mtbr member
    May 2013

Best Austin rides for Houston newbie

I'm looking to head up in the austin area sometime during Thanksgiving week and wondering what the best places for me to ride are.

I'v eonly been riding for a handful of months and still trying to get a good climbing technique down. I want to avoid anything that's excessively techinical as I'm not ready physically and mentally to handle large drops and climbs. My comfort level is more moderate drops and climbs in the 6-8 foot range. I could handle larger drops and climbs if they're not too steep.

mtbr member
    Walnut Creek is the only place I have ridden in Austin, I think its a pretty fun set of trails.

http://www.austinbike.com/austin/143-walnut-creek

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah based on you're comfort levels I would highly suggest Walnut Creek also, that is if it's up and running after all the rain we had. I know it got flooded pretty bad.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Slaughter Creek Trail might be good too, if it's open from the rains by then.

Warda (Bluff Creek Ranch) is good on the way from Austin to Houston or vice-versa.

Brushy Creek (Deception) and Greenbelt will be a bit over your head if you're new.

mtbr member
    you will die alone in the woods of the Barton Creek Greenbelt if you go there. awesome place but not for newbs. I have no business going out there on my own either.

Walnut would be great. there are a few tricky technical features on that trail but most of the trails are pretty smooth.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    thanks all. Hopefully it won't rain that much. THe houston forcast is looking pretty ominous with rain through Tuesday. It sounds like Walnut Creek would be my best bet with just enough features to challenge me where I need the challenge to improve my skills.

mtbr member
    Good luck with the riding. We got a ton of rain in San Antonio this morning and my parents got a half inch outside of Dripping Springs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah, Walnut Creek won't be rideable any time this week. Normally it would be sooner, but with the low temperatures on top of the constant drizzle and light rain we have been getting, the saturation isn't drying up any time soon. I'd say that late Saturday afternoon or even Sunday will be the earliest possible time and maybe not even then. The entire area is super saturated and wet. If you don't respect the trails you ride and don't value your drivetrain, by all means ride. Otherwise write this week off.