MMS
    mtbr member

B.L.O.R.A Trail Condition?

Haven't been to BLORA (FT. Hood) in a few years. Anyone been recently? What kind of shape are the trails in? Well marked? Thinking about hitting it tomorrow.

Thanks!
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Haven't been but if it's a lost cause I was at Dana Peak Monday and it was good.

MMS
    mtbr member
    I live in Morgan's Point. I've been riding at Miller Springs mostly (3 miles from home), wanna change in scenery but am in a bit of a time crunch. BLORA's a bit closer to home. Definitely need to hit up Dana Peak soon, been a while for there too. Riding singlespeed so it's all gonna hurt. But a good hurt!

MMS
    mtbr member
    Heading to BLORA now if anyone wants to watch an old guy struggle.

MMS
    mtbr member
    B.L.O.R.A is in good shape, well marked...no problems. Did the intermediate loop. 7.5 rocky, rooty, miles. Spanked my ass on the hardtail SS. Got the endorphin idiot grin going big time. Got done, put the bike in the truck and the rain started (Knew it was coming, I was trying to outrun it). SO MUCH FUN!!!
    B.L.O.R.A Trail Condition?-blora.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

What trails are available at Miller Springs? I've been there many times but didn't see much in the way of biking trails. I live just east of Killeen going towards Nolanville. Would like to ride different areas.

Thx
    Dave

MMS
    mtbr member
    The Corps of Engineers opened it up recently. There's been trail work days I've heard, but don't know who's in charge. Maybe check with John at Sun Country, or Tri Cities? You can park in the parking lot, take the North Trail through the woods up top, then take the "sidewalk" across the open area, then Armadillo through the woods, then Lower Tennessee down the hill, from there it's about hunting. I've yet to establish a loop...but you can get about 5-6 miles in. Pretty smooth for the most part. It's 3 miles from home, so it's my go to ride most of the time.

My work/family schedule doesn't really offer a lot of time to go out on any of the Dana Peak group rides etc. I've just been squeezing in what I can when I can solo. Just got back on the bike semi-seriously a few months ago, and converted to SS. Whole different world. Depending on your schedule etc. I'd be happy to show you what I've found at Miller Springs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    May have to take you up on that sometime. I went out there towards the end of last year and rode down past where the wooden "sidewalk" ends. Looked like a little bit of a trail but it ended pretty quickly. Decided there wasn't much there.

I will definitely try it again. I do enjoy Dana Peak. I've been to Blora once but it was semi muddy under all the cedar trees so I had to keep to the more open areas.

Dave

MMS
    mtbr member
    The downside to Miller Springs is that it's a "Pickle Park" (lonely men looking for other lonely men )...so I'm a little hesitant to go bushwhackin' or getting off the obvious trails, not down to interrupt anything.

There's definitely some fun sections, and again since it's close to home I end up there more often than not.

There's another place nearby that would be ripe for some industrious types to do some "landscaping"...but I won't mention it publicly.

Thursday mornings are usually a good time for me to ride.

Mike
    p.s. I own C.C.'s Package Store in Morgan's Point...if you like the cold beer etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Didn't know about the extra curricular activities going on at Miller Springs. Kinda puts a damper on it doesn't it? I've been in C.C.'s in the past. May have to stop in sometime.

Dave

MMS
    mtbr member
    You definitely see too many single guys sitting in cars by themselves, and they pay way too much attention to you when you arrive alone. Usually I ride in and ride out, instead of trucking my bike in...just so there's no misconceptions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Come to think of it, when I was there last year I remember seeing a guy acting strange in the parking lot when I got back from riding. I kept an eye on him while I was putting my stuff up. He kept watching me. Kinda creeped me out. It was pretty early in the morning and cold. I kinda thought he might be waiting on me to leave so he could break in a vehicle there. He finally got in a pickup and left. I had seen a couple jogging earlier and I waited until they returned and mentioned to them that I thought someone might have been waiting to break in their vehicle. The guy didn't show back up and I left. Makes sense now.

Dave

MMS
    mtbr member
    Yep. Know exactly what you mean. Look out for the dudes backed into parking spaces (I've been told that's a "signal") or the dudes walking around that aren't dressed for hiking/outdoor recreation. When I do truck my bike in, I feel like anyone that sees me leaves the park thinks I'm "one of them". I've got zero problem with gay...but don't haunt public parks, that's just creepy.

mtbr member
    Apologies for the late reply, I just found the thread. There is a small handfull of us that have been slowly working on the trails at BLORA. We've managed to keep most of the main trails trimmed back, and the red trail is clear of overhang and fallen branches except in one spot where there is a fallen tree across the trail, but thats easy to just step/huck over. We are trying to revive some of the old lost trails out there so there is more rideable area. We also made two seperate bomb runs that pretty much go straight down the side of the ridge. We are about to start trying to clear some of the rockier areas out now, well with the exception of the river bed by the archery range and the huge landslide area next to the paintball course. I've marked all the open trails on STRAVA and labeled them with their original names from a very old map I found. Like someone said above, the trails are still rocky but they are a good challenge.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Haven t ridden minefield/snake/cleanup aisle 3, sidewinder,medevac descent, shadygrove-sleepyhollow, and the ascent in quite some time. The lower trails have been re-routed several times in the last several years due the stupid archery range land grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    Apologies for the late reply, I just found the thread. There is a small handfull of us that have been slowly working on the trails at BLORA. We've managed to keep most of the main trails trimmed back, and the red trail is clear of overhang and fallen branches except in one spot where there is a fallen tree across the trail, but thats easy to just step/huck over. We are trying to revive some of the old lost trails out there so there is more rideable area. We also made two seperate bomb runs that pretty much go straight down the side of the ridge. We are about to start trying to clear some of the rockier areas out now, well with the exception of the river bed by the archery range and the huge landslide area next to the paintball course. I've marked all the open trails on STRAVA and labeled them with their original names from a very old map I found. Like someone said above, the trails are still rocky but they are a good challenge.

Pedal Damnit
    Rode BLORA again for the first time in about 5 years. Still a good trail, well marked, pretty well maintained but the lower trails are in need of a little cleanup. The worst part right now is the spiders. Holy Hell, they're some kind of Army hybrid kevlar weaving super spiders. They are everywhere.
    Lost in Texaslation