Thread: Austin Trip

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Austin Trip

Hi. Taking an Austin trip in Sept. I have a couple days to kill and would like to do some riding.

I'm from NJ and ride technical trails but also love the flow. Not a beginner.

Just let me know any riding trails worth the trip around Austin and any links you can plug in for trail maps/info. Top trail systems I should not miss? Any bike parks out there?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Here's a link to the thread at the top of this forum. Here's a link to an Austin trail resource. Having ridden in Jersey before, your terrain is similar to here. Loads of rocks and a tendency for technical riding. There aren't a lot of flow trails around here nor is there a load of elevation change. Most places tend to have elevation gains listed in the hundreds not thousands. The closest we have to a flow trail is Walnut Creek. It's considered a beginner to low intermediate trail but can be a lot of fun if you ride it fast. There are some newer sections that are a blast. If you like a bit of flow and a lot of tech, get to Brushy Creek. The main trail there called Deception starts out as a more XC style flowish trail and then ramps up difficulty quickly after a mid way point (Swag Rock) about 3 or so miles in. Loads of rocks and the square edged limestone drops/climbs Austin is known for. There are loads of other trails around Brushy Creek worth looking into. A couple of jump zones, some seriously gnarly side trails and a close by bike shop (The Peddler) that is a great resource. Plus there is a brewery/coffee shop next door. City Park (Emma Long Motorcycle Trail) is a technical trail that's about 5.25 miles long that will make you feel like you did 20. One of the iconic Austin trails. It's shared with motorcycles, but you can hear them coming and get to the side easily. Very technical riding and not for beginners.

I would be an ass if I didn't mention the Barton Creek Greenbelt considered the crown jewel of Austin trails. Close to 50 miles of trails in the middle of the city. Some tame, some very serious technical sections. The main trail from Zilker Park to The Hill Of Life is pretty tame and can get crowded on the weekends, but the side trails are where the magic is. There are no maps so don't bother looking. I would go here and ask for a guide to the good stuff.

A heads up about riding here in September. It's still hot as hell with temps still getting into the 100's at times. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. A lot of us night ride or go out at the crack of dawn at that time of year. Throw ice in your hydration pack. Think about sodium pills and drink more than you think you will need to before hand. Look on the Austin Bikes link above to look for trails with good tree cover. Try not to ride hung over.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thank you for all the great information!

Yea, the only thing I am afraid of is the heat but I've been to vegas in the summer riding Bootleg and acclimated to humid NE summers. So I'm guessing I'll be alright?

Are any of the trails your mentioned part of Goodwater Trails/Lake Georgetown Loop? or is it vice versa? What makes this listed as an IMBA epic?
    https://www.imba.com/epics/goodwater...eorgetown-loop

Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    Try not to ride hung over
    I'll be sure not to This will be before the bachelor party weekend I am going to

mtbr member
    If you get a day where you can ride outside of Austin you should definitely hit up Reveille Peak Ranch or Colorado Bend State park. Both offer miles of tech and great scenery.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by THATmanMANNY View Post
    Thank you for all the great information!

Yea, the only thing I am afraid of is the heat but I've been to vegas in the summer riding Bootleg and acclimated to humid NE summers. So I'm guessing I'll be alright?

Are any of the trails your mentioned part of Goodwater Trails/Lake Georgetown Loop? or is it vice versa? What makes this listed as an IMBA epic?
    https://www.imba.com/epics/goodwater...eorgetown-loop

I'll be sure not to This will be before the bachelor party weekend I am going to
    The Lake Georgetown Trail (Goodwater) is a great one. But be aware that a lot of the volcanic rock there is like a cheese grater for tires. Loads of sidewall gashes. It sucks when you are 15 miles from your car and are streaming sealant like a river. Great tech with not a lot of elevation change. What climbing there is tends to be steep and punchy. I've only ridden the whole loop once and it really gassed me. I would consider it if the temps and humidity isn't too high and not solo. You would need a local to show you where to top off on water as it isn't apparent at some of the parks around the lake. You might consider segments of it if the temps are high. There are miles of it without tree cover and that is a killer in the heat. But if you think you can handle it and go into it with some planning, you should hit it. Personally I like the Greenbelt and Brushy Creek more. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Ping me when you get closer to your trip. I can give you a greenbelt tour, hard to ride without one. If you ride a large I might have a bike for you to borrow too.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Austin Trip

Where are you staying while in town? How fast of a fella are ya?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sorry I've been out of touch with the internet

Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    Ping me when you get closer to your trip. I can give you a greenbelt tour, hard to ride without one. If you ride a large I might have a bike for you to borrow too.
    That would be awesome. I definitely will PM you. The Greenbelt is on my list so I would definitely need a tour. I currently ride a large with short stem

I've been using austinbike.com as one of my sources!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Where are you staying while in town? How fast of a fella are ya?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I haven't confirmed place to stay yet but in the city area.
    I'm no Cat1 racer but I'm pretty fit and can ride for a while. Always down for whatever

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My riding plans. Any locals for tours would be much appreciated!

Day 1: Brushy Creek & Greenbelt same day
    Day 2: Reveille Peak Ranch
    Day 3: Goodwater

I really want to hit up Emma Long too...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by THATmanMANNY View Post
    My riding plans. Any locals for tours would be much appreciated!

Day 1: Brushy Creek & Greenbelt same day
    Day 2: Reveille Peak Ranch
    Day 3: Goodwater

I really want to hit up Emma Long too...
    You're aggressive. Instead of BCGB and Brushy I can give you 20+ on the GB in one day easily, then you don't have to transition. Rumor has it that Reveille Peak is getting ripped up and not worth the drive. You could do brushy on day 2.

You'll be broken by the end of the 3rd day. Are you a highly technical rider? That will be important for all of those. Our trails are not like others, lots of rocks, ledges and quick ups and downs. Very little smooth singletrack compared to most places.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    I say GB day one with AB. Then do the WHOLE goodwater loop day 2. And if you still want more do rpr day 3. All the black trails at rpr should still be gtg.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    Rumor has it that Reveille Peak is getting ripped up and not worth the drive.
    True that they tore up some trails to add a wide dirt road, but 95% of the existing trails are staying. Reveille is, in my opinion, the best trail system on the list - a must see in the area.

For non-locals, I think the Greenbelt isn't a good option because it's mostly unmapped (but if you can get a tour, it's highly worth it), and the Goodwater loop isn't a good option because there are no bailout points, so you're committing to a 26 mile ride and it's full of tire-slashing karst limestone.