.....who am I kidding, it doesn't mean sh!t but here it is anyways.

mtbr member
    Trek Fest is coming up soon and retailers should be able to discount some bikes between Apr. 5 and Apr. 11... And retailers can go below the MSRP a bit, just not much and I'm not sure exactly how much. It might differ from retailer to retailer, but I don't think it does.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hmmmm interesting. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Well I finally pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a 13 Trek Cobia. Spent a little more than I wanted too but I really liked the feel of the Cobia over the Mamba. I think I drove the poor sales guy nuts going back and forth test riding them.

Rogue Exterminator
    Congrats, nothing wrong with going back and forth as long as the intention is to make a purchase. Hope you enjoy the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got mine for a little bit over 900 about a month ago, the dealer had it listed for that price. Did not have to haggle. What I would do is do the shop search on the trek website and then email each shop that pops up and ask them what their price is, maybe tell them you are ready to buy and they'll be more willing to tell you their price over email. Worked for me

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If you can find a 2012 Mamba, they come with better quality components according to almost everything I've read and even the pro's at my LBS say the same. FWIW I would start there, otherwise wait to see when the 14s come out and pick up a 13

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Well I finally pulled the trigger yesterday and bought a 13 Trek Cobia. Spent a little more than I wanted too but I really liked the feel of the Cobia over the Mamba. I think I drove the poor sales guy nuts going back and forth test riding them.
    Lol.
    I test road both as well didnt feel much different to me though. I was buying my girlfriend a bike as well so i went with a 2013 mamba matte black for $888.28 after tax. Got the girlfriend a 2012 skye sl $561 after tax. She didnt like the geometry of the 2013 sl which i agreed with. Got three years free tune ups and flat repairs. Trekfest ended the 15th but i am sure they will have another sale later in the summer when the 14'S come out. Didnt want to wait though wanted to enjoy the bikes in spring. Plus lbs get pretty busy as the weather gets better.
    Last edited by Anthony70; 04-16-2013 at 05:57 AM.