clutch
    Jul 2014

Best place for a 3 day weekend

A soon as my summer semester ends I want to get out on a long ride/camp. My leading choice right now is Palo Duro. I have been there once before and really enjoyed it, but the heat could be a big concern...

Anyone have a better place? Im central texas and dont mind a drive if its worth going to.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm not sure about best but Lake Murray, Oklahoma is worth a trip. It's fun and has about 20 miles of trails, easier trails to the north and more difficult to the south.

A multi-trail trip might be heading to Cameron Park trails in Waco, then to Tyler to hit Tyler State Park and Lindsey Park (and maybe Faulkner).

By the way, I'm in Dallas and want to ride the Lake Georgetown trails. I got rained out on the way back from a San Antonio road trip a few months ago and again a 2-3 weeks ago. Since you're from central Texas, would you consider the Lake Georgetown trails a good destination trail?

clutch
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for the ideas, that multi-trail trip sounds pretty fun actually. I have not been to Lake Georgetown trails before, so I'm not to sure but a pretty nice place by Austin is Reimers Ranch, has some annoying climbs but the back side is really nice. Also some awesome rock climbing out there I hear

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Garner State Park out southwest of Austin is supposed to be teriffic as a state park. Also crowded and full. Not sure about the trail scene though.

Palo Duro is such a long drive and bound to be hot as ballz this time of year.

Also, Cross Timbers trail up near Texoma is supposed to be pretty good, its regarded as kind of the Appalachian trail of Texas for hiking and has a 7 mile (one way) trail. Oops, quite a bit longer than that Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association

Plus, at Texoma you have the lake and all that entails. If you've never been, its an experience.

mtbr member

Garner SP is west of S.A. not Austin, maybe you're thinking of pedernales falls SP. Trails under construction there but not a real destination. The better place would be pace bend park, good camping, good trails and lake access. It's not far from Reimer's ranch.

Btw if you're thinking of riding lake Georgetown be warned it's VERY rocky. Not too steep but the rocks are relentless.

Check out www.austinbike.com for info, pix, maps for central tx trails

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by texacajun View Post
    Garner SP is west of S.A. not Austin, maybe you're thinking of pedernales falls SP. Trails under construction there but not a real destination. The better place would be pace bend park, good camping, good trails and lake access. It's not far from Reimer's ranch.

Btw if you're thinking of riding lake Georgetown be warned it's VERY rocky. Not too steep but the rocks are relentless.

Check out AustinBike.com - Your home for Central Texas Mountain Biking for info, pix, maps for central tx trails

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lol not meaning to pick a fight, but SA is S of Austin so that pretty much makes Garner SP SW of Austin like I said. There's a lot of good parks in Centex. I just hear a lot of good things about Garner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

I'll second Georgetown being "relentless". Lots of cheese grater type of rocks. South side is the roughest I think. I've ridden very little of the South side. Usually start at Overlook on the North side.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Lake Murray and Lake GT are both awesome destinations.

I spent last labor day weekend at lake Murray and, other then the relentless heat, had an awesome. We rode, swam, paddled, and camped. Trails were awesome. Just bring a cooler full of ice and maybe some type of fan for the tent and it should be a good trip.

I have also been to Lake GT a few times but never camped. I usually just make a day of doing a lap of the lake. Those trails are also awesome but are pretty tech. Might be harder to do multiple rides with the trails being one big loop.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post

Also, Cross Timbers trail up near Texoma is supposed to be pretty good, its regarded as kind of the Appalachian trail of Texas for hiking and has a 7 mile (one way) trail. Oops, quite a bit longer than that Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association

If you hit Cross Timbers, be prepared. A few of us went ~ a couple of years ago without a chosen route and there was a lot of hike-a-bike for us intermediate riders. Either be prepared for a tough ride or search for the easier loops. It's on my eventual to-do list to return.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    A lot of good ideas here, but did you consider Colorado Bend? Assuming you're in the Ft. Hood area because your post about Dana Peak you're not that far.

Home - Colorado Bend State Park Trail Project

Primitive camping and 30+ miles of trail.

I went to Palo Duro this March and it was absolutely awesome, however like others have mentioned it may be too hot this time of year. But you will definitely need to go sometime. Maybe next spring break, if you're a student.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Garner State Park is a great place but not for trail riding. It only has about 6-8 miles of trails. Other than scenery there's not much to them. Good for beginners I guess.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

The Tortoise
    Pace Bend ride and cliff jumping, Reimer's, and a dip in Hamilton Pool makes for a a nice weekend. All that junk is pretty close together west of Austin.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    LGT is hugely harder to ride than Dana Peak. Pace Bend, Reimers Ranch, Cameron Park in Waco all good. For 3 days I'd just stay in area and hit multitude of Austin area trails.