Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Austin Trip in September

I will arriving in town on the September 11th and leaving on the 18th. I am coming to town for the Ole Miss game with my wife and meeting up with some friends. I am thinking that I may be able to fit in one ride on the morning of the 13th. My inquiry is two fold:

1. Where should I rent a bike from? I sold all my bikes except one mountain bike and one commuting bike when I started grad school. So, I no longer have an extra bikes for my wife if she decides she wants to ride.

2. What single trail should I hit? This trip is not a designated biking trip, so I am counting myself lucky to get to bike at all. This trip is more about having a good time with my wife and experiencing and Austin game day weekend. Most of my trip is planned except daytime Friday. I know my wife will want to do something outdoors, but I am not sure she will want to go mountain biking. She may want to go hiking, kayaking, non-mountain biking on a path after she lets me go out in the morning on my own. So....I need two options, one if my wife decides to bike and one if my wife does not. From reading other threads, it looks like Walnut Creek might be a good option either way.

This is my third trip to Austin, and I will be damned if I come to such a great bike city three times and don't get in the saddle at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    First off, all of your information is here:

AustinBike.com - So...You're Coming to Austin

Secondly, you will find everything you need to know about Austin mountain biking on my site.

Thirdly, if I am in the country at that time, I can show you the trails. I recommend the barton creek greenbelt, but without a guide it won't be as much fun.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member

Austin Trip in September

The green belt is really convenient because you have Bicycle Sport Shop that rents quality bikes. I'm sure others rent too but they're the only one I'm certain of. I disagree that you need a guide. Stay in the center along the creek and you'll be ok.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    AustinBike.com - So...You're Coming to Austin

A local rider maintains this site; lots of good info consolidated into one place.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ha beat me to it

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorSerioso View Post
    I disagree that you need a guide. Stay in the center along the creek and you'll be ok.
    That is like drinking non-alcoholic beer. Its not about getting lost, it is about enjoying the technical trail aspects.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorSerioso View Post
    . . . I disagree that you need a guide. Stay in the center along the creek and you'll be ok.
    Go with a guide if possible -- most of the awesome singletrack is NOT along the creek/main trail . . .
    Quiring KVA MS2 Stainless 29er SS
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | GHORBA | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks all. Austin bike, I had been on your site earlier today. My wife said she does want to ride, so that means that technical trails are out. However, she probably would not have a problem with me doing a lap with her, then a more technical lap without her. We decided not to bring my bike because our little car gets better gas mileage than my truck, and it sounds like the trail is close to the bike shop. We did the math, and it will cost less to drive the car and rent both bikes. I reserved a superfly 100 and a trek splash from Bicycle Sport Shop. I am looking forward to it!

mtbr member

Austin Trip in September

Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    That is like drinking non-alcoholic beer. Its not about getting lost, it is about enjoying the technical trail aspects.

I tire of the suggestion that you need a local to get around the trail and have fun. I heard it from EVERYONE when I visited; it almost had me convinced it was going to suck if I didn't. I went by myself and had a blast.

And your comment about experiencing the technical aspects of the trail is a bit subjective. I'm from Houston, Austin terrain in general is technical compared to here. If I tried to chase down some magical experience and force it to happen because someone says that's how you have to do it then that's a waste of time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I will let other Austin riders weigh in, but sticking to the main trail is missing the best parts. If you want to do that you are better off to ride walnut creek, which would be the same technical level as the greenbelt main trail and more interesting. The main trail of the greenbelt is clogged with runners, hikers and dogs off leash, so it is the worst part to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks again for the advice everyone. Based on all the information, I am leaning towards Walnut Creek. My wife likes to ride only because it means spending time with me. She does not handle technical trail well at all. In fact, I get yelled if I take her on something "too scary". I talked to the guy at Bicycle Sport World today, and he would not recommend taking my wife to Green Belt. He said it would make for a miserable day of waiting on her to walk a lot. I decided to just driving my truck and bring my bike, while renting the superfly 100 for my wife. This is because Walnut Creek seems to be about 12 miles a way from Bicycle Sport Shop, and I would be hard pressed to get my wife to ride 24 miles round trip on a mountain bike to hit a trail.

Again thanks for all the advice. I am sure I will be back in Austin, as I have come three times in three years (Yeah, I love your city and would totally move there at the right time). Next time I will try and hook up with a group ride at the Green Belt.

This is my agenda in case anyone wants to make some non-bike related recommendations.

Wednesday - Arrive around noon. Find something to eat and take my wife shopping on Congress. Stop at Perlas for a drink. Hit up Clive Bar or Lustre Pearl (SP?) for a drink. Find a rooftop bar to hang out at into the night.

Thursday - Free day. Just hang out downtown during the day. Grab lunch at the Iron Cactus. Meet up with local friends for dinner.

Friday - Outdoors-man day. Mountain biking in the morning. Hiking, kayaking, or something during the afternoon. Meet up with other friends in town for the game for a little nightlife.

Saturday - Tailgate and game.

Sunday - Find a good early lunch/brunch spot and head back home.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by codwater View Post
    Thanks again for the advice everyone. Based on all the information, I am leaning towards Walnut Creek. My wife likes to ride only because it means spending time with me. She does not handle technical trail well at all. In fact, I get yelled if I take her on something "too scary". I talked to the guy at Bicycle Sport World today, and he would not recommend taking my wife to Green Belt. He said it would make for a miserable day of waiting on her to walk a lot. I decided to just driving my truck and bring my bike, while renting the superfly 100 for my wife. This is because Walnut Creek seems to be about 12 miles a way from Bicycle Sport Shop, and I would be hard pressed to get my wife to ride 24 miles round trip on a mountain bike to hit a trail.

Again thanks for all the advice. I am sure I will be back in Austin, as I have come three times in three years (Yeah, I love your city and would totally move there at the right time). Next time I will try and hook up with a group ride at the Green Belt.

This is my agenda in case anyone wants to make some non-bike related recommendations.

Wednesday - Arrive around noon. Find something to eat and take my wife shopping on Congress. Stop at Perlas for a drink. Hit up Clive Bar or Lustre Pearl (SP?) for a drink. Find a rooftop bar to hang out at into the night.

Thursday - Free day. Just hang out downtown during the day. Grab lunch at the Iron Cactus. Meet up with local friends for dinner.

Friday - Outdoors-man day. Mountain biking in the morning. Hiking, kayaking, or something during the afternoon. Meet up with other friends in town for the game for a little nightlife.

Saturday - Tailgate and game.

Sunday - Find a good early lunch/brunch spot and head back home.
    At Clive look up John. Killer bartender, tell him Steph and Bryan sent you. Ask him about his cool ass bull dogs (Butcher and Brisket, IIRC?).

For Sunday brunch take the wiff to Moon Shine on Red River.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gillespie View Post
    At Clive look up John. Killer bartender, tell him Steph and Bryan sent you. Ask him about his cool ass bull dogs (Butcher and Brisket, IIRC?).

Thanks. I looked at the menu at Moon Shine, and the first item is my all-time favorite breakfast food, migas! I have officially added that to my agenda.

Last time I was in town I hung out at Clive for an afternoon. It had such a nice vibe, and they played killer music. I could have stayed there for much longer than I did. I am torn on whether to go back there or check out somewhere I haven't been. I am leaning towards going back there since my wife has never been.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    there is a bicycle sports shop in north austin which is only 5 miles from walnut creek park. The south location will ship bikes to the north location. I recommend you print out a map of walnut creek with the trail marker #'s and bring it with you. The trails intersect and you will get confused. Doing the same loop over and over is boring. If you are interested I bet you can find someone to lead you on a walnut creek ride too.

You can also look at strava to get a better idea of what the main loop is.

9am sunday that time of the year, the austin ridge riders to a beginners lead ride. It could be fun to do that on the way out of town.

South congress cafe is great, I highly recommend it. Or you can eat at the food trucks.

If you like sushi, uchi is expensive but really good. austin has a ton good restaurants barley swine, uchi/uchiko, congress, olivia, la condesa, carrilon etc. You can search for those names and it will pull up lists with other choices.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If I am in the country and work changes I may be able to ride with you. Because I lean on people for rides around the world when I travel, I like to pay back the karma. At a minimum post up on the mojo forum and you can probably find someone to ride with.

Walnut is a spaghetti bowl but you can't really get "lost" but it is easy to be confused and end up riding the same trails over and over.

mtbr member

Re: Austin Trip in September

Quote Originally Posted by B Gillespie View Post
    This.

And follow the blue dots at walnut. And watch out for hikers and dog poo.
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

Natty Dread
    Doing a trip in late Sept. Itinerary as of right now is Reveille Peak Ranch, Flat Ranch and Barton Creek Greenbelt. Realize those first two are longer drives but from what I've read on Austinbike and other sites they really are the best zones in Central/East Texas. Austinbike...would love to get in a ride with you on the Greenbelt if you have time. Probably going to be Sunday Sept 29th in the morning. Cheers, FP.

mtbr member
    looks like I will be definitely relocating to Austin. Will be stuck living in hotel for at least 2 months before I can get into a house. Staying around arboretum area, which I think is near walnut creek. anyone ride there frequently looking for riding partner. I should be hitting Austin around May 7th and bringing the bike
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Pedals View Post
    Doing a trip in late Sept. Itinerary as of right now is Reveille Peak Ranch, Flat Ranch and Barton Creek Greenbelt. Realize those first two are longer drives but from what I've read on Austinbike and other sites they really are the best zones in Central/East Texas. Austinbike...would love to get in a ride with you on the Greenbelt if you have time. Probably going to be Sunday Sept 29th in the morning. Cheers, FP.
    Reveille is a must hit. Touch base as it gets closer.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by endo_2011 View Post
    looks like I will be definitely relocating to Austin. Will be stuck living in hotel for at least 2 months before I can get into a house. Staying around arboretum area, which I think is near walnut creek. anyone ride there frequently looking for riding partner. I should be hitting Austin around May 7th and bringing the bike
    Lots of walnut riders on BiKeMoJo.com

Depending on what you like, tons of trails close to where you'll be.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Walnuts a whole 200 acres. Getting lost means backtracking the same sections. Weekdays are better than those other two dog day afternoons. Once you figure it out there's more or less an hour of tight fast single track. I'm close enough to ride from home which makes it much better. Lots of hard works been done to keep the trails obviously oriented to favor bikers and, even on weekends, the walkers have respect which blows my west coast mind. Enjoy it while it lasts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Pedals View Post
    Should be in the country, don't travel much these days so let me know when you want to ride the greenbelt. I can usually do a Saturday or Sunday. That time of year it is still hot, but the weather is starting to break. Assume a start at ~9 most days to beat the heat. And bring lots of water.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_2011 View Post
    Depending on your level there are lots of trails near the arboretum that you can ride to within a few miles. You can actually ride to walnut from the arboretum mostly on trails, but it is about 8 miles. Post here and I can show you how to get to walnut and other trails near the arboretum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    Depending on your level there are lots of trails near the arboretum that you can ride to within a few miles. You can actually ride to walnut from the arboretum mostly on trails, but it is about 8 miles. Post here and I can show you how to get to walnut and other trails near the arboretum.
    sweet. looking forward to killing a lot on the bike while I wait for wife to show up in town.
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you want to hit the greenbelt some time let me know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast